The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Bordeaux For The Rustic Red Wine Lover : Where Do I Start?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jeff B

Rank

Champagne Lover

Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:01 pm

Michigan (perhaps more cleverly known as "The Big Mitten")

Bordeaux For The Rustic Red Wine Lover : Where Do I Start?

by Jeff B » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:21 am

It dawned on me that I've never really ventured deeply into Bordeaux and it might be time I did so. But where to start? The only thing I know about my tastes in red wine is that I prefer them on the "rustic" end (lots of chalky tannin and, preferably, with chocolate or leathery tones as opposed to herbs or green flavors - yuck). Which of the major areas should I be exploring? What vintages should I be looking at?

My favorite American wines, when they've avoided the green herbal treatment, have largely been Beringer reds (Private Reserve and Knights Valley).

Jeff
"Meeting Franklin Roosevelt was like opening your first bottle of champagne. Knowing him was like drinking it." - Winston Churchill
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: Bordeaux For The Rustic Red Wine Lover : Where Do I Start?

by Rahsaan » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:17 am

Jeff B wrote:It dawned on me that I've never really ventured deeply into Bordeaux and it might be time I did so. But where to start? The only thing I know about my tastes in red wine is that I prefer them on the "rustic" end (lots of chalky tannin and, preferably, with chocolate or leathery tones as opposed to herbs or green flavors - yuck). Which of the major areas should I be exploring? What vintages should I be looking at?

My favorite American wines, when they've avoided the green herbal treatment, have largely been Beringer reds (Private Reserve and Knights Valley).

Jeff

I don't follow Bordeaux, but you might want to re-think your use of the word 'rustic' because 'chocolate' usually comes from new oak, at least to me. Which is the opposite of rustic. 'Leathery' could be brett, so that might qualify as rustic. But if you detest herbal elements that often comes in 'rustic' wines. So you want a tannic, oaky, bretty wine with rich sunny fruit?
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:35 am

For me traces of noble green and herbal flavours are an essential part of the complexity of fine left-bank Bordeaux and can also be present in good right-bankers.

If you don't like them, I suggest that you start off with modernist producers (e.g. where Michel Rolland consults), right bank appellations (e.g. St.Émilion and Pomerol), and ripe vintages like 2000, 2003, 2005 and 2009.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Jeff B

Rank

Champagne Lover

by Jeff B » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:09 am

Rahsaan wrote:
Jeff B wrote:It dawned on me that I've never really ventured deeply into Bordeaux and it might be time I did so. But where to start? The only thing I know about my tastes in red wine is that I prefer them on the "rustic" end (lots of chalky tannin and, preferably, with chocolate or leathery tones as opposed to herbs or green flavors - yuck). Which of the major areas should I be exploring? What vintages should I be looking at?

Jeff

I don't follow Bordeaux, but you might want to re-think your use of the word 'rustic' because 'chocolate' usually comes from new oak, at least to me. Which is the opposite of rustic. 'Leathery' could be brett, so that might qualify as rustic. But if you detest herbal elements that often comes in 'rustic' wines. So you want a tannic, oaky, bretty wine with rich sunny fruit?

Yes, I definitely like tannic reds that coat the mouth. I guess I was using the term "rustic" loosely to mostly describe the tannins.

Jeff
"Meeting Franklin Roosevelt was like opening your first bottle of champagne. Knowing him was like drinking it." - Winston Churchill
no avatar
User

Jeff B

Rank

Champagne Lover

by Jeff B » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:10 am

Tim York wrote:For me traces of noble green and herbal flavours are an essential part of the complexity of fine left-bank Bordeaux and can also be present in good right-bankers.

If you don't like them, I suggest that you start off with modernist producers (e.g. where Michel Rolland consults), right bank appellations (e.g. St.Émilion and Pomerol), and ripe vintages like 2000, 2003, 2005 and 2009.

Thanks Tim. I appreciate it.

Jeff
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:15 am

I'd suggest the minor appellations, Bourg and Blaye
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:56 am

Tim York wrote:For me traces of noble green and herbal flavours are an essential part of the complexity of fine left-bank Bordeaux and can also be present in good right-bankers.

Tim, are you a Rolland fan? When was the conversation!!! LOL.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:00 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta wrote:

Tim, are you a Rolland fan? When was the conversation!!! LOL.

As much as everyone else here, Bob :wink: .
Tim York
no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:01 pm

Atchison, KS

by Ryan M » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:55 pm

If you like polished Cab Sauv like Beringer Private Reserve but want rustic, dusty tannins, you have no further to look than a good St. Estephe. And the lesser chateaux are generally good values in quality Bordeaux.
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
no avatar
User

Shaji M

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:24 pm

by Shaji M » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:30 pm

Right Bank as well as some Chilean producers (eg. Montes) might fit your bill! I personally though like a bit of herbal character in my Bordeaux blends.
-Shaji
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:10 pm

Peter May wrote:I'd suggest the minor appellations, Bourg and Blaye

Completely agree. For Jeff: they're a little further south, and tend to get riper fruit that shows opulence early on.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff B

Rank

Champagne Lover

by Jeff B » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:40 pm

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Jeff
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:44 am

Jenise wrote:
Peter May wrote:I'd suggest the minor appellations, Bourg and Blaye

Completely agree. For Jeff: they're a little further south, and tend to get riper fruit that shows opulence early on.

I agree that there are excellent values in these appellations, also in Fronsac, and Merlot is the dominant variety in all three, but I think that Jeff is more likely to meet herbal flavours here than in the more famous right bank appellations. As for St.Estèphe, herbal flavours are very common and so much the better for those like me who welcome them in moderation.

Jenise: re further south? Than what? Pauillac, St.Julien and St.Estèphe, yes. Margaux and Pessac, no. St.Émilion and Pomerol, no.
Tim York