The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: The Dorks of York guzzle summer bubbles

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: The Dorks of York guzzle summer bubbles

by Jenise » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:45 pm

NV Patrick Piuze Champagne Cremant de Bourgogne Non-Dose Val de Mer
Offputting skunky sulfurish nose (dissipates somewhat but not completely) that gives no hint of the sweet canned pear syrup coming on the palate. Odd because of the nose; other TN's don't mention it, so will consider this a flawed bottle. 60% jacquare, 20% chardonnay, 20% altesse.

2010 Bisson Golfo del Tigullio Abissi Bianchetta Genovese
Jesse's bottle. Almost clear. Ranier cherry and linear at first, good nose, develops minerality, coriander seed and some spice. Terrific mouthfeel. Excellent. Great story too: aged underwater, the tide riddles the bottles which emerge covered with sea-floor goop. This was one of only 24 bottles brought into the U.S. I love stuff like this!

2009 Domaine de la Fontainerie Brut
My bottle. Assertive red apple skin with sea water and honeycomb. Great flavor but bubbles lack persistence in the glass.

2002 Huët Vouvray Pétillant Brut
Brian's bottle. Musty nose, wet dog, applesauce and raw green cabbage. Bubbles lack persistence, seems older and a little tired. Good but not the showing we expected. I see notes on Cellar Tracker mentioning rapid aging--well, this was one!

NV Gosset Champagne Brut Excellence
Cellared by me since 2008. Creamy with yeast and cheese on the nose, rich on the palate with those plus lime curd. Very developed flavor from bottle maturation, WOTN for most.

2009 Argyle Brut, Willamette Valley Champagne Blend
Pale, colorless. Prosecco-like, almost off dry with a bitter almond note. Soul-less and empty, more like a charmat than methode traditionelle. We've all had Argyle bubbles before, and they've always been credible where this is not. What happened?

NV Louis de Bez Languedoc Brut
From Ugni Blanc. Red apple skins, off dry with strong nail polish aroma supported by rotting banana skin. Provided as evidence of what $10 can buy you. Conclusion: not much!

NV La Collina Lunarius Secco, Emiglia Romana
Peachy nose with bergamot, papaya on the palate. Slightly off dry but the finish is clean. Muscat-like spice and complexity but broader and deeper. Superb.

NV Les Rouailles Brut Vin-de-Savoie
60% jacquare, 20% chardonnay, 20% altesse. Overtly skunky, sulfurish nose leaves one unprepared for the sweet canned pear syrup on the palate. Flawed bottle (others on Cellartracker obviously didn't get a nose like this).
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jim Grow

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:31 am

Rockbridge Ohio

Re: WTN: The Dorks of York guzzle summer bubbles

by Jim Grow » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:56 pm

NV Patrick Piuze Champagne Cremant de Bourgogne Non-Dose Val de Mer . I guess this was not a true Champagne but did the label really state "Champagne". Certainly a Cremant de Borgogne (or a Cremant from anywhere else) would never be considered a "true" Champagne. Those two weird varietals I have never seen listed as possibly included in Champagne.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:05 pm

No, of course Cremant de Bourgogne isn't Champagne. I have bottle or 2 of this non-dose, will open soon to compare

Any idea of release of the Huet? Mine have generally shown younger

I've still got a couple of bottles of the Gossett Excellence released about 2008, I've generally enjoyed
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:58 am

Jim Grow wrote:NV Patrick Piuze Champagne Cremant de Bourgogne Non-Dose Val de Mer . I guess this was not a true Champagne but did the label really state "Champagne". Certainly a Cremant de Borgogne (or a Cremant from anywhere else) would never be considered a "true" Champagne. Those two weird varietals I have never seen listed as possibly included in Champagne.

Ha! Good catch. I didn't write the description, it's on Cellartracker that way. Definitely an error!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:01 am

Dale Williams wrote:No, of course Cremant de Bourgogne isn't Champagne. I have bottle or 2 of this non-dose, will open soon to compare

I've still got a couple of bottles of the Gossett Excellence released about 2008, I've generally enjoyed

No, no idea re the Huet. It's owner did say that he's had multiple bottles ot it, however, and this was the first that disappointed.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:01 am

Jenise wrote:
Dale Williams wrote:No, of course Cremant de Bourgogne isn't Champagne. I have bottle or 2 of this non-dose, will open soon to compare

No, no idea re the Huet. It's owner did say that he's had multiple bottles ot it, however, and this was the first that disappointed. Not sure how much time has passed since he opened one last.