The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Some Calif PinotNoirs...(long/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Some Calif PinotNoirs...(long/boring)

by TomHill » Wed May 29, 2013 1:03 pm

We tasted last night (3/13/13) Some Calif PinotNoirs:
1. Harrington PinotNoir WildHorseVlly/Napa (14.4%) Berkeley 2006: Med.light color; light/elegant bright/cherry/
PN light earthy/spicy some pencilly/oak bit meaty/herbal some complex quite pretty nose; slightly tart bit
meaty/herbal light cherry/PN/earthy light pencilly/oak some complex flavor w/ little tannins; med.long
light/delicate slight meaty/earthy light/cherry/PN light pencilly/oak some complex finish w/ very light tannins;
starting to show some complex/aged character but still very much alive; a quiet/gentle little ole lady of a
Pinot who's fading into her twilight yrs; quite interesting and lovely drinking. $nc (BH)
pie/PN /spicy light pencilly/oak delicate/balanced finish w/ light tannins; a quite attractive bright/cherry
classic AndersonVlly Pinot. $nc (BH)
bright cherry/PN/spicy light earthy/dusty light pencilly/oak slight sweet pickle relish very aromatic nose;
bit tart very bright/cherry/PN/floral/violets/lilacs/cherry blossom quite spicy light pencilly/oak bright/
vibrant/zippy flavor w/ light tannins; very long tart bright/cherry/PN/floral/violets balanced/bright/laser-
sharp light pencilly/oak finish w/ light tannins; can use a few yrs yet; a bright cherry PN w/ amazing
aromatics. $nc (BH)
but attractive nose; slightly tart bit earthy/dusty some black cherry/black cherry cola/PN some toasty/oak
flavor w/ light tannins; med.long black cherry/black cherry cola some toasty/oak finish w/ light tannins;
a bit on the earthy/clunky side but a totally pleasant Pinot, just that. $28.00
fairly tart slight black cherry/PN/earthy rather subdued flavor; pretty compromised by TCA. $28.00
a pleasant if somewhat simple PN; undistinguished. $28.00
earthy/herbal/mushroomy finish w/ light tannins; less bright & more earthy in character; an attractive PN
if a bit on the pricey side. $40.00
slight earthy/mushroomy light toasty/charred/oak finish w/ light tannins; my favorite of the Drews; a
rather attractive Pinot but a bit on the pricey side for what it is. $50.00
black cherry/PN/blackberry slight earthy/dusty finish w/ some tannins; my least favorite of the Ojais but
pretty classic Ojai Pinot. $34.00
lush black cherry/black cherry cola/PN rather spicy/rosemary some toasty/charred/oak finish w/ fair tannins;
still needs several yrs; quite a good/classic Ojai PN. $42.00
tarragon/ruhbarb/cold-climate some black cherry/black cherry cola some toasty/charred/oak bit hard/tannic
flavor; very long somewhat herbal/tarragon/ruhbarb/DrPepper some black cherry/PN/black cherry cola some
tasty/oak complex mineral/pungent/hot metal finish w/ ample tannins; quite an exotic PN and atypical of
most SRH Pinots; needs 3-6 yrs of age; my favorite of the Ojais because of the exotic/bizarre character.
$42.50
bit herbal/tarragon flavor w/ fair tannins; very long some toasty/oak slight herbal/tarragon strong
black cherry/black cherry cola/PN some toasty/oak finish w/ some tannins; more lush fruit and less exotic
than the '07; needs 3-5 yrs of age; quite an interesting PN. $42.00
complex falvor w/ modest tannins; very long tart bright/cherry/PN/cherry pie/very spicy light pencilly/
oak fairly complex finish w/ light tannins; a lovely balanced developed PN. $45.00
_____________________________________________________________________________________
And more nonsense from the BloodyPulpit:
1. Harrington: Since I liked the previous Pinots of Bryan's so much, he sent us these three to try as well when
he was replacing a corked Teroldego. The Terrane was a huge hit because of its terrific aromatics. It was bottled
w/ no SO2 additions, though don't know if that was responsible for the amazing aromatics or not. It spoke
a lot of AndersonVlly Pinot, though it only sports a Mendocino appellation. Hard to believe that it came from
down in the UkiahVlly.
We've had a number of Harrington Pinots now and I'm quite taken by them. They have a brightness, an elegance,
a delicacy that stands out in a crowd of Pinots. These are Pinots that would put to shame many of the InPursuit
of Balance Pinots, despite their 14% alcohol levels.
tweaked his style quite a bit. He's now solidly in the InPursuit of Balance crowd. I've nevre been really
taken by his Pinots. They're solid & well-made, but maybe a bit undistinguished. But I still like his Syrahs,
even though the style is quite different from his early ones that first attracted me.
Though I liked all of these Pinots, I thought they were not all that distinctive
in particular. Those early ones struggled mightly to replicate RedBurg...lots of toasty new oak. To
have your Pinot characterized as "Burgundian" was the highest accolade. Those were exciting times.
Then, in the mid-late '80's, the Calif Pinot-makers stopped trying to replicate RedBurg and sorta
let PinotNoir be Calif PinotNoir. And consumers quit insisting that they taste like RedBurg, but just
accept them for what they are...Calif's unique rendition of PinotNoir. And the quality racheted up
dramatically in quality. There are, of course, a lot of people that don't accept Calif Pinots because
they don't taste like RedBurg. Fair enough.
Another big factor was the planting of Pinot in a diversity of areas. SantaRitaHills/SantaLucia
Highlands/AndersonVlly/far SonomaCoast/PetalumaGap. Back in the mid-'70's, Carneros was the hot thing
when it came to Pinot. These days, I don't find a lot of exciting Pinots coming out of Carneros. Maybe
the region is a has-been?? Don't know.
Tom
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: WTN: Some Calif PinotNoirs...(long/boring)

by Brian K Miller » Wed May 29, 2013 4:02 pm

In my very limited experience, I think Clos Du Val makes nice Pinots from Carneros, Tom. As does Robert Sinskey and Signorello.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach