The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Ridge Mazzoni HomeRanch '09...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Ridge Mazzoni HomeRanch '09...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Mon May 20, 2013 1:47 pm

Tried this last night:
1. Ridge Mazzoni HomeRanch/SonomaCnty (67% Zin/31% Carignane/2% PS; 14.6%; 46 brls; Bttld: 5/11;
Drk: 3/11-3/17-3/19: EB) 2009
: Very dark color; strong blackberry/boysenberry/Zin bit licorice/pungent dusty/OV light vanilla/oak rather spicy/peppery lovely nose; fairly soft slight alcoholic rich/ripe/blackberry/boysenberry/Zin quite spicy bit peppery/pungent some dusty/OV light vanilla/Am.oak/pencilly rather balanced/structured flavor w/ modest tannins; quite long light vanilla/Am.oak strong blackberry/Zin/boysenberry light peppery/spicy quite balanced finish w/ smooth/modest tannins; a really lovely Zin that seems more RRV than DCV; one of the best Mazzonis I can recall. $28.00 (ATP)
1. ATP: I had long expressed my disaffection with the Ridge ATP program to DonnReisen. I'd often find them just one (small) step above the Ridge 3Vllys/LyttonStation/CoastRange/EastBench/etc line of Zins, but nothing really special...just another pleasant Ridge Zin. True, they often had this way of being kinda underwhelming on release and they rising up and biting you on the a$$ w/ how well they'd evolved. Sometimes/sometimes not. Donn would sorta roll his eyes at me in that avuncular way he had (Jeez...I miss that guy) and explain to me (once again) that they'd rather put their effort into their flagship Zins (Lytton/Geyserville/Pagani/Dusi) and make them the best they possibly could. Awwwright...I could accept that..I guess.
But over the last yr, it seems to me that the Ridge ATP's have been ratcheting up noticably in quality. Well...there is the problem w/ the Carignan, I guess. But the last two ATP Zin releases (last month the Buchagnani '09, now this Mazzoni '09) have been distinctly improved..at least on release.
Don't know if it's a conscious decision by Ridge to upgrade their ATP Zins. Or if it's because they seem to be releasing them w/ more btl age on them. Or what the heck. But these last two ATP Zins were, I thought, right up there w/ the flagship Ridge Zins. More intensity of fruit, bit more distinctive in character (not just another ho-hum Ridge ATP Zin), less of the Draper perfume...all that sort of thing. But it seems like I'm getting more of an adrenaline rush when my Ridge ATP box shows up on my doorstep. Next thing you know...gasp....I'll be looking forward to those Carignans as well.
Tom
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

Re: WTN: Ridge Mazzoni HomeRanch '09...(short/boring)

by Brian Gilp » Mon May 20, 2013 7:31 pm

How's this compare to the 2008? The wife likes the 2008 so much she reloaded a case on my account for us. Am I to expect the same when our 2009 arrives?

And as I said before, you can just ship your Carignane to me. We like it.
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Well...

by TomHill » Tue May 21, 2013 9:23 am

Brian Gilp wrote:How's this compare to the 2008? The wife likes the 2008 so much she reloaded a case on my account for us. Am I to expect the same when our 2009 arrives?
And as I said before, you can just ship your Carignane to me. We like it.

Well, Brian...I've not had them side-by-side, so can't really say. But I don't recall being particularly impressed by the '08.
This '09 I liked quite a lot.
Tom
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

Re: WTN: Ridge Mazzoni HomeRanch '09...(short/boring)

by James Dietz » Tue May 21, 2013 11:19 am

I guess this is coming, or came, in my May consolidated shipment. Looking forward to it out of the box.

And I have some of the Jimsomare Chard coming too.. looking forward to getting that as well.
Cheers, Jim