Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Jam or Jelly?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jeff B

Rank

Champagne Lover

Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:01 pm

Michigan (perhaps more cleverly known as "The Big Mitten")

Jam or Jelly?

by Jeff B » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:40 am

Generally speaking, which one do you fancy?

I prefer jelly myself. Much in the same way that I don't like bits of fruit in ice cream, I don't like the bits of fruit found in jams. And jelly is the only way to go when pairing it with peanut butter. A peanut butter and jam sandwich just isn't the same...:)

Jeff
"Meeting Franklin Roosevelt was like opening your first bottle of champagne. Knowing him was like drinking it." - Winston Churchill
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

Re: Jam or Jelly?

by Jon Peterson » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:04 am

Check off "jelly" next to my name in the book your writing, too, Jeff. However, I do enjoy some home made jams, but they are the exception.
no avatar
User

Fred Sipe

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:34 am

Sunless Rust-Belt NE Ohio

by Fred Sipe » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:16 am

Yes. But usually jelly. Loves me some elderberry in particular.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:39 am

Strawberry Freezer Jam all the way for both of us. I make it in summer when the strawberries are red all the way through, and I leave chunks of berries in my jam. It is so good.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:35 pm

Jam, or preserves. Texture!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff B

Rank

Champagne Lover

by Jeff B » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:54 pm

Jenise wrote:Jam, or preserves. Texture!

The texture comes from the crunchy peanut butter... :D

Jeff
"Meeting Franklin Roosevelt was like opening your first bottle of champagne. Knowing him was like drinking it." - Winston Churchill
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:02 pm

Ditto!
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:24 pm

Jo Ann Henderson wrote:

Ditto!

Agreed, that gelatin texture is not very appealing to me. Seems too artificial and un-food like. On top of which, the flavors tend to be purer in jam.
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:43 pm

I grew up with peanut butter sandwiches, and grape jelly was the standard. I didn't enjoy the home-made jams available -- we lived far enough south that there were fig trees and my mom would make fig preserves. Too much to deal with if you're eleven years old. I still am pretty happy when I can find blackberry jelly or raspberry jelly. None of those icky seeds!

However I don't know for how long, but I've had a soft spot for strawberry jam. One of my first college girlfriends had actually spent a summer picking tiny strawberries for "Little Scarlet" the ultimate strawberry jam from Tiptree I think. I still buy that occasionally. But I think the pinnacle of strawberry jam eating was when we were in Devon, in England, and sat out on the lawn of our hotel in mid-afternoon and were served a nice pot of tea with "cream teas." It is hard for me to imagine that experience without the sort of perfect gooey strawberry jam on the unctuous Devonshire clotted cream, all spread on a delicious tender biscuit. mmmmm.

Still I don't think strawberry jam goes that well with peanut butter. But these days when I have peanut butter on toast it's usually without jam or jelly...

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:08 pm

Jeff B wrote:

The texture comes from the crunchy peanut butter... :D

Jeff

No, no. No crunchy!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:11 pm

Rahsaan wrote: Seems too artificial and un-food like. On top of which, the flavors tend to be purer in jam.

My take exactly. But we idolize real, fresh fruit. I'm not sure Jeff does; if they made Coke jelly, it would be his favorite. :)
no avatar
User

Jeff B

Rank

Champagne Lover

by Jeff B » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:37 pm

Jenise wrote:
Rahsaan wrote: Seems too artificial and un-food like. On top of which, the flavors tend to be purer in jam.

My take exactly. But we idolize real, fresh fruit. I'm not sure Jeff does; if they made Coke jelly, it would be his favorite. :)

Now that's a brilliant idea! :D

I must admit that it's that gelatin texture in jelly that I like. Any real particles of fruit is distracting to the velvety mouthfeel of jelly, in my humble opinion.

Listen to me, doing a "tasting note" on peanut butter and jelly sandwiches... :lol:

Jeff
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:15 pm

Depends on the application. For toast, I'd go with preserves. For a PB&J, it's definitely jelly. I take these with me for lunch on most work days, and preserves are liquidy enough that they end up leaking out the side of the sandwich and making a mess. Jelly doesn't do that. The big problem with jelly is finding it in any flavor other than grape or strawberry. The stores here have shelf after shelf of preserves and jam, but the jelly is limited to two offerings.

And I'm with Frank when it comes to the seeds - I really don't like any preserves or jam with lots of little seeds in it. I'll take something like cherry or blueberry over strawberry or raspberry any day.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

by David Creighton » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:19 pm

don't kick out the jams, brothers and sisters - jam for me. at the hotel i stay at in chinon, the owner, Laurent, makes dozens of different types of jam from mostly local ingredients; and has even written a book on jam. this year i was lucky enough to be given a jar to take home!

and am i the only one who brings locally produced products with me to give to hoteliers who are especially helpful; or winery owners who do special things - older vintages - vineyard tours or barrel tasting? i usually bring maple syrup from MI as i am told that good products of that type are hard to find in france.
david creighton
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:24 pm

We went to some effort to take Vermont maple syrup to my German cousins. Turns out it's like peanut butter for some Europeans, they just don't get it. Maybe it's different in France.
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:02 am

Jam every time.
And for me it's honey with the PB!! (So okay I LIKE vegemite too> :lol:
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:59 am

Frank Deis wrote:We went to some effort to take Vermont maple syrup to my German cousins. Turns out it's like peanut butter for some Europeans, they just don't get it. Maybe it's different in France.

The same could be said for lots of Americans who don't grow up with maple syrup (as opposed to pancake syrup). In my experience, the Europeans who like sweet things (e.g. honey, jam) will also like maple syrup, which is probably the same as in the US. Although I suppose you may be able to argue that the distinctive taste of maple syrup requires getting used to. I'm just not sure about that.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:08 am

Jam. Strawberry jam on rye toast. I also love apricot jam, apple butter and orange marmalade.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:31 am

Jam - with one exception...

For some years now we've been eating the jams we've made from wild-fruits we've picked in the hedgerows - cherries, various types of plums -(incl mirabelles, damsons and bullaces) and blackberries, plus grapes and gooseberries from our garden, and marmalade from supermarket bought Seville oranges.

The blackberries have a lot of tiny seeds so we tried straining them out and the resultant jelly has such intense flavour its fantastic. But for all others the whole fruit is included, and chopped peel in the marmalade.

Never had peanut sandwich with or without jelly.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:00 am

Like 'em both so long as there's no seeds!