Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What's Cooking (Take Two!)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Re: What's Cooking (Take Two!)

by Karen/NoCA » Sat May 25, 2013 3:33 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Jason Hagen wrote:Not sure why I can't use the "Img" to link to pics on this website.
IMG_4415 copy.JPG

Jason, if I recall correctly, "Img" will only work with online images no larger than 500 x 500 pixels. Also, I assume you know this, but it only works for images on the Web, not in folders on your computer.

I take images right from a folder on my computer Robin....I make sure it is the right size, however. I store my photos in Picasa but open them with Microsoft Office Picture Manager. I've always done this on this site.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sat May 25, 2013 3:48 pm

Tonight it is pork tenderloin, marinated in balsamic, apple cider vinegar, evoo, fresh rosemary, garlic and grilled. I saved some of the marinade to cook down a little and serve with the finished meat. Tomato paella, a rice dish cooked with red onion, garlic, saffron, smoked paprika, tomato paste, topped with thick tomato wedges coated with a bit of olive oil, and finished in the oven, then garnished with parsley or cilantro. Tuscan green beans.

Our Farmer's Market is loaded right now, everything is about one month ahead of schedule. Peaches, cherries, tomatoes, cukes, garlic, loads of lettuce, onions, baby squashes and potatoes, all kinds of herb plants, tomato plants, flowers everywhere. I had to force myself to leave today and still came home with too much. We will be eating good and healthy this week! I love that the grower's are branching out now with more offerings, but there is still only one that does asparagus! I had to decide today which was more important, asparagus or cherries...I will not stand in line! :lol:
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat May 25, 2013 11:00 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:take images right from a folder on my computer Robin....I make sure it is the right size, however. I store my photos in Picasa but open them with Microsoft Office Picture Manager. I've always done this on this site.

Karen, I'm guessing that works because your images are actually being brought in from the Web - on Picasa! You're working on them in your computer, but they're actually "in the cloud." Or that's my guess, anyway. I'll look closer tomorrow at one of your pix and try to figure it out for certain. :)
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat May 25, 2013 11:00 pm

Shaljam ke kebab, Pakistani and North Indian turnip curry patties, and Sophie's Kitchen plant-based fried "shrimp" with a wasabi-chili dipping sauce.

no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Sun May 26, 2013 12:12 am

This is our version of a famous Turkish dessert, Küneife, especially popular in Antakya. You buy a package of Kataifi, which is phyllo dough cut up into "hair." You separate the strands and massage in some melted butter and a bit of milk. You press half of that into a cake or pie pan, and then add a creamy center, and then press the rest on top and bake it. Our creamy center was a kind of bechamel involving rice flour and milk with sugar and orange flower water, plus some torn up fresh mozzarella. One source for our recipe was a "Knafe" recipe published in the NY Times Magazine from Feb 3, 2013 in honor of Claudia Roden. Everyone really liked this. There are chopped toasted pistachios on top, and the whole thing is soaked in simple syrup to which lemon juice and orange flower water have been added.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/03/magaz ... .html?_r=0

kuneife.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Shaji M

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:24 pm

by Shaji M » Sun May 26, 2013 8:59 pm

Frank,
The Kuneife looks absolutely delicious! Reminds me a lot of the Greek Kadefi. The latter always looked daunting to be attempted, but your version might be something we could try. Thanks for sharing!
-Shaji
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun May 26, 2013 10:12 pm

A variation on a dish I came up with recently: green beans long-braised with browned onions, garlic, dried red-pepper flakes and, in this variation, lots of shredded leeks, with a good dose of Spanish smoked paprika to give it a good, plant-based "bacony" flavor. Lots of umami going on here ...

no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

NJ

by Frank Deis » Mon May 27, 2013 12:37 am

Robin Garr wrote:A variation on a dish I came up with recently: green beans long-braised with browned onions, garlic, dried red-pepper flakes and, in this variation, lots of shredded leeks, with a good dose of Spanish smoked paprika to give it a good, plant-based "bacony" flavor. Lots of umami going on here ...

(image snipped)

Now -- that's what I'm TALKIN' about! :)
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

by Jason Hagen » Mon May 27, 2013 1:26 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Jason Hagen wrote:Not sure why I can't use the "Img" to link to pics on this website.
IMG_4415 copy.JPG

Jason, if I recall correctly, "Img" will only work with online images no larger than 500 x 500 pixels. Also, I assume you know this, but it only works for images on the Web, not in folders on your computer.

I thought I tried shrinking it down enough on picasa. Maybe not. I'll give it a shot next time.

Jason
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Mon May 27, 2013 7:30 pm

Using up the last few slices of our grilled pork tenderloin, which was excellent in a balsamic marinade. I making small piles of ingredients, all arranged on a bed of fresh lettuce greens. The piles of ingredients are: In the center, slices of cold tenderloin. Then in a circle around that will be; roasted asparagus, green beans sautéed in butter and French Tarragon, hard boiled egg slices, garden tomatoes, cucumber, Peppadew peppers, avocado, then sprinkled with sweet basil and lemon vinaigrette. Usually a dinner like this is reserved for very hot summer nights, when cooking in not on my radar. It is a cold, rainy day, and I cleaned out two refrigerators today which reminded me I over bought at the Farmer's Market on Saturday, and we need to eat up precious tender veggies while they are at their best! :D
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon May 27, 2013 10:06 pm

Tiny new white creamer potatoes parboiled, then poached in melted butter and dressed with Italian parsley and black pepper.

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon May 27, 2013 10:06 pm

Do you prefer slaw creamy or vinegary? This one's a little of both, a slaw of cabbage, Vidalia onion and fresh fennel with carrots, celery and green pepper, a bit of tomato and tart pickle, tossed in a light vinaigrette and finished with a dab of Dijon aioli.

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Tue May 28, 2013 11:04 am

Those two photos of the potatoes and coleslaw have me drooling...beautiful! I'm a fan of mayonnaise, however, I try and keep it to a low consumption. I like any coleslaw that is tasty, and well made by hand. I hate those coleslaws with all the veggies run through a commercial slicer and they are all the same size. I like my coleslaw rustic.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Tue May 28, 2013 11:52 am

Tonight's dinner will be Jamaican jerk chicken.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Tue May 28, 2013 3:27 pm

Tonight's dinner is a shared New York steak, grilled. A sauté of red onions from our garden, and mushrooms. Corn on the cob and braised baby Yukon Gold potatoes in evoo, chicken stock, fresh bay leaves from our tree, and whole garlic cloves. It is finished off by cooking the liquid away, letting the garlic turn golden while the potatoes brown on the outside in the remaining oil.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Green almonds

by Rahsaan » Tue May 28, 2013 9:19 pm

I've been eyeing the fresh green almonds for the past month or so, but only got around to buying them today, at what is probably the near end of the season. They're new to me and I was always afraid they would require some extensive preparation. I was wrong.

So, we enjoyed them for dinner. A salad of fresh sliced raw green almonds and an underripe mango. And pasta with asparagus, green almonds, herbs, cheese and a bit of lime. Nice to eat new things.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Thu May 30, 2013 1:15 pm

Lamb shanks and linguini with salad. Washed it down with an '08 Los Rocas Grenacha.
no avatar
User

Shaji M

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:24 pm

by Shaji M » Thu May 30, 2013 9:45 pm

Last night was Sweet Corn Polenta with Eggplant sauce from Plenty. It was scrumptious and there werent any leftovers :( We cheated a little with the recipe by adding some sliced sun dried tomatoes to the Egg plant sauce. The feta cheese in the polenta gives it a very interesting dimension. All went well with half a bottle of left over Barolo.
Tonight everything points towards some hearty chicken curry with parathas :D
-Shaji
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu May 30, 2013 9:49 pm

Long day at work today and the wife and kid are off on a visit to the Midwest, so that left me not wanting to cook. There was some fava bean puree in the fridge that we made a couple of days ago - just favas, olive oil, and garlic. I warmed some of it up, spread it over a hot flour tortilla, sprinkled that with crumbled feta and Tabasco Chipotle, rolled it up, and ate it. Then I repeated the process. Fortunately, I ran out of tortillas at that point, or I would have just kept going.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu May 30, 2013 10:17 pm

Simple Truth meatless griller strips meatless stir-fry "chicken(*)" stir-fried with slivered pea pods, onions, garlic and ginger in a spicy Sichuan black bean sauce.
(*) http://www.simpletruth.com/products/fro ... er-strips/

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri May 31, 2013 9:59 pm

Ragout of fresh veggies: Tiny new white creamer potatoes, yellow summer squash and zucchini parboiled, then finished with browned onions and crimini mushrooms for a quick poach in butter and olive oil.

no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

NJ

by Frank Deis » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:02 pm

Tonight we made 2 recipes from Jerusalem by Ottolenghi. I had bought ground lamb and ground beef -- so I got intrigued by the Kofta b'siniyah on page 195. Basically made a half recipe, we already had most of the ingredients. Louise had recently made her famous hummus so we had cooked chickpeas etc. I asked her to make a small batch of hummus (the previous batch was GONE, zoom!) and so I decided we didn't need to make the tahini sauce. I did toast extra pine nuts and we served the kofta with hummus and the combination was wonderful. FWIW ingredients always make the difference, in any recipe, and what Louise does that a lot of cooks don't understand -- she always uses dried chick peas and soaks them overnight. SO much more flavor than the canned beans.

The other recipe was the salad "Spiced Chickpeas and Fresh Vegetable Salad" on page 54. He suggests serving this without the spicy chickpeas, along with the kofta dish above. What I really liked about this salad was 1) you use a BIG dice for the red pepper, cucumber, and tomato. That just tastes fresh and healthy. 2) the dressing is full of lemon and lemon zest, and also just makes the salad taste REALLY fresh and healthy. We both loved it. If we had included the chickpeas -- the spicing is really strange, ground cardamom, allspice, and cumin.

With toasted whole wheat pita and Louise's hummus -- what a meal! FWIW we "matched" all of this with gin and tonic (Tanqueray, Schweppes) and what was left of the 1974 Martini Merlot that I opened last night. A great wine, just as fresh and fruity tonight as it was last night.

To get this meal together -- I made an elaborate "mise en place" for Louise, pre-measuring all of the spices, salt, pepper, pre-weighing the meats, finely chopping the onion and parsley and hot red pepper. All she had to do was mix everything together and saute. In the other room I was doing the 1.5 cm dice of the salad vegetables, and chopping cilantro, parsley, whatever. Cooperation is key sometimes.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:44 am

Tonight it is Tandoori Chicken on the grill. Roasted purple, yellow, and orange carrots with purple potatoes and red onion, drizzled with hazelnut oil, dried red Chile flakes, and fresh lemon. Sliced Cherokee Purple Tomatoes with Big White Prince Radishes with a little salt and pepper is all they need. An Asian grower who gives me free things because I return all his containers, threw these radishes in for me because I had been admiring them. They are huge, and a beautiful solid white all the way through. They are crunchy, very sweet and beautiful. I cannot find out much about them. He also gave me some of the best red onions I have ever had. Again, very crunchy, they cut beautifully, and are a deep purple on the outside.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:49 am

To get this meal together -- I made an elaborate "mise en place" for Louise, pre-measuring all of the spices, salt, pepper, pre-weighing the meats, finely chopping the onion and parsley and hot red pepper. All she had to do was mix everything together and saute. In the other room I was doing the 1.5 cm dice of the salad vegetables, and chopping cilantro, parsley, whatever. Cooperation is key sometimes.

Lucky lady to have you as her sou chef! I do the mise en place almost everyday. I do all my prep in the morning....it is so much easier as I do not like cooking in the afternoon. When it is dinner time, all I want to do it cook...not chop and find ingredients. I put all the meats, veggies, aromatics, in the refer on a prep board covered with plastic and it is ready when we are.
PreviousNext