Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Feijoa aka pineapple guava

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

Feijoa aka pineapple guava

by Barb Downunder » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:54 am

Does anyone have thoughts on preps for this fruit? (they are not actually a guava}
A friend has given me some, I have weekend guests and thought it might be nice to use them.
A crumble could work, a cake, But wow ate one, and they are so perfumed! Crikey!! I cannot get my head around any of the recipes on the net with such perfume.
Thinking really to do a fruit plate but?????? being autumn and in the country with limited shopping, few fruits of quality are available.
I cannot "see" them with cheese.
Hey maybe in the fruit bowl for snacking!
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: Feijoa aka pineapple guava

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:48 am

Daiquiri (scoop out some flesh, mix with rum, lime or lime cordial; blenderize).
Salsa (peel and chop, add onion, coriander, brown sugar, black pepper).
Smoothie?
Chutney?
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:04 am

Barb Downunder wrote:Does anyone have thoughts on preps for this fruit? (they are not actually a guava}
A friend has given me some, I have weekend guests and thought it might be nice to use them.
A crumble could work, a cake, But wow ate one, and they are so perfumed! Crikey!! I cannot get my head around any of the recipes on the net with such perfume.
Thinking really to do a fruit plate but?????? being autumn and in the country with limited shopping, few fruits of quality are available.
I cannot "see" them with cheese.
Hey maybe in the fruit bowl for snacking!

When ever I am using something that is new to me in the fresh fruit category, I like to feature the fruit and eat it fresh. Have you seen Korean Melon? If you can find one, maybe at an Asian grocer near you, make a plate of both fruits along with a contrasting fruit of another color like watermelon and make a beautiful plate with each fruit being showcased in it's own section. Leave one half of the new fruits intact so folks can see what they look like. I like a mix of sour cream, honey, and lime zest to put in the center of the platter. It really goes well with the fruits.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:10 pm

Barb, that is one of my favorite fruits in the world, and when I'm lucky enough to get my hands on some, they never get any further than cut in half at the belly with a knife and scooped out with a serrated grapefruit spoon. I can't imagine, therefore, cooking it into a dessert. It might not be that attractive either, since the pulp is a putty-ish shade of blonde. HOWEVER, chopped and combined with some real pineapple and perhaps a bit of mint, say, it might make an interesting 'salsa' as Jeff suggested for ice cream and a some kind of a sponge cake.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:35 am

Thanks folks.
Keeping on the fresh side does seem the best way to go.
I think I'll just let people scoop; out their own. If more come my way I think I could go for some sort of salsa maybe.
Perhaps I will have a feijoa daiquiri while I ponder thus weighty problem.! :D