The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN; Corison, Bart Park, Winners

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

WTN; Corison, Bart Park, Winners

by Brian K Miller » Mon May 20, 2013 3:50 pm

1998 Corison Napa Valley. My first bottle was corked. This was amazingly lively in the red cherry fruit side of things. Still very primary, actually! Should this have been held? The acidity reminds me quite a bit of Mayacamas, actually.

1998 Corison Kronos Vineyard. This was a WOW wine. Showed much more maturity than the "Napa Valley" bottling. Not "old" or anywhere near over the hill, just warm, and savory, and earthy and plummy, and delicious. Quite nice!

Bartholemew Park Rose (mostly Pinot Noir). A new wine for this winery! Sampled at a nice picnic on the winery grounds, this rose was so deliciously tangy and zippy...there is a strong note of high toned savoryness here that is rate in rose. Fantastic.

Bartholemew Park Chardonnay (Sonoma Valley). Another BP wine with a delicious tangy edge to the Chardonnay fruit. They really nailed this one. I usually skip Chardonnay, but...

2007 Bartholemew Park Syrah (Estate). Wow. Delicious again. Full of herbal Syrah-ness with nice, warm mellow tones and a delicious plum fruit with cherries.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Cathy Corison

Rank

Cellar rat

Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:32 pm

Re: WTN; Corison, Bart Park, Winners

by Cathy Corison » Mon May 27, 2013 2:08 pm

:oops: A replacement bottle of 98 Corison Napa Cabernet Sauvingnon to replace your corked bottle is on its way!
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Mon May 27, 2013 3:16 pm

Cathy Corison wrote::oops: A replacement bottle of 98 Corison Napa Cabernet Sauvingnon to replace your corked bottle is on its way!

That's a WOW, too! Talk about customer service.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Mon May 27, 2013 3:35 pm

That is a very nice first post.
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Tue May 28, 2013 1:07 pm

Cathy Corison wrote::oops: A replacement bottle of 98 Corison Napa Cabernet Sauvingnon to replace your corked bottle is on its way!

Wow...Cathy that was not expected.

Cork is just a fact of life and I don't get too broken up about it.

Thank you! Thank You! Thank You!
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Jon Leifer

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:34 pm

by Jon Leifer » Tue May 28, 2013 1:20 pm

WOW indeed..great service, and unsolicited, from a great winemaker..
Jon
no avatar
User

Cathy Corison

Rank

Cellar rat

by Cathy Corison » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:13 am

Corks. You can't live with them; you can't live without them.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:58 pm

Jon Leifer wrote:WOW indeed..great service, and unsolicited, from a great winemaker..

Applause from me, too.

Note to Mark Vlassic at St. Innocent Winery in Oregon: this is how it's done. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:33 am

I'm going to add another tasting note to this thread because I stopped at Corison on Saturday (Damn it was so amazingly hot that day! Now the temps droppped thirty degrees and there was this amazing cloudbank driving in today.)

2009 HELIOS Cabernet Franc. The new vintage of one of my top three California Cab Francs was delicious. Definitely on the higher acid, medium mouth feel side of things. Fantastic. I actually liked this vintage even more than the 2008, as it shared the tangy green tobacco but had had a touch more richness in the rich red plum fruit. A winner of a taste!

They also had an unusual bottling of PETIT SIRAH. Apparantly, their Kronos vineyard was originally Petiti Sirah! When they grafted the vineyard over to Cabernet, some vines did not take. Their children were
"trained" to find the PS vines, and they bottled a Petit Sirah in 2000 and 2001? (Maybe more vintages, I didn't ask). Am looking forward to trying this wine!

The 2005 Napa Valley is coming along very nicely, too! Almost ready!
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

by Jason Hagen » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:12 pm

Thanks for the notes. The 98s are really good. IIRC they were not highly touted back in the day.

Class Class Class. And rockin wines. Like the combo.

Jason
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

by Jason Hagen » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:13 pm

Jenise wrote:
Note to Mark Vlassic at St. Innocent Winery in Oregon: this is how it's done. :)

:lol: IIRC he has changed his policy. But you never know.

J
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:18 am

Jason Hagen wrote:Thanks for the notes. The 98s are really good. IIRC they were not highly touted back in the day.

Jason

for certain reviewers and wineries that dont insist on cabernet which tastes like cough syrup, I think 1998 was a mighty fine year. :)

I can't wait until the 2011s start coming out!
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:47 pm

Brian K Miller wrote:
Jason Hagen wrote:Thanks for the notes. The 98s are really good. IIRC they were not highly touted back in the day.

Jason

for certain reviewers and wineries that dont insist on cabernet which tastes like cough syrup, I think 1998 was a mighty fine year. :)

Don't paint every wine with the same brush. There were early rains that year and it depends on when people picked their grapes, location of vineyards, some vineyards simply didn't ripen enough before the rains etc. Cathy doesn't make cabernets that taste like cough syrup even in ripe years so a lot depends on the winemaker.
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:27 am

Thanks to Cathy's generosity toward I fellow WLDGer I'm going to purchaser some Corison wine after a long hiatus.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Cathy Corison

Rank

Cellar rat

by Cathy Corison » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:00 am

Sam Platt wrote:Thanks to Cathy's generosity toward I fellow WLDGer I'm going to purchaser some Corison wine after a long hiatus.

Thank you!
no avatar
User

Cathy Corison

Rank

Cellar rat

by Cathy Corison » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:04 am

Lou Kessler wrote:
Brian K Miller wrote:

Jason

Don't paint every wine with the same brush. There were early rains that year and it depends on when people picked their grapes, location of vineyards, some vineyards simply didn't ripen enough before the rains etc. Cathy doesn't make cabernets that taste like cough syrup even in ripe years so a lot depends on the winemaker.

The biggest challenge in 1998 was the cold rainy weather during bloom. Set was crummy and uneven. It was essential to drop the laggards at [i]veraison[i]. Many were reluctant as the crop was small and the economy was booming.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:10 am

Lou Kessler wrote:Don't paint every wine with the same brush. There were early rains that year and it depends on when people picked their grapes, location of vineyards, some vineyards simply didn't ripen enough before the rains etc. Cathy doesn't make cabernets that taste like cough syrup even in ripe years so a lot depends on the winemaker.

I am not meaning to do that at all, Lou! And I understand the challenges of the vintages. All I meant to do was comment on "general" dismissal of the vintage by some, but not all, critics!

And Cathy obviously makes classic style cabernets that are always delicious. :shock: