Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Check it Out / WeeksEnd wine

no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:31 pm

Check it Out / WeeksEnd wine

by Harry J » Fri May 31, 2013 5:26 am

B"SD.
We see yet how we incorporate what we see into our inner self is a whole other story.
Have a good one; H
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:46 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

Re: Check it Out / WeeksEnd wine

by Gabriel Geller » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:24 pm

Shavua tov Harry,

Friday night:

Gvaot, Gofna, Gewürztraminer 2011: Holding up very well, the one and only commercially distributed dry Gewurz in Israel and quite delicious. Still nice acid but my palate could use a bit more.

Shabbat lunch:

Domaine Netofa, Tinto 2011: Bordeaux red in color with on the nose cherries, minerals, loamy dirt and dry cranberries with heavy notes of smoke and roasted meat, medium-bodied with much of the same on the palate as well as licorice and dried herbs, nice acid but very soft, barely noticeable tannins showing on the moderately long finish. Very earthy and old-world doing a great job at imitating the Douro wines from Portugal, this blend of Tempranillo and Tourigal Nacional is substancially better than it's previous vintage and a lot more interesting than its Yarden 2T counterpart.

Best,

GG
no avatar
User

Isaac Chavel

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:54 am

by Isaac Chavel » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:29 pm

Hi, Harry, shavu'a tov,

Friday night: 2009 Four Gates Pinot Noir. Wonderful.
Shabbat lunch: 2012 Domaine Netofa Rose. Bad bottle, bad enough to return.
2011 Dalton Rose. Just fine.

A good week to all,

Isaac
no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:31 pm

by Harry J » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:57 pm

Hi; this friday nite and next day tyried mony clatey 2010. Nice flavors, licorice on the finish. But not a long finish,in fact kind of short. H
User

Yehoshua Werth

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 19, 2011 3:29 pm

Monsey, New York USA

by Yehoshua Werth » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:29 pm

Le Soreq Pnot Noir - Maldova - NIce
2009 Or Haganuz - AMuka.. Big Sediment being thrown yet wine was at peak (Drink in next year or so.
Yehoshua Werth, Manager
The GrapeVine Wines & Spirits
Monsey, NY USA
http://www.youtube.com/TheGrapevineWines
User

Yehoshua Werth

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 19, 2011 3:29 pm

Monsey, New York USA

by Yehoshua Werth » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:30 pm

Isaac Chavel wrote:Hi, Harry, shavu'a tov,

A good week to all,

Isaac

They stopped shipping the ROSE' and the bottle I had drank well but the Acid was Gone and Major Sediment for a Rose.. Did you see Must or Lees?
Yehoshua Werth, Manager
The GrapeVine Wines & Spirits
Monsey, NY USA
http://www.youtube.com/TheGrapevineWines
no avatar
User

Isaac Chavel

Rank

Wine guru

by Isaac Chavel » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:47 pm

Yehoshua,

The bottle was clear when I took it to chill. When I brought it back to the store today, it had "stuff" on the bottom. Not sure what.
The salesman had told me that 3 of the Israeli rose's had some sediment on the bottom. I forget which.

Isaac
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:17 pm

Yehoshua Werth wrote:
Isaac Chavel wrote:Hi, Harry, shavu'a tov,

A good week to all,

Isaac

They stopped shipping the ROSE' and the bottle I had drank well but the Acid was Gone and Major Sediment for a Rose.. Did you see Must or Lees?

These are not sediments but a sign (happens fairly often with roses wines) that the wine's tartaric acid has gone thru crystallization, generally caused by chilling the wine. However these "crystals" aren't supposed to affect the wine's taste/quality whatsoever.

Best,

GG
no avatar
User

Steven B

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:59 am

by Steven B » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:41 pm

Hi Harry,

2011 Capcanes Peraj Petita: I think this was better than the 2010. If I recall correctly the 2011 is more complex but also more subtle and less powerful

Gabriel Geller wrote:Domaine Netofa, Tinto 2011: Bordeaux red in color with on the nose cherries, minerals, loamy dirt and dry cranberries with heavy notes of smoke and roasted meat, medium-bodied with much of the same on the palate as well as licorice and dried herbs, nice acid but very soft, barely noticeable tannins showing on the moderately long finish. Very earthy and old-world doing a great job at imitating the Douro wines from Portugal, this blend of Tempranillo and Tourigal Nacional is substancially better than it's previous vintage and a lot more interesting than its Yarden 2T counterpart.

GG

Gabriel, what do you think about the 2009 Yarden 2T? I just spotted it at a local wine store for only $16 dollars. Does it have any aging potential? Do you think that at that price it might make sense to stock up?
no avatar
User

Isaac Chavel

Rank

Wine guru

by Isaac Chavel » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:56 pm

These are not sediments but a sign (happens fairly often with roses wines) that the wine's tartaric acid has gone thru crystallization, generally caused by chilling the wine. However these "crystals" aren't supposed to affect the wine's taste/quality whatsoever.

I did not intend to use the word sediment technically, that is why I first used the word stuff. In the store they told me, in advance, that the crystallization does not affect the wine's taste/quality. So I did not think that was THE issue. It was just that the bottle was seriously off.

So I traded in the Domaine Netofa for Vignoble David's Rose. We'll see how that goes.
no avatar
User

Pinchas L

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:04 pm

Brooklyn, NY

by Pinchas L » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:05 am

Hi Harry,

Flam Rose' 2012 - As usual Flam produces their rose' from Cabernet Franc, but this year more so than in previous years that character comes through in the way of earthy and green notes that are present on the palate. Those notes are secondary to the strawberry and watermelon, and run parallel to a healthy streak of acidity. It is an austere rose', made in the style of the North Rhone, setting it apart from the majority of Israeli rose' that are far more Provencial in style. The color is that of pink salmon and the nose is refreshing. 12.5% AbV. B/**/Y

Hagafen Zinfandel 2006 - While not a bad wine, I found it quite boring and indistinctive. On the palate the berry fruit is complemented by licorice. But try as I may, I have very little to say about the wine. 14% AbV. C/*/N

Best,
=> Pinchas

Grading for quality: A - marvelous, B - good/intriguing, C - mediocre/uninspiring, D - subjectively flawed, F - objectively flawed
Grading for value: *** - it's a steal, ** - it's a reasonable deal, * - you've been robbed
Indication of further interest: Y - would purchase again, N - no desire to purchase more
User

YoelA

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:43 pm

San Francisco area

by YoelA » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:44 am

2009 Montresor Capitel del Rosara Valpolicella ripasso, a wine that had been put in contact with Amarone lees, making it richer and smoother than ordinary valpolicellas.
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:28 am

Isaac, what I meant is that the crystals aren't responsible for the bottle being off. BTW, I've not tasted it (yet) but the VD Rosé is said to be excellent :) so nicely traded!

Steve, at $16 the 2T is a steal. Personally I think it's a pleasant wine but I didn't find it interesting in the sense that while it's supposed to imitate the wines from the Douro region in Portugal, like the Netofa Tinto, as opposed to the Tinto it does not differ much style-wise from other Yarden wines (new world bold, full, lots of very ripe fruit and heavy oak). So your decision to stock up should end up being based upon looking for an inexpensive good wine rather than an inexpensive DIFFERENT wine. IMHO at this price point the Capçanes Peraj Petita does a much better job at that.

Best,

GG
no avatar
User

Steven B

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:59 am

by Steven B » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:10 am

Thanks for the tip Gabriel. And sorry if I come off as a philistine, but I happen to like new world big bold, ripe fruit oak bombs.
no avatar
User

Moshe F

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:17 pm

Queens, NY

by Moshe F » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:55 am

Shabbos night 2005 Ella Valley Vineyards Choice Cabernet Sauvignon. Nose of Spice and Wood right away and slowly showed a lot of blackberry and what I thought was cassis too. Tastes matched the aromas almost to a T and drank really nicely. Was less than $40 so I thought this was a good deal.

Shabbos day 2011 Bravdo Chardonnay. A nice clean chardonnay for a warm summer day.
no avatar
User

Isaac C

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:53 pm

NYC

by Isaac C » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:02 pm

Had my last bottle of Yarden Syrah 2005 - it was still drinking well and was really enjoyable througout the meal but after a few hours it died.
no avatar
User

Elie Poltorak

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:05 pm

by Elie Poltorak » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:57 am

Gabriel Geller wrote:Isaac, what I meant is that the crystals aren't responsible for the bottle being off. BTW, I've not tasted it (yet) but the VD Rosé is said to be excellent :) so nicely traded!

Steve, at $16 the 2T is a steal. Personally I think it's a pleasant wine but I didn't find it interesting in the sense that while it's supposed to imitate the wines from the Douro region in Portugal, like the Netofa Tinto, as opposed to the Tinto it does not differ much style-wise from other Yarden wines (new world bold, full, lots of very ripe fruit and heavy oak). So your decision to stock up should end up being based upon looking for an inexpensive good wine rather than an inexpensive DIFFERENT wine. IMHO at this price point the Capçanes Peraj Petita does a much better job at that.

Best,

GG

Sorry Gab, but that wine isn't a steal if they gave it away. The fact that it's just like other Yarden's is secondary. The bigger problem is that it's just bad wine--totally out of balance, sweet, and flabby.
Steve, I like a nice big Nappa cab with tons of fruit and oak as much as the next guy, but to me there's only 2 kinds of wine: good wine and bad wine. And life is too short for the latter. A good big new world wine needs to balance the big fruit and oak with tannins and acidity, all integrated in a good structure. Otherwise what you get is a sweet flabby wine.
If you happen to come across the '08 2T, it is MUCH better, although not as good as the '11 Tinto.
no avatar
User

Elie Poltorak

Rank

Ultra geek

by Elie Poltorak » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:14 am

So this forum is like the Hotel California: "You can check-out any time you like,
But you can never leave!" Because Harry will come after you and all bets are off :wink: The trouble is that I just can't keep up with both the forum and Facebook. Perhaps I'll take Elchonon's example and quit Facebook for a while...

So, this Shabos:

'09 Yiron: A-/*** Anyone who reads my posts knows that I'm not a big fan of most Israeli '09s--particularly those from the Galilee region. Unfortunately, all of the '09 GHW wines I've tried have been a super-sweet cocktail of raisin paste and date juice. Although the other Galil Mountain wines haven't feared much better (including the Meron--sorry Gab), the Yiron is the one big exception. Beautifully balanced, with great structure, the fruitiness you expect from a Yiron, and what I think differentiates the '09 vintage: the 5% Petite Verdot comes through loud and clear with delightful tart blueberries. Great wine from a terrible vintage--Kudos to the winemaker!

'11 Makom Grenache Blanc: B++ Very interesting, unusual wine. I could've sworn it's a Riesling. Nice citrus notes balance out light sweetness and delightful stone fruit.

'09 Recanati PSZ: A-/*** Inky black, bold Petite Syrah balanced out with the fruitiness of the Zinfandel, this wine really comes together. Give it TONS of airtime to breath--it didn't begin to open up until after 3 hours and kept improving after that. I don't see this wine improving with age, so why hold on? Drink and enjoy. Very food friendly too--more so than you'd expect from PSZ. After Shabos, I finished the bottle with some stinky cheeses and it paired surprisingly well.
no avatar
User

gaston k

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:32 pm

by gaston k » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:45 pm

Fri Night - Bottle of Affligem Tripel and a glass of Landsman Syrah. Both were delicious but regretted the mix with a morning headache.
Sat lunch - Some Yarden CS 2009 - seemed like it needed to settle down a bit. I have a bottle of 2007 - it may be time to visit that one.
User

David Raccah

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:18 am

Bay Area, CA

by David Raccah » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:50 pm

Like I write in my post of the 2010 Tinto from Netofa, I do NOT care for the 2009 2T from Yarden, not my cup of tea. The 2008 2T was nice - but that is gone already. The 2011 Tinto and the 2010 Coalition from Shirah are the two best dry Nacional wines that I have enjoyed - period!

GG thinks that the 2010 Tinto is dead and has had bad experiences with it. I liked it, maybe I was lucky! Either way, not improving - so drink up. The 2009 2T IMHO will not improve and is not great now - but hey that is my 2 cents. Totally agree with GG, use your money on the Petita

http://kosherwinemusings.com/2013/06/05 ... fa-tinito/

David
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
no avatar
User

Elie Poltorak

Rank

Ultra geek

by Elie Poltorak » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:31 pm

David Raccah wrote:Like I write in my post of the 2010 Tinto from Netofa, I do NOT care for the 2009 2T from Yarden, not my cup of tea. The 2008 2T was nice - but that is gone already. The 2011 Tinto and the 2010 Coalition from Shirah are the two best dry Nacional wines that I have enjoyed - period!

GG thinks that the 2010 Tinto is dead and has had bad experiences with it. I liked it, maybe I was lucky! Either way, not improving - so drink up. The 2009 2T IMHO will not improve and is not great now - but hey that is my 2 cents. Totally agree with GG, use your money on the Petita

http://kosherwinemusings.com/2013/06/05 ... fa-tinito/

David

You definitely got lucky. I got a bottle in Israel and it was dead as a doorknob.
no avatar
User

Isaac Chavel

Rank

Wine guru

by Isaac Chavel » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:25 pm

Well, something's going on. From my, Yehoshua and Gabe's back-and-forth about the rose, and now the discussion of Tinto, seems as though Domaine Netofa is having some problems. No?
no avatar
User

Adam M

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:08 pm

NYC

by Adam M » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:19 pm

07 Petit Castel, man this wine was rocking. Drank about 3X more than usual and slept like a newborn Shabbat afternoon. :D