Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

C-Rations/MCIs/MREs

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

C-Rations/MCIs/MREs

by Redwinger » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:55 am

Feeling nostalgic today:

I don't have any experience with MREs, but plenty with C Rats and/or MCIs.

So my question is, if given the choice between Spaghetti & Meatballs or Ham & M-Fers, which would you choose?

I'd go with spaghetti which was my favorite (besides the cigarettes). Regarding the other option, to this day I won't eat M-Fers ( lima beans).
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: C-Rations/MCIs/MREs

by Howie Hart » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:27 pm

FWIW - one of my favorite components of C-Rats was the peanut butter, especially if it was made by REDWING foods, in Fredonia, NY. Beef steak with potatoes were pretty good. We'd heat hem up by slapping a quarter-size chunk of C-4 onto the bottom of the can. I still have a can opener.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:32 pm

Howie Hart wrote:FWIW - one of my favorite components of C-Rats was the peanut butter, especially if it was made by REDWING foods, in Fredonia, NY. Beef steak with potatoes were pretty good. We'd heat hem up by slapping a quarter-size chunk of C-4 onto the bottom of the can. I still have a can opener.

Howie-
I have a couple of P38s around someplace also. Didn't you jarheads call 'em something different...John Wayne??
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:28 pm

C-Rats and K-Rats are in my domain, but somewhat more limited experiences with the latest versions of MRE (for you civilians, that's "Meals, Ready To Eat").

There have been tremendous improvements in food preservation over the years, but most of it has been in preservation and reducing weight. They still can't make it taste good; and the primary reason isn't to taste good, but to supply sufficient nutrition/energy resource.

Of course, the tradition of banning the really old stuff from all the other services so they can supply it to the Marines is still being observed. And that keeps the ketchup and hot sauce industry thriving too.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:29 pm

I've never had a C-ration or an MRE in my life, but I've had a P-38 on my keyring since I was 16 years old. Read about them in the Whole Earth Catalog and figured that anything that useful ought to be available at all times.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Doug Surplus

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:17 am

Phoenix AZ

by Doug Surplus » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:15 pm

I found the Spaghetti and Meatballs to be so salty as to be inedible. I could choke down almost anything else. The MREs were a great improvement.
Doug

If God didn't want me to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?
no avatar
User

Alan Wolfe

Rank

On Time Out status

Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:34 am

West Virginia

by Alan Wolfe » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:13 pm

Mike and I have something in common, I also have a P38 on my key ring. In addition to its occasional usefulness it serves as a reminder. I also have a bottle of Tobasco sauce close to hand.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:32 pm

I've eaten both K rations and MREs. Of the former, all I've got to say is that I'm glad that I, unlike my father, never had to live off of them for any protracted length of time. I recall the crackers, which were the consistency of cardboard, and the peanut butter, which was salty enough to de-ice your driveway. I've had a few different MREs while backpacking, and they were generally edible if not to be mistaken for haute cuisine. One of the them -- tacos, I think -- had a small bottle of Tabasco sauce as a a condiment -- what's not to love about that?

Mark Lipton