The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.
User avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Posts

1253

Joined

Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:45 pm

Location

Orange County, California

Re: Wine Focus for June: Bouquet of Rosés

by James Dietz » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:49 pm

  • 2009 Domaine Tempier Bandol Rosé - France, Provence, Bandol (6/6/2013)

    Not sure if this is beginning to fade or simply not as good as expect. Color is the expected salmon, but the palate lacks some acidity to brighten the fruit. It's not a bad wine, just not what I have come to expect. (90 pts.)

    Image
Posted from CellarTracker
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Steve Edmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Posts

717

Joined

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:05 am

Location

Berkeley, CA

Re: Wine Focus for June: Bouquet of Rosés

by Steve Edmunds » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:31 pm

Super-ripe year, James
I don't know just how I'm supposed to play this scene, but I ain't afraid to learn...
User avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Posts

1253

Joined

Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:45 pm

Location

Orange County, California

Re: Wine Focus for June: Bouquet of Rosés

by James Dietz » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:46 pm

Steve Edmunds wrote:Super-ripe year, James


Thanks! So the grapes blew thru optimum acidity. Or something like that?
Cheers, Jim
User avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Posts

3980

Joined

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:35 pm

Location

Lexington, Ky.

Re: Wine Focus for June: Bouquet of Rosés

by Bob Henrick » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:45 pm

James Dietz wrote:
  • 2009 Domaine Tempier Bandol Rosé - France, Provence, Bandol (6/6/2013)

    Not sure if this is beginning to fade or simply not as good as expect. Color is the expected salmon, but the palate lacks some acidity to brighten the fruit. It's not a bad wine, just not what I have come to expect. (90 pts.)

    Image
Posted from CellarTracker


James, that wine sells here in Lexington Ky. for nearly $30 per 750Ml bottle. I would be mighty pi$$ed if I purchased one and found what you report. I've been known to go a decade without revisiting a winery's wares after something like that. Yeah, call me a curmudgeon. :lol:
Bob Henrick
User avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Posts

1253

Joined

Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:45 pm

Location

Orange County, California

Re: Wine Focus for June: Bouquet of Rosés

by James Dietz » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:59 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:
James Dietz wrote:
  • 2009 Domaine Tempier Bandol Rosé - France, Provence, Bandol (6/6/2013)

    Not sure if this is beginning to fade or simply not as good as expect. Color is the expected salmon, but the palate lacks some acidity to brighten the fruit. It's not a bad wine, just not what I have come to expect. (90 pts.)

    Image
Posted from CellarTracker


James, that wine sells here in Lexington Ky. for nearly $30 per 750Ml bottle. I would be mighty pi$$ed if I purchased one and found what you report. I've been known to go a decade without revisiting a winery's wares after something like that. Yeah, call me a curmudgeon. :lol:


Dear curmudgeon, I hear you. And, yes $30ish is about right.
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Posts

3961

Joined

Tue May 09, 2006 3:48 pm

Location

near Lisieux, France

Re: Wine Focus for June: Bouquet of Rosés

by Tim York » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:24 am

Tavel Le Mistral 2011 - Sélectionné par SA Louis Mousset - Alc.13.5% - (c.€8), made from Grenache, Syrah, Cinsault & Clairette.
The persistent low pressure which gave us a miserably cold and wet May and flooded vineyards in Alsace and Burgundy has now moved east giving the same treatment to the Elbe and Danube basins. Sudden temperatures in the mid-20s C (upper 70sF) caught me short of pink so I rushed out to buy this one at the local delicatessen to accompany a tuna and olive salad. It was a pot lock purchase as I have never heard of the producer.

As usual with Tavel the colour was quite deep and more ruby than salmon, the normal tint in Rosé de Provence. The nose was agreeable with rose hints which carried over onto the medium+ bodied palate. There was more backbone than in many pinks. I have had Tavel which more character, e.g. Mordorée and Aquéria, but the wine successfully performed its summer task. Good 15/20.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Gary Kahle

Rank

Wine geek

Posts

81

Joined

Sun May 27, 2012 10:08 am

Location

Traverse City, MI

Re: Wine Focus for June: Bouquet of Rosés

by Gary Kahle » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:44 pm

I just opened another of my favorites Rose’s from Provence. This is Chateau des Annibals from Coteaux Varois en Provence. This is 60% Cinsault and 40% Grenache done in stainless. Color is light salmon with aromas of white peach and minerals. In the mouth it’s light and delicate, nice acidity and flavors of raspberries & wild strawberries. I think retail in most markets (if you can find it) should be around $20. Look for the gold elephant on the label.
Cheers, Gary
User avatar
User

Joy Lindholm

Rank

Ultra geek

Posts

352

Joined

Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:41 am

Location

Omaha, NE

Re: Wine Focus for June: Bouquet of Rosés

by Joy Lindholm » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:14 pm

James Dietz wrote:
Bob Henrick wrote:
James Dietz wrote:
  • 2009 Domaine Tempier Bandol Rosé - France, Provence, Bandol (6/6/2013)

    Not sure if this is beginning to fade or simply not as good as expect. Color is the expected salmon, but the palate lacks some acidity to brighten the fruit. It's not a bad wine, just not what I have come to expect. (90 pts.)

    Image
Posted from CellarTracker


James, that wine sells here in Lexington Ky. for nearly $30 per 750Ml bottle. I would be mighty pi$$ed if I purchased one and found what you report. I've been known to go a decade without revisiting a winery's wares after something like that. Yeah, call me a curmudgeon. :lol:


Dear curmudgeon, I hear you. And, yes $30ish is about right.


My guess is that it is over the hill. Most rosé isn't designed to age, and I probably wouldn't drink one older than 2011 at this point - even Bandol. I have tried the last couple vintages of Tempier, and your notes don't sound typical. Maybe try a 2012 and compare?
User avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Posts

3980

Joined

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:35 pm

Location

Lexington, Ky.

Re: Wine Focus for June: Bouquet of Rosés

by Bob Henrick » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:29 pm

Joy, it has not been my experience that wines with decent acidity lose it over time, even in off vintages. Fruit can and does fade, sometimes quickly. But, acid just becomes more of a screeching tooth etching nasty undesirable. I rather expect this wine wasn't real good right out of the gate. I am from Kentucky so I had to throw that little horse racing note in there. :lol:
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Posts

3961

Joined

Tue May 09, 2006 3:48 pm

Location

near Lisieux, France

Re: Wine Focus for June: Bouquet of Rosés

by Tim York » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:06 am

Tavel Les Vallognes 2012 - SCA Jean Olivier, Aquéria - Alc.14% - (c.€10). The mini heat wave is forecast to end tomorrow so we rushed to get in another rosé. Comparing this to the leftovers of yesterday's bottle of Tavel "Mistral" there was remarkably little difference. Colour was slightly lighter and body and backbone slightly greater, perhaps due to the extra alcohol. If my last year's notes are correct it is slightly less expressive than the 2011 but became more so as it warmed up towards 15°C (59°F). I think that these heavier and more "serious" Rhône valley pinks from Tavel and Lirac benefit from being served at around or slightly above "ideal" cellar temperature (said to be 55°F). Good 15/20.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Posts

4061

Joined

Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:38 pm

Location

Middleton, NH, USA

Re: Wine Focus for June: Bouquet of Rosés

by Carl Eppig » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:08 pm

2011 Jean-Luc Colombo, Cape Bleue, Rose': ($11 at Trader Joes, Alcohol level: 12%). This is a lovely wine made from Syrah 40%, Morvedre 40%, and Councise 20%. It is rather complex for this kind of wine; it gives you peaches, rose petals, and spice on the nose and upfront; some more fruit including cherries, raspberries, and licorice or fennel flavors in the middle; and a delightful finish.

We matched it with grilled boneless pork chops over charcoal and hickory chips, baked yellow potatoes, green beans almandine, and sliced vine ripped tomatoes. A very nice Sunday night dinner.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Posts

6119

Joined

Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:23 pm

Location

Fayetteville, NC

Re: Wine Focus for June: Bouquet of Rosés

by JC (NC) » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:57 pm

Two rose' wines:

2012 T Zweigelt Rose' Mittelbach, Austria. Screwcap. 12.5% alcohol. Pale salmon or blush color. Strawberry and citrus notes. Crisp and refreshing but nothing too exciting. Mild body. Reminded me of a Cinsault-based blended wine from Provence although geographically far away vineyards.

2012 Crienne Rose' A glass of this Cinsault blend at a restaurant in Durham, NC with a haystack shrimp appetizer. Very pleasant. Very pale salmon-pink color. Watermelon with a suggestion of cranberry or pomegranate flavors. I couldn't find anything more on this wine online.

I am opening a red wine tonight to go with lamb chop but when that is gone I have Bandol and Tavel rose' waiting and possibly one from southern France that may be past its prime. I also have some Muga Rosado from Spain to open this month.
User avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Posts

4352

Joined

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:18 pm

Location

Indiana

Re: Wine Focus for June: Bouquet of Rosés

by Mark Lipton » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:16 pm

2010 Edmunds St. John Bone-Jolly Gamay Rosé Witters Vyd was another example of my tendency toward oenogerontophilia. In other words, here's a wine that got lost in the cellar. :D Nevertheless, it showed its mettle by showing lots of strawberryish fruit with a healthy mineral streak. A bit faded from its former youthful exuberance, true, but still very fresh and light on the palate. It was really a treat with some leftover BBQ on a hot, late Spring evening.

Mark Lipton
User avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Posts

4352

Joined

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:18 pm

Location

Indiana

Re: Wine Focus for June: Bouquet of Rosés

by Mark Lipton » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:17 am

If a wine is fizzy, can it still be a rosé? If it is off-dry, does it still qualify? Who knows? Who cares?

We celebrated a few good professional developments tonight with a bottle of NV J.-P. Brun FRV100 which came out of the bottle -- to our surprise -- a dark pink color. At 7.5% ABV, it is quite refreshing on a hot pre-Summer's eve and has just enough acidity (and little enough RS) to go passingly well with our gluten-free pizza Margherita and salad. As evidenced by the packaging, this is not an overly serious wine or one which gives rise to overmuch contemplation, but as a simple quaffer it functions very well and leaves smiles on both our faces.
no avatar
User

Bill Morgan

Rank

Cellar rat

Posts

10

Joined

Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:29 pm

Location

Bloomington, Indiana

Love Drunk

by Bill Morgan » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:17 pm

I can't decide if I think the name sounds "fun" or "silly" The label turned me off, but they had it open at one of the liquor stores in town, so I gave it a try and came home with a bottle. Those sneaky sales people!

Love Drunk, 2011 by Mouton Noir in Dundee Oregon. No indication of the grapes on the bottle. The color is more salmon than pink-fairly light. Very crisp and acidic-almost like Sweet Tarts. Tart apple. I get a bit of watermelon, though Amy though I was making it up! Very refreshing and surprising. I wonder if there is a white grape lurking in here-it's so crisp and tart. I'm such a cheapskate that I rarely pay more than $15 for any wine, much less a rose, but at $16 this one made me take it home. It was nice with grilled white fish and mixed vegetables-even the asparagus. :)

PS-as it warms-not so nice. It's really the acidity that drives this wine.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Posts

6119

Joined

Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:23 pm

Location

Fayetteville, NC

Re: Wine Focus for June: Bouquet of Rosés

by JC (NC) » Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:03 pm

I tried a 2010 Loire rose' which appears to be over-the-hill. I poured it down the drain after one glass.
At lunch yesterday at a Gastro Pub in Durham, NC I had a glass of 2010 ALAIN COMBARD "ATMOSPHERE" ROSE' from Provence. Light salmon color with bubbles around the rim of the glass when poured. Hints of grapefruit, watermelon, unripe strawberries and Dr. Pepper. It went pleasantly enough with a Cobb salad but didn't wow me. I am hoping for more from the Bandol or Tavel coming up next. I also picked up a Chateau L'Oupia Minervois rose' while picking up two bottles of Bugey Cerdon at Cave Taureau in Durham. I will probably be retrieving the rose' thread in July and August as I continue to consume more rose' wine over the course of the summer.
User avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Posts

9669

Joined

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:09 pm

Re: Wine Focus for June: Bouquet of Rosés

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:08 am

I was fortunate to be able to assist at a downtown "Drink Pink" tasting at my fave wine store! 30 participants, $25 per head and 7 wines plus a mystery at the events conclusion

NV Bailly Lapierre Cremant de Bourgogne Brut Rosé was a very nice reception wine, blend of PN and Gamay. Nice soft mousse, strawberry, very small bubbles, light salmon pink.

2012 Domaine Houchart Rosé, Provence was WOTN for me. Cab, syrah, grenache....roses and strawberry aromatic nose. V gd length, minerally, thyme, lavender. Pale salmon color.

2011 Reserve des Vignerons Cabernet Rosé de Saumur, not up to the previous vintage. 100% Cab Franc, soft nose, bitter almond finish, not bad but lacks something.

2011 Il Feuduccio Cerasuolo Rosé, Abruzzi Italy, 100% Montepulciano, my bottle had a very funky nose, almost brett, other bottle poured was better on the nose. Tad more depth in color here, salt, briny, cherry. Good with salty seafood I think, polarising wine but was quite liked.

2012 Bodegas Sierra Norte Pasion de Bobal Rosé, Valencia. I like the red very much, this was very good. Complex, dry, aromatic, floral, rose petal, red berry, good finish/acidity. One does not see too much Bobal on its own but is used for blending everywhere. QPR!

2012 Baille-Grohman Blanc de Noir Rosé, Creston BC, a new name to me. 100% PN, quite red looking, jasmine berry nose. Dark extracted color, deck wine, juicy strawberry but not for me. $25, ouch. 5,000 case boutique winery.

2003 JM Fonseca DSF Moscatel Roxo. Always need a dessert wine eh. I have had my eye on this for over a year. $34 cdn, unique, light caramel on nose, fortified, delicious, sweet quality. Soft, elegant, 17.5% alc, try with a stinky blue cheese. Anyone tasted the 20 Year Old?

Mystery wine was the Mateus Rosé! Served as a joke naturally, just terrible.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Posts

6119

Joined

Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:23 pm

Location

Fayetteville, NC

Re: Wine Focus for June: Bouquet of Rosés

by JC (NC) » Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:01 pm

In my early twenties I used to drink Mateus rose'. The Houchart rose' from Provence is on the wine list at one of my favorite Raleigh restaurants and is sometimes included in wine dinners featuring Provencal dishes.
no avatar
User

Andrew Bair

Rank

Wine guru

Posts

929

Joined

Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:16 pm

Location

Massachusetts

Re: Wine Focus for June: Bouquet of Rosés

by Andrew Bair » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:06 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta wrote:I was fortunate to be able to assist at a downtown "Drink Pink" tasting at my fave wine store! 30 participants, $25 per head and 7 wines plus a mystery at the events conclusion

NV Bailly Lapierre Cremant de Bourgogne Brut Rosé was a very nice reception wine, blend of PN and Gamay. Nice soft mousse, strawberry, very small bubbles, light salmon pink.

2012 Domaine Houchart Rosé, Provence was WOTN for me. Cab, syrah, grenache....roses and strawberry aromatic nose. V gd length, minerally, thyme, lavender. Pale salmon color.

2011 Reserve des Vignerons Cabernet Rosé de Saumur, not up to the previous vintage. 100% Cab Franc, soft nose, bitter almond finish, not bad but lacks something.

2011 Il Feuduccio Cerasuolo Rosé, Abruzzi Italy, 100% Montepulciano, my bottle had a very funky nose, almost brett, other bottle poured was better on the nose. Tad more depth in color here, salt, briny, cherry. Good with salty seafood I think, polarising wine but was quite liked.

2012 Bodegas Sierra Norte Pasion de Bobal Rosé, Valencia. I like the red very much, this was very good. Complex, dry, aromatic, floral, rose petal, red berry, good finish/acidity. One does not see too much Bobal on its own but is used for blending everywhere. QPR!

2012 Baille-Grohman Blanc de Noir Rosé, Creston BC, a new name to me. 100% PN, quite red looking, jasmine berry nose. Dark extracted color, deck wine, juicy strawberry but not for me. $25, ouch. 5,000 case boutique winery.

2003 JM Fonseca DSF Moscatel Roxo. Always need a dessert wine eh. I have had my eye on this for over a year. $34 cdn, unique, light caramel on nose, fortified, delicious, sweet quality. Soft, elegant, 17.5% alc, try with a stinky blue cheese. Anyone tasted the 20 Year Old?

Mystery wine was the Mateus Rosé! Served as a joke naturally, just terrible.


Bob -

Thank you for the notes. I had a bottle of the 20 Year Old Roxo a few years ago, and it was impressive then. No idea when it had actually been bottled. Unfortunately, Roy Hersh mentioned a year or so ago that it is not being made anyone. Never tried the DSF bottling - glad to hear that you liked it.
User avatar
User

Kelly Young

Rank

Ultra geek

Posts

480

Joined

Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:37 pm

Location

Washington, DC

Re: Wine Focus for June: Bouquet of Rosés

by Kelly Young » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:24 pm

Image

I think it actually was the 2011 of the above.

Probably the most pricey Rose that I personally have had in the glass. That said the price was fully justified. Cool, persistent, delicious. It hinted at cool fruit juices (plum? watermelon? hipberry*?). Morelish but by no mean stupid. I could see having this in cool weather, though it was perfect on the mild night it was served.

*I just made that up. There is some fruit in there that I couldn't identify and I don't think actually exists.
User avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Posts

4150

Joined

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:16 pm

Location

Merrimack, New Hampshire

Re: Wine Focus for June: Bouquet of Rosés

by Paul Winalski » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:48 am

I'm fond of Bonny Doon's Vin Gris de Cigare.

-Paul W.
User avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Posts

3980

Joined

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:35 pm

Location

Lexington, Ky.

Re: Wine Focus for June: Bouquet of Rosés

by Bob Henrick » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:18 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:2010 Edmunds St. John Bone-Jolly Gamay Rosé Witters Vyd was another example of my tendency toward oenogerontophilia. In other words, here's a wine that got lost in the cellar. :D Nevertheless, it showed its mettle by showing lots of strawberryish fruit with a healthy mineral streak. A bit faded from its former youthful exuberance, true, but still very fresh and light on the palate. It was really a treat with some leftover BBQ on a hot, late Spring evening.

Mark Lipton



Mark, in 2010 I bought a case of Steve's 2007 Bone Jolly pink, and held my breath until it arrived and I could taste. I blew that case in about 2 months and wished I had bought tweo cases....if he had had that many. Wonderful wine at 3 vtgs older!
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Gary Kahle

Rank

Wine geek

Posts

81

Joined

Sun May 27, 2012 10:08 am

Location

Traverse City, MI

Re: Wine Focus for June: Bouquet of Rosés

by Gary Kahle » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:58 pm

After an extensive search for 2012 Pink Pegau I found some at PLCB store in Scranton. Who would of thought? Anyway, it was sorta worth the search and a pretty good Rose but I wouldn't include it in my top tier. It's pale peach, not much nose and decent flavors in the mouth. I would place it somewhere behind; Annibals, Bargemone, Villa des Anges and Lancyre. Don't expect to find it in MI, OH, KY, or CT (I looked).
Cheers, Gary
User avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Posts

3980

Joined

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:35 pm

Location

Lexington, Ky.

Re: Wine Focus for June: Bouquet of Rosés

by Bob Henrick » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:13 pm

Gary Kahle wrote:After an extensive search for 2012 Pink Pegau I found some at PLCB store in Scranton. Who would of thought? Anyway, it was sorta worth the search and a pretty good Rose but I wouldn't include it in my top tier. It's pale peach, not much nose and decent flavors in the mouth. I would place it somewhere behind; Annibals, Bargemone, Villa des Anges and Lancyre. Don't expect to find it in MI, OH, KY, or CT (I looked).
Cheers, Gary



When were you in Kentucky? And where?
Bob Henrick
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot] and 7 guests

Powered by phpBB ® | phpBB3 Style by KomiDesign