The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Favorite Paris Wine Spots?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Joshua Kates

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:48 pm

Favorite Paris Wine Spots?

by Joshua Kates » Thu May 30, 2013 7:38 pm

I'm off to Paris next week for professional reasons, but I am of course looking forward to the food and wine. I'll be staying in the 5th, but I am willing to travel. Do fellow Forumites have any favorite wine bars or restaurants (and even shops), especially for older Burgundy and Bordeaux? (Having checked the prices I don't think I'll make it to La Tour d'Argent, despite Noel's seductive write-up. Taillevent has a brasserie that offers four wines by the glass for every dish on the menu that appears promising.)

Thanks in advance for all your suggestions,
Josh
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: Favorite Paris Wine Spots?

by Rahsaan » Thu May 30, 2013 9:29 pm

They don't necessarily have stuff going back many many decades, but compared to all the shops with nothing but new releases, Les Caprices de l'Instant (12 Rue Jacques Cœur (in the 4th)) has a nice selection going back to the 90s and in some cases the 80s at prices that are fair. Not rockbottom steals but not aggressively priced either. They focus on Burgundy, Bordeaux, Loire and Rhone.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Thu May 30, 2013 11:08 pm

For wine bars, there's always Willi's; for funkier, natural wines you could try Le Verre Volé. Good food can be had at both places. My favorite shop in town is Caves Augé on the Boulevard Haussmann, but I wouldn't recommend them for aged Bordeaux or Burgundy. If you want to get some of Yvan Metras's Beaujolais or Overnoy Pupillin, however, that might be the place to go. For the aged wines, you might try Lavinia on the Blvd. de la Madeleine.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Fri May 31, 2013 12:42 am

Josh,

If you get up to Montmartre there is a fantastic little wine bar called Le Vingt Heures Vin. They have a great mix of wines by style and age, excellent cheeses, a friendly staff and reasonable prices. Definitely worth a stop.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Joshua Kates

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:48 pm

by Joshua Kates » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:04 pm

Thanks so much for the tips, everyone!

They are all very much appreciated, though yours especially, Rahsaan, as it is near where I will be staying and I don't think I could have ever found it on my own.
Unfortunately, I will be nowhere near Montmartre this time around, Sam (but perhaps in the future); and Caves Augé certainly appears formidable, as the French themselves like to say. I may well make it over there as well, Mark.

Again, many thanks,
Josh