Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Midsommer's Fete

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

Midsommer's Fete

by Christina Georgina » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:48 pm

A friend that lived briefly in Sweden hosted the event which she intends to make a yearly event. We all contributed a dish according to her suggestions. Aquavit tasted awfully good with the herring spread and eggs stuffed with shallots and chanterelle. A beet salad with horseradish dressing, steamed small Yukon Gold potatoes dressed with butter and fresh dill and roasted salmon with a mustard sauce followed. She fashioned a Stang [?sp] which we decorated with wildflowers from her yard and we planted it at waters edge. We sat by the bonfire sampling different Aquavit until the fired died...not enough for naked dancing but still a lovely evening
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: Midsommer's Fete

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:59 pm

Sounds like a very nice evening! The eggs stuffed with shallots and chantarelles sound particularly interesting.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:11 am

I should rustle up a bottle of Akvavit.

Unless you really really like caraway seeds, one of the best ways to drink it is icy cold like vodka...

Skål!! ("Skoal")

:D
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:47 pm

The hostess told me that eggs and mushroom dishes were common when she lived there so I sauteed a minced shallot, added some minced, rehydrated, dried chanterelle, and some cream and dijon mustard then cooked till thickened. Lots of minced fresh dill, salt and pepper to taste and the mashed egg yolks. They were very nice and no leftovers to carry home.
I've been reading Please To The Table, The Russian Cookbook by Anya von Bremzen that includes Baltic specialities. The egg idea came from there.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:18 pm

Christina Georgina wrote:The hostess told me that eggs and mushroom dishes were common when she lived there so I sauteed a minced shallot, added some minced, rehydrated, dried chanterelle, and some cream and dijon mustard then cooked till thickened. Lots of minced fresh dill, salt and pepper to taste and the mashed egg yolks. They were very nice and no leftovers to carry home.
I've been reading Please To The Table, The Russian Cookbook by Anya von Bremzen that includes Baltic specialities. The egg idea came from there.

I've made the stroganoff from Please To The Table - it's the best I've ever had. I'll have to try the egg dish.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child