The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Wine tasting? Junk Science!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Wine tasting? Junk Science!

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:09 pm

Good read here, should get the juices flowing. :lol:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/ ... e-analysis

Mind you, I found some of the comments rather interesting, just scroll down.
no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:12 am

British Columbia

Re: Wine tasting? Junk Science!

by John S » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:28 pm

The article jumps all over the place, but I agree with the central premise of a lack of consistency among 'wine judges' or any other wine critic. Every bottle is different, and context matters. Not to mention that tasting 100 wines in an hour or two is not exactly conducive to exact responses...
no avatar
User

Clint Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:39 am

Seattle, WA

by Clint Hall » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:22 am

It's been no secret that the scores of the state fair type wine tastings are all over the board. But then the major wine tasters and wine publications are generally not terribly far apart, but that's just my impression and I have no data to support it. Has anyone done comparative statistical studies on the scores of, say, the WA and WS?
no avatar
User

Steve Slatcher

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:51 am

Manchester, England

by Steve Slatcher » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:05 pm

Clint Hall wrote:It's been no secret that the scores of the state fair type wine tastings are all over the board. But then the major wine tasters and wine publications are generally not terribly far apart, but that's just my impression and I have no data to support it. Has anyone done comparative statistical studies on the scores of, say, the WA and WS?

I know that Mr Parker is consistent in his score to within a few points. Not bad on the face of it, but not so impressive when you consider the narrow range of scores.

In WoFW, the scores of all the expert reviewers are published (same bottle and presumably good tasting conditions) and it is never difficult to spot wide divergence in scores and notes.