Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Lights / WeeksEnd wine

no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:31 pm

Lights / WeeksEnd wine

by Harry J » Fri May 24, 2013 11:12 am

b'sd
Table set with fine linen and elegant flatware, crystal goblets properly positioned.
Final touch to light the candles. Holding the flame to the wick the tiny flame seems almost upside down(kind of how I feel myself at times during the week).
Finally the the fire catches the candles are lit.
Have a good one; h
no avatar
User

Isaac Chavel

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:54 am

Re: Lights / WeeksEnd wine

by Isaac Chavel » Sun May 26, 2013 12:40 am

Hi, Harry, shavu'a tov,

A nasty springtime Shabbat in NYC called a more substantial wine, so we opened 2010 Tzora Shoresh. Talk about substantial! It took till Shabbat AM to settle down. Even then it was a powerful wine with nose to match. But it was also strange. The back label describes it as 61% Cabernet Sauvignon, 23% Syrah, 16% Merlot. But the dominant taste was the Syrah! Has anyone else reported about this wine? Or, are my taste buds that far off?

I have two more bottles. It seems appropriate to me to let them cellar for another year or yea-and-a-half before trying again.

A good week to all,

Isaac
User

YoelA

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:43 pm

San Francisco area

by YoelA » Sun May 26, 2013 2:09 am

Still getting over our jet lag so I went wih a nice easygoing wine, 2007 Carmel Road pinot noir.
no avatar
User

Shawn Johnson

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:28 pm

by Shawn Johnson » Sun May 26, 2013 2:29 am

Borgo Reale Maturo 2010. Awesome with my bistecca

Dalton SV Meron Cab Sauv 2011. Drank beautifully

Good week to all.
User

David Raccah

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:18 am

Bay Area, CA

by David Raccah » Sun May 26, 2013 4:31 am

Isaac Chavel wrote:Hi, Harry, shavu'a tov,

A nasty springtime Shabbat in NYC called a more substantial wine, so we opened 2010 Tzora Shoresh. Talk about substantial! It took till Shabbat AM to settle down. Even then it was a powerful wine with nose to match. But it was also strange. The back label describes it as 61% Cabernet Sauvignon, 23% Syrah, 16% Merlot. But the dominant taste was the Syrah! Has anyone else reported about this wine? Or, are my taste buds that far off?

I have two more bottles. It seems appropriate to me to let them cellar for another year or yea-and-a-half before trying again.

A good week to all,

Isaac

What Syrah flavor(s) are you specifically noticing? Many of the 2010 wines I tasted in Israel show blueberry, Cabernet and Merlot alike, quite funny.
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
no avatar
User

Isaac Chavel

Rank

Wine guru

by Isaac Chavel » Sun May 26, 2013 8:04 am

What Syrah flavor(s) are you specifically noticing? Many of the 2010 wines I tasted in Israel show blueberry, Cabernet and Merlot alike, quite funny.

Sorry, I can't pick out individual flavors. I only drink wine holisitically.
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:46 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Sun May 26, 2013 9:12 am

Shavua tov Harry,

Friday night:

Yatir, Sauvignon Blanc 2010: I last tasted this wine in January and back then it had a strange funky smell of dirty socks so I was very concerned with this bottle. Luckily it was perfectly fine! :)
Pale straw with slightly green reflections, on the nose freshly cut grass, grapefruit and lime. Light to medium-bodied with on the palate still good acid as well as citrus fruits, quince, kiwi and somewhat salty stone minerals with a grassy tone showing on the finish. Very nice and refreshing white wine.

HHW, Pardess, Merlot 2007: Another excellent bottle from a winery that is quite infamous for its bottle variation issue. A Merlot that has been aged 18 months in french oak barrels. Very dark garnet in color with on the nose plums, blackberries, raspberries, wood and mint-flavored chocolate (think After Eight). Full-bodied with on the palate layers of ripe dark fruit, plums, cherries, tobacco, vanilla, sweet cedar and dark chocolate with tannins rising on the long finish as the wine develops and opens up in the glass. Beautiful Merlot!

Shiloh, Secret Reserve, Petite Sirah 2007: A blend of 90% Petite Sirah and 10% Cabernet Sauvignon aged 16 months in two-years old french oak barrels. Very dark plum red towards purple wit on the nose ripe crushed berries, sweet plums, cracked pepper, oak and dark chocolate. Full-bodied and super extracted with on the palate sweet candied-like blackberries, cherries, a hint of dates, sweet oriental spices and more pepper and backer's chocolate with nice tannins and acid lingering on the very long and luscious finish. A superb Petite Sirah, and despite its lack of blueberries on both nose and palate which I crave for with Petite Sirah, I really loved this very hard to find wine.

Shabbat lunch:

Elvi, Clasico 2008: This is a mevushal blend of 88% Tempranillo and 12% Merlot with essentially strong notes of cold turkish coffee and leather on both nose and palate. Lacking in body, structure fruit and complexity I didn't like it at all.

Best,

GG
no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:31 pm

by Harry J » Sun May 26, 2013 9:45 am

Hi; enjoyed the dalton petit sirah 2010.And surprisingly weinstock cab 2010 was a pleasant quaffer.h
no avatar
User

Gedalya P

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:01 am

by Gedalya P » Sun May 26, 2013 10:16 am

First was an amazingly delicious Gvaot Herodian Vineyards Dance 2011. The Cabernet was very nice, but the Vineyards Dance was scrumptious. It was an elegant blend of Cabernet, Merlot, and Petite Verdot and was a complex sum of its parts.
We also tasted a Dalton Reserve Shiraz 2010. It was made with 96% Shiraz and 4% Viognier, the magic grape. The elegance and spiciness showed the French style of the Dalton wines at its best. The finish was a pleasurable dream. I really enjoyed these wines.
From Cellar 18 in Ramat Beit Shemesh
no avatar
User

Steven B

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:59 am

by Steven B » Sun May 26, 2013 10:22 am

Hi Harry,

2011 Recanati Petite Sirah-Zinfandel Reserve

Shavua Tov
no avatar
User

gaston k

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:32 pm

by gaston k » Sun May 26, 2013 10:50 am

Fri Night - Four Gates 2008 MSC Merlot - Benyo's best.
Sat lunch - Maredsous Blond Belgian Ale - try it if you like Duvel but want something a little heartier.
no avatar
User

Isaac C

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:53 pm

NYC

by Isaac C » Sun May 26, 2013 2:05 pm

Friday night - I had the 1848 5th Generation Cabernet Franc with Sous Vide Veal Breast in a beer and honey reduction and then for the main an amazing Sous Vide Ribeye. The wine was delicious, full bodied, dark fruits, and very soft smooth tannins. Shabbos day it was drinking just as well. I also had a can of Alchemist Heady Topper which was excellent.
no avatar
User

Jonathan K

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:23 pm

by Jonathan K » Sun May 26, 2013 4:51 pm

Shirah Coalition 2011 with steak and rice. Yum.

Saturday lunch: Four Gates Chardonnay 2009. Still charming and delicious, it doesn't seem to be aging as gracefully as most Four Gates Chards. Initially this was very viognier-like and it still has some qualities that are reminiscent of that but as it has lost a little fruit there has been no real increase in complexity. Not that it really matters, I am sure you can't find it anymore. I just have a few bottles left. Glad to open a bottle for any forumites that find themselves in Charleston, SC.

Shavua Tov!!
no avatar
User

lewis.pasco

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon May 01, 2006 12:41 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

by lewis.pasco » Sun May 26, 2013 7:57 pm

Sorry, I can't pick out individual flavors. I only drink wine holisitically.

On Shabbos, Isaac, I would have thought you drink wine only holystically!
Life is too short to drink bad wine.
no avatar
User

Isaac Chavel

Rank

Wine guru

by Isaac Chavel » Sun May 26, 2013 11:49 pm

On Shabbos, Isaac, I would have thought you drink wine only holystically!

:)
User

Yehoshua Werth

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 19, 2011 3:29 pm

Monsey, New York USA

by Yehoshua Werth » Mon May 27, 2013 8:42 pm

2011 Soreka Cabernet Sauvignon - Oh a little leather and dark fruit .. Silky and just good. Amazing for such a youngster.. Really!

2012 Domaine Netofa - Rose - Soft Strawberry cream puff, floral, Rose Water, VERY inviting Nose.
Almost a creamy buttery berry on the sip with a faint very distant hint of some field spices. Intersting wine with a lot of Sediment for a Rose.. Different leaves the mouth with a nice feel.
Yehoshua Werth, Manager
The GrapeVine Wines & Spirits
Monsey, NY USA
http://www.youtube.com/TheGrapevineWines
no avatar
User

Moshe F

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:17 pm

Queens, NY

by Moshe F » Tue May 28, 2013 9:57 am

HHW Isaac's Ram 2009. smelled and tasted of a nice slab of marbled meat only later showing some ripe cherries and raspberries. Was wonderful.

does anyone have WTN on the 2009 vs the 2007? I can get some of the 2007 but my wine store recommended the 2009 instead (which I was very happy with). I had the 2007 but cannot make a comparison from so long ago.
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:46 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Tue May 28, 2013 10:42 am

Moshe F wrote:HHW Isaac's Ram 2009. smelled and tasted of a nice slab of marbled meat only later showing some ripe cherries and raspberries. Was wonderful.

does anyone have WTN on the 2009 vs the 2007? I can get some of the 2007 but my wine store recommended the 2009 instead (which I was very happy with). I had the 2007 but cannot make a comparison from so long ago.

Moshe, Hi,

I had the 07 Isaac's Ram just a few weeks ago and while it wasn't as good as the 09 let alone the 05 it wasn't bad either though a bit too over the top (oak, overripe fruit) for me.

Best,

GG
Last edited by Gabriel Geller on Tue May 28, 2013 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Pinchas L

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:04 pm

Brooklyn, NY

by Pinchas L » Tue May 28, 2013 3:52 pm

Hi Harry,

Asif Viognier 2009 - On its own it tasted a bit off, but it was better when accompanying a mixed salad of arugula and strawberry. I should drink up whatever I have left of this vintage. Always preferring the '08 to the '09, it now seems to me that the '08 is also holding up better than the '09. 13% AbV. C+/**/N

Prix Hagafen Pinot Noir Fagan Creek Block 38 2007 - The fruit was present, but the lack of acidity made it come across as flat. C/*/N

Best,
-> Pinchas

Grading for quality: A - marvelous, B - good/intriguing, C - mediocre/uninspiring, D - subjectively flawed, F - objectively flawed
Grading for value: *** - it's a steal, ** - it's a reasonable deal, * - you've been robbed
Indication of further interest: Y - would purchase again, N - no desire to purchase more
User

David Raccah

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:18 am

Bay Area, CA

by David Raccah » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:57 am

Hi Harry,

To say I am behind is an understatement - sorry! Three lovely Merlot from the 2009 Israeli vintage. A pair of wines from 2000, including a killer Herzog Napa cab. Finally a chance to taste the 2010 Pacifica Cab in my house at a pace and comfort that allowed me to see there is more there than meets the eye!

http://kosherwinemusings.com/2013/06/03 ... -napa-cab/
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.