Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Trailer trash food?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Trailer trash food?

by Jenise » Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:51 pm

That's the theme of our next Supper Club, "trailer trash". My first reaction was, "COOL!" and my second was, "What in the heck IS trailer trash food?" I need to adhere to the concept while elevating the food at the same time--after all, it must be edible.

Any ideas?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:06 pm

Northerm NJ, USA

Re: Trailer trash food?

by Tom NJ » Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:13 pm

Lol. Look for any recipe that has in its ingredients list: "1 can Cream of (something) Soup", and you're in.

Learned that from my (formerly) trailer trash wife :D

If all else fails, take whatever you have on hand and top it with spray cheese.
"He ordered as one to the Menu born...."
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:24 pm

Tom, there goes my step-mother's entire repertoire*. :)

As for spray can cheese, you're onto something: same idea, with no scary spray, is Cheez Wiz which I was convinced was the basis for a bright orange sauce that a very fine Italian restaurant used to serve with lobster agnolotti. And then there's Tater Tots. I am guessing that the basis of any good trailer trash food is processed/packaged ingredients, right?

I've been looking at pictures on the web. At least half of them feature hot dogs.

This is going to require even more cleverness than traditional high end cooking, I'm starting to realize.

*Though I loved her tamale pie made with canned tamales, I have to admit.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:26 pm

Mac and cheese (the real stuff- with decent cheeses) laced with truffles

Peanut butter and jelly canapes on homemade bread rounds

"Spam"- buy a can of spam, dump the product and clean the can inside and out... stuff it with pate and serve with homemade crackers (placed in a Ritz cracker box, of course)

You get the idea or go for the real thing and add your touches:

Canned beans & hot dogs
Block of Velveeta added to can of no bean chili, serve with chunks of crusty white bread
taco salad with Frito's, ground beef, salsa, cheese and iceberg lettuce
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:06 pm

Northerm NJ, USA

by Tom NJ » Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:35 pm

Jenise wrote:And then there's Tater Tots.

TATER TOTS! How the heck did that one not immediately spring to keyboard? Just set out a pile next to a pitcher of Tang or grape soda, and you're golden, baby!
"He ordered as one to the Menu born...."
no avatar
User

Fred Sipe

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:34 am

Sunless Rust-Belt NE Ohio

by Fred Sipe » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:37 pm

Something my mother called "wiener stew." Cut up hot dogs, potatoes and carrots with liquid (chicken broth) cooked up together.

Hamburg gravy over mashed potatoes with lots of bread and butter.

Either one, substitute and add to?
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:50 pm

Some sort of riff on Jell-O?
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:23 pm

Roadkill? :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:32 pm

Possum stew?
Frito pie?

The possibilities are...uh... limitless.

Mark Lipton

(How about "nachos" that consist of ground beef, sour cream, Cheez Wiz and ketchup with Tabasco?)
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:19 am

Fish sticks!
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:30 am

Jenise wrote:That's the theme of our next Supper Club, "trailer trash". My first reaction was, "COOL!" and my second was, "What in the heck IS trailer trash food?" I need to adhere to the concept while elevating the food at the same time--after all, it must be edible.

I'm not really the most PC guy, but I find the idea of people certainly in the top 10 percentile (if not the "1%") making fun of people in the bottom 10 percentile of income rather "tasteless"=obviously others disagree.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:38 am

Dale Williams wrote:I'm not really the most PC guy, but I find the idea of people certainly in the top 10 percentile (if not the "1%") making fun of people in the bottom 10 percentile of income rather "tasteless"=obviously others disagree.

I've gone back and forth on this myself, Dale. We've been involved in conversations regarding such meals in the past and there's an element of discomfort for me that comes from the idea that this is denigrating other people in our society. I think, though, that despite the "trailer trash" moniker, the idea is to be creative with a certain type of food rather than to make fun of those we might think are eating it. I don't think my approach to the meal would change if it were called a "junk food" dinner rather than a "trailer trash" dinner.

BTW, Jenise, how about homemade Hostess cupcakes for dessert? Might go nice with Banyuls....
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:56 pm

Dale Williams wrote:I'm not really the most PC guy, but I find the idea of people certainly in the top 10 percentile (if not the "1%") making fun of people in the bottom 10 percentile of income rather "tasteless"=obviously others disagree.

A couple things you should know before you judge. All the members of this Supper Club are politically liberal, caring people who go out of their way to help the less fortunate in our community. For instance Linda, a former nurse, works tirelessly to find benefits to help young, poor, knocked up girls bring healthy babies into this world. Me, I fund a scholarship for disadvantaged single mothers in the culinary arts program at our local tech school. And then there's Rich, the host who chose this theme: he grew up bona-fide trailer trash (his word!) in the midwest, and he's not a rich man now by any means. If anyone's making fun, it's Rich and he owns that right. And the rest of us, we're not sitting here with our pinkies in the air making fun of anyone, Dale. It's just food.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:04 pm

Mike Filigenzi wrote:Some sort of riff on Jell-O?

I think I'd have to like Jello more than I do in order to give that "my all". I'm better off at the Tater Tot end of things. But hey, feast your eyes on this recipe: it was the hit dish of a luncheon I was invited to but couldn't attend a few weeks ago, and a clamor for the recipe caused it to land in my inbox. To someone with a white and creamy aversion like me, it doesn't get any scarier.

Subject: Recipe
FROG'S EYE SALAD

1 1/3 cups (8 oz.) Ronzoni Acini di Pepe, uncooked
1 can (20 oz.) pineapple chunks, drained (reserve 1/4 cup juice)
1 3/4 cups milk
1/4 cup sugar
1 pkg. (3.4 oz.) vanilla instant pudding
1 can (8 oz.) crushed pineapple, drained
2 cans (11 oz. each) mandarin orange segments, drained
2 cups frozen non-dairy whipped topping, thawed
3 cups miniature marshmallows
1/2 cup flaked coconut

Cook pasta 11 minutes. Rinse with cold water, drain well. In large bowl, beat reserved pineapple juice, milk, sugar and pudding two minutes. Gently stir in pasta and remaining ingredients; cover. Refrigerate at least five hours. 12 servings
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:05 pm

Tom NJ wrote:
Jenise wrote:And then there's Tater Tots.

TATER TOTS! How the heck did that one not immediately spring to keyboard? Just set out a pile next to a pitcher of Tang or grape soda, and you're golden, baby!

This is it.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:07 pm

Hum...I never thought of it in reference to a class of people but rather, a type of food that is easily and quickly thrown together, from cans, boxes, inexpensive ingredients , that type of thing. In thinking about it, I've known folks who live in mobile homes in mobile home parks.
The ones I have been to in Redding are lovely, well kept, beautiful landscaping and mostly retired folks. I know there is one that borders the Sacramento River that the City would like to get rid of, but I have never been there. I have seen trailer trash places in movies....guess I am rather sheltered. :|

I agree with Jenise, it is just food they are after, not poking fun at anyone.

Another thing, I do recall a mobile home park flooding a few years back. It seems a creek overflowed, plus it had something to do with an old, and broken sewer system in the park that the creep landlord would never address. Gene and I took some clothing, pet food, cat litter, and canned goods down to the office to help out the folks and I noticed it was really a dumpy place to live. However, I also saw a lot of disabled folks, very poor mothers with children that looked like they had not had a decent meal in a long time. I was horrified. Some of the citizens formed a group, and got the City fathers to go after the landlord and made him update the place for the health, safety and welfare of the residents. Last time we went to take a look, it had improved immensely.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:08 pm

Jenise wrote:
Mike Filigenzi wrote:Some sort of riff on Jell-O?

I think I'd have to like Jello more than I do in order to give that "my all". I'm better off at the Tater Tot end of things. But hey, feast your eyes on this recipe: it was the hit dish of a luncheon I was invited to but couldn't attend a few weeks ago, and a clamor for the recipe caused it to land in my inbox. To someone with a white and creamy aversion like me, it doesn't get any scarier.

Subject: Recipe
FROG'S EYE SALAD

1 1/3 cups (8 oz.) Ronzoni Acini di Pepe, uncooked
1 can (20 oz.) pineapple chunks, drained (reserve 1/4 cup juice)
1 3/4 cups milk
1/4 cup sugar
1 pkg. (3.4 oz.) vanilla instant pudding
1 can (8 oz.) crushed pineapple, drained
2 cans (11 oz. each) mandarin orange segments, drained
2 cups frozen non-dairy whipped topping, thawed
3 cups miniature marshmallows
1/2 cup flaked coconut

Cook pasta 11 minutes. Rinse with cold water, drain well. In large bowl, beat reserved pineapple juice, milk, sugar and pudding two minutes. Gently stir in pasta and remaining ingredients; cover. Refrigerate at least five hours. 12 servings

My guess is that this is really good and would go over at your party. Sounds yummy to me!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:15 pm

I just got a new Vitamix blender and I'm itching to blend stuff. Suddenly, I'm thinking of a pureed soup made out of tater tots and Cheez Wiz.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:19 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:
My guess is that this is really good and would go over at your party. Sounds yummy to me!

It must taste pretty good or all those women wouldn't have gone nuts over it. But I can't make something like that--whipped cream? Marshmallows? Pudding? I am phobic about cold/white/creamy food and pudding-ish textures. Can't make it, can't eat it.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:45 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:Hum...I never thought of it in reference to a class of people but rather, a type of food that is easily and quickly thrown together, from cans, boxes, inexpensive ingredients , that type of thing.

Then why not say 'elevated junk food'. It seems to me that the word 'trailer trash' pretty unambiguously refers to a specific class of people.

That said, your idea for using a Spam container without the Spam and a Ritz box without the Ritz sounded pretty clever to me.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:18 pm

Then why not say 'elevated junk food'. It seems to me that the word 'trailer trash' pretty unambiguously refers to a specific class of people.

Well, I'm not the one who said it to start with...in fact, I don't think I have ever used that term. Not something I would even think of.
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:45 pm

White Trash Cooking by Ernest Matthew Mickler, published by 10 Speed Press 1986 is the perfect reference cook book for this event. From Tutti's Fruited Porkettes to Big Reba's Ice Box Cake with a Cold Collard Sandwich on the side it is a genuine, funny cookbook without condescension. Barbara Kafka said: 'the food goes from awful with lots of 'oleo' to very good. the language is funny throughout"
I have never cooked from the book but have enjoyed reading the recipes and accompanying stories.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:43 pm

I have tried to think of reasons why this would seem like a good or interesting thing to do and I am coming up dry.

Guess I just don't get this one. (need a scratching head icon here)
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:23 am

I recall someone, several years ago (Joe Perry?), mentioning tiny hot dogs (Vienna Sausage?) being served with a Concord grape jelly glaze and toothpicks.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
Next