Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

No Knead Bread

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

No Knead Bread

by Robert J. » Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:00 pm

Mark Bittman did an article in the New York Times recently about no knead bread. I have made it three times and each time it is better than any artisan bread I have ever purchased. Has anyone else tried it? It is a very interesting recipe. Here is the basic ingredient list:

3 c. Bread Flour
1/4 tsp. yeast
1/2 tsp. salt
1 5/8 c. water

The dough ferments for 18+ hours then is given a 2nd rise for 2-3 hours and is baked in a dutch oven inside a 450 degree oven (covered 30 minutes, uncovered 30 minutes).

My latest round was a Walnut - Sweet Potato Whole Wheat Loaf. The bread came out more moist than I expected, possibly due to the addition of sweet potato (maybe a little longer in the oven next time). But it really has a nice fall flavor and would be good with some cream cheese or even some manchego. You could do just about anything with it. I'm sure that, toasted, it would be heaven. I'll know in the morning.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

Re: No Knead Bread

by Bob Henrick » Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:38 pm

Robert, you gave the ingredient list, now how about the "how to" instructions?
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:55 am

Bob Henrick wrote:Robert, you gave the ingredient list, now how about the "how to" instructions?

Bob, there was an extended discussion here
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:40 am

John Tomasso wrote:
Bob Henrick wrote:Robert, you gave the ingredient list, now how about the "how to" instructions?

Bob, there was an extended discussion here

I figured that this had been banted about already. Thanks for putting the link up.

My first run with the bread was really messy. That was due to inexperience with a new technique. After that it was really smooth.

When I dump the dough into the pot it seems to shape up nicely by itself.

Also, the recipe posted in the link omits the water (1 5/8 c.).
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:24 pm

Robert, the recipe works fine without the pot too, and much better with bread flour than AP.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:17 pm

Jenise wrote:Robert, the recipe works fine without the pot too, and much better with bread flour than AP.

Do you mean that you just let it bake free form on a sheet pan (I assume)? The last time I made it (with walnuts and sweet potato) I used a smaller pan and got a very uniform, round, and fairly high loaf.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:14 pm

Yes, Robert. I removed it from the refrigerator bowl and formed it for it's second rise on a silpat lined baking sheet. It went straight into the oven when ready.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:23 pm

I gotta get a Silpat. Maybe I'll bring one home from work tomorrow. :)
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:01 am

Ewww! But they're made in France! Obviously, you're some kind of terrorist. :wink:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:43 pm

Robert J. wrote:I gotta get a Silpat. Maybe I'll bring one home from work tomorrow. :)

Oh no...white toque crime!
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:31 pm

Larry Greenly wrote:Ewww! But they're made in France! Obviously, you're some kind of terrorist. :wink:

Look buddy, I didn't see you and all your 'Righty' friends offering to send back the Statue of Liberty after you poured all that French wine into the river. SO JUST BACK OFF!!! :wink: (I gotta be careful, too.)
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:09 pm

North Carolina

by Linda R. (NC) » Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:00 pm

Hi Jenise, I'm jumping on this no-knead bandwagon, and have mine mixed for tomorrow night's dinner. I don't have a pot that large and thought I wouldn't be able to use this method. Thanks for letting us know the pot isn't necessary. My question now is do you bake it the same amount of total time as recipe calls for even though it's not covered at all?

Thanks.
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:09 pm

Linda, I'm not Jenise (obviously) but just wanted to share some info here. I have abandoned a dutch oven (6-8 quart) for a much smaller 3-4 quart stainless pot with lid. I think that the lid really helps to develop a good crust due to the steaming that occurs from the closed baking. Almost any pot with lid will work. Good luck.

rwj
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:09 pm

North Carolina

by Linda R. (NC) » Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:39 pm

I ended up making my bread in a 6-qt. stainless stock pot with foil over the top. I baked it for 45 min., and it turned out great. I think it needs more salt, though, and maybe another 5 or so min. baking.

My problem was doing the 2nd rise on a floured towel. I didn't use enough flour and had a sticky mess. Next time parchment paper!
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:36 pm

Yes, we have upped the salt to about 1 Tbsp. And the towel thing happened to me, too. I like the idea of using a Silpat. Glad to hear that it tuned out for you, though.

rwj