Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Anyone celebrate Summer Equinox ?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

Anyone celebrate Summer Equinox ?

by Christina Georgina » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:41 pm

Thinking of having drinks on the patio and a bonfire. Are there any traditional foods that one serves ?? Simply looking for an excuse to have an event with a theme :-]
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: Anyone celebrate Summer Equinox ?

by Dale Williams » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:55 pm

What is a summer equinox? I get spring (and fall) equinox, and the solstices.
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:10 pm

Obviously Christina is talking about the Summer Solstice on June 21. The solstices are easy for me to remember because my wife's birthday a day or two before the Summer one and my birthday is the day before the Winter Solstice.

Did you see the stories online about "Manhattan-henge"? A lot of them mistakenly said THAT was the solstice, when the Sun sets due west and shines right down the numbered streets in Manhattan. Actually there are 2 Manhattan-henges, 3 weeks (or so) before the real solstice and 3 weeks (or so) afterwards.

My wife used to have fantasies involving a group of friends reading through A Midsummer Night's Dream. I still have a fantasy about going to Sweden, drinking too much Akvavit and hanging out with blonde skinny dippers. Probably her fantasy is more likely to come true than mine.
no avatar
User

Fredrik L

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:54 pm

by Fredrik L » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:08 am

Frank Deis wrote:My wife used to have fantasies involving a group of friends reading through A Midsummer Night's Dream. I still have a fantasy about going to Sweden, drinking too much Akvavit and hanging out with blonde skinny dippers. Probably her fantasy is more likely to come true than mine.

Fact is I have done both: the former is okay but the latter rules! 8)

Greetings from Sweden / Fredrik L
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:41 am

This sure seems like something that ought to be celebrated, but I've not done it. Just from going over the list of Midsummer festivities on the Wikipedia page, it looks as though food is not a big part of these things. Bonfires seem to be the common theme, so I guess grilling would be appropriate.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:48 am

The usual themes are outdoors, the bonfire, and perhaps some drink.

In youth, a nice round of bocce in the garden au naturel sipping young wine would have offered itself as an idea, but given the shortage of virgins these days, and the fact that the neighbours would object to that sort of thing militates against this traditional approach, and anyway, you tend to lose balls in the moonlight.

Better to do an evening barbie and bay at the moon standing around the fire pit?
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:19 pm

Thanks all. I knew there was something amiss about summer equinox :oops: ! I did have in mind listening to the last act of Meistersinger as I believe it takes place on the summer solstice but not everyone is an operavore. Food does not seem to play a major role in the festivities from what I am reading as well so I'll just have to make something up :wink:
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:09 pm

Christina Georgina wrote:Thanks all. I knew there was something amiss about summer equinox :oops: ! I did have in mind listening to the last act of Meistersinger as I believe it takes place on the summer solstice but not everyone is an operavore. Food does not seem to play a major role in the festivities from what I am reading as well so I'll just have to make something up :wink:

Hey, if there's not a tradition yet then you should start one! Let us know what you cook.

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:01 pm

Other than the usual climbing up an obelisk that is positioned in the middle of a bonfire, naked, covered in pig fat with a champagne bottle under each arm, nothing special.
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:38 pm

Jon Peterson wrote:Other than the usual climbing up an obelisk that is positioned in the middle of a bonfire, naked, covered in pig fat with a champagne bottle under each arm, nothing special.

Just wondering Jon, are you Swedish? No particular reason :D
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:41 pm

I want to party with Jon!!!