The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Beaujolais Visit part 6: Tête & Lapierre

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: Beaujolais Visit part 6: Tête & Lapierre

by Saina » Sun May 19, 2013 8:03 pm

Tête was a winery I have only had one wine from before so it was exciting to visit them and try more. Unfortunately here I would have needed more French. But we got on somehow: I spoke superbad French, Michel and his wife spoke much better English.

Michel Tête / Domaine du Clos du Fief
Juliénas 2012 – a very pretty wine, lean fruit, racy structure and very refreshing.

St. Amour Les Capitans 2012 – really nice wine, perfumed, relatively light, well structured but not harsh at all, very refreshing. Very attractive.

Juliénas Cuvée Prestige 2011 – a sweet, very ripe wine; plenty of tannins, much fruit, but also good acidity. Hold and it will probably become something very nice.

Juliénas Cuvée Prestige 2006 – this was a nice treat: mature, and magnificently perfumed; soft palate initially, yet then it becomes quite firm on the finish. Refreshing. Great stuff.

St. Amour L'Exception 2009 – a freak year; and a freakish wine. All other Têtes were wonderfully refreshing but this one was heavy and ponderous and the only one of their wines that I didn't want to drink huge amounts of.

From what I understood, they don't use only autochthonous yeasts, but instead use a starter yeast of neutral aromas. Other than that they seem to be “natural” if I understood their French.

Mathieu Lapierre

On our last day we had a quick tasting at Lapierre. Mathieu has made wines since 2004 with Marcel and continues to make wine in that style. Mathieu had opened numerous bottles the previous day, so we got to try an exceptionally large amount of bottles – both sulfured and non-sulfured.

2012 – here the sulfur wasn't noticeable and both cuvées were attractive; both were in a leaner style as expected of the year.

2011 – a much richer year and the non-sulfured cuvée was very fresh and vivid but the sulfured was only very nice and felt a bit tight.

2010 – here I didn't see much difference between the sulfured and non-sulfured cuvées: both were bright and refreshing and savoury.

2009 – I must confess that though I usually like Lapierre, this vintage seemed a bit too raisiny and hot year in style for me.

2008 – sulfur isn't always bad. In this vintage I thought the sulfured cuvée was much more fresh and lively than the non-sulfured one.

Cuvée Marcel Lapierre 2011 – a huge, massive, sweet and concentrated wine; yet with an amazing level of freshness and liveliness, too!

Cuvée Marcel Lapierre 2009 – raisiny. And I don't like that. As in almost all wines on this trip, I preferred the “basic” wines to the fancy cuvées.

I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Beaujolais Visit part 6: Tête & Lapierre

by David M. Bueker » Sun May 19, 2013 8:18 pm

What a great trip! I hope I can do that some day.

2010 Lapierre Morgon (sulfured) is one of my top 3 wines so far this year. It is just so pure!
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Wed May 22, 2013 4:32 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:What a great trip! I hope I can do that some day.

2010 Lapierre Morgon (sulfured) is one of my top 3 wines so far this year. It is just so pure!

I very much suggest doing such a trip. If you do go and you need someone to carry your bags, I'll meet you Lyon! :D

And yes, the Lapierre 2010s were great. Funnily enough, I've usually preferred the other "great", Foillard, over Lapierre. I can't really explain why. Funny things these preferences.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:12 am

British Columbia

by John S » Wed May 22, 2013 6:43 pm

Thanks very much for these in depth trip reports, they are very much appreciated. I hope to get to this region sometime soon...
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed May 22, 2013 9:58 pm

Otto wrote:Funnily enough, I've usually preferred the other "great", Foillard, over Lapierre. I can't really explain why.

More dimension to the wines? Lapierre may have been unique back in the 90s, but since I started drinking these wines in the 2000s, it hasn't even been a contest in my mind.