The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: QPR organics from N.Burg (1) & S.Rhône (2)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

WTN: QPR organics from N.Burg (1) & S.Rhône (2)

by Tim York » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:06 pm

We don't go very often to Rob, the Brussels gastronomic temple, because there is too much temptation. On our last visit this partly took the form of a wine presentation by Roger Michel of La Cave des Oblats in Liège, perhaps my favourite Belgian wine merchant and a wonderful discoverer of new estates. I came away with these three wines and, for once, in-house PO didn't complain :) .

Bourgogne Aligoté L’Empreinte du Terroir 2011 – Domaine Goisot – Alc.12.5% - (€10). Organic grapes. When I tried this at the tasting, I found it like pure spring water laced deliciously crisp fruit and minerals with a hint of underlying “gras”. However at home with a rather rich fish dish, it impressed less. The crispness and minerality were still apparent but there was a slightly coarse charcoal note which I didn’t remember and the overall effect was duller than I expected. I think that the pairing was misconceived being probably too sophisticated for the grape and next time I will try it with shellfish or as a starter wine with light tapas. At the tasting good 15.5/20; needing confirmation with a suitable pairing.

Vin de Pays de Vaucluse IGP 2012 - Domaine de Fondrèche, Ventoux – Alc.13.5% - (€8), from 30 % Grenache, 30 % Syrah, 30 % Mourvédre &10 % Cinsault grapes grown organically and made “naturally” without sulphur. This was medium/light bodied and delightfully fresh and sweet fruited with spice, lively acidity and grippy tang. Probably nowhere to go but downwards after a few months and therefore needing to be drunk quickly :D . Very good now 16/20 QPR!!

Côtes du Rhône 2011 – Mas de Libian, Ardèche – Alc.14.5% - (€12), made from Grenache, Syrah & Mourvèdre grapes certified by Demeter as organically grown. This estate usually makes several cuvées including one mainly from Mourvèdre, which Roger Michel told me was not made in 2011, their grapes went into this simple CDR. This was another delicious young S.Rhône but quite different from the previous being fuller bodied with marked liquorice coated tannic structure, probably contributed by the extra dose of Mourvèdre. Added to this was delicious raspberry tinged fruit combined with mineral and tar notes and lively acidity. This one may improve for a few years but already very good 16/20 QPR.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: QPR organics from N.Burg (1) & S.Rhône (2)

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:44 pm

Nice, did PO chip in?