The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Summer sips

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

WTN: Summer sips

by Mark S » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:58 pm

Ah, Summer. That season of heat-bugs-and humidity, what's not to love? Except it plays havoc on what to drink in 90-degree heat and the lighter foods we tend to cook during the season. Some recent tipples:

Bloomer Creek Vineyard, White Horse red, Finger Lakes, 2008
A cheer-y red color. Savory nose of smoked meats and herbs. At 12% alcohol, not overdone at all and rather elegant, a wine of it's very much of it's place and something you would be hard pressed to find in California. No 'Cheval Blanc', this blend of cabernet franc and merlot at $22 won't fool anybody looking for the real white horse, yet this light-to-medium bodied wine is not bad at all, refreshing acidity with a finish of tobacco leaf and dried plum. B+

Clos Cibonne, Cotes de Provence, Tibouren Rosé, 2010
The basic rose from Cibonne. This has a very pale copper-sallow pink wash for a color. Lime rickey, herbal wash, stony finish. Decent, but I enjoy the Cuvée Spéciale des Vignettes better, which carries more gravitas and being (along with a heftier pricetag). If tasted blind from a black glass, I'd swear this was a refreshing Mediterranean white, rather than a rose. 13% B+

Jean-Paul Thevenet, Morgon, 'vieilles vignes', 2009
Slightly volatile upon opening. There is deep plum here, berry fruit, almost zinfandel-like but without the obvious jam. Feels simple, yet I feel will age well enough based on it's masculinity. B+

Peter Lauer, Ayler Kupp, Riesling, 'Fass 2', 2011
Bright acidity, hop wash, and linden with muscat-like aromas and flavors. Delicate in feel and very tactile on the finish. 13% alcohol does become noticeable after a glass, but this is quite good. B+/A-

Alice Bonaccorsi, Etna bianco, 'Val Cerasa', 2009
Brassy gold colored. Bitter almonds, pear, quince...slight Aqua Velva, with bracing acidity and cut. Mineral finish. Has the unique ability of smelling more substantial than it really is on the palate: the nose suggest southern Rhone but the palate delivers excellent Soave or verdicchio. All Carricante. 13% A-
no avatar
User

Andrew Bair

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:16 pm

Massachusetts

Re: WTN: Summer sips

by Andrew Bair » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:31 pm

Hi Mark -

Thank you for the interesting notes. I remember visiting Bloomer Creeks years back when I was still at Syracuse. They had a nice Gamay back then, but I don't recall trying any Cheval Blanc-inspired Bordeaux Blend there.

I've only tried the basic Clos Cibonne rose; never seen the Cuvée Spéciale. Based on your recommendation and the fact that I liked their standard wine, I'll definitely try it if I see it around here.

Finally, I've never seen the the Lauer Fass 2, which I believe is their Extra Trocken. The MA distributor for Lauer/vom Boden did not carry this wine in 2011. (One of our local stores, Vintages, was nice enough to give me a listing of the available Lauer 2011s last summer.) I'm glad that you enjoyed it, anyway. If Lars Carlberg is reading this, I'd be curious where in the Ayler Kupp this is sourced from, or if is a blend of grapes from different parcels across the 1971-defined vineyard.