The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Somm: The Movie

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Clint Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:39 am

Seattle, WA

Somm: The Movie

by Clint Hall » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:17 am

Went to see the documentary movie Somm tonight, the one about the four fellows who competed for the Master Sommelier title. Good movie, in its way. One feels for the somms. Despite the sometimes shaky hand-held camera, the photography was at times spectacular. Only six of the Master Somm aspirants were accepted, so the movie made the point that the program is highly selective and most of us mortals could never hope to pass it. But the whole excercise struck me as questionable. A great deal of of the applicants's time is spent in rote memorzation -- e.g., What are the seventeen signicant varietals of Hiccupistan -- which it seems to me would be more appropriate for the first two stages of the program than for the last. And then there's the critical tasting excercise, and in this one all the somms came to different conclusion about all the wines, with apparently as little consistency as in the state fair wine tastings we are now discussing in this forum. Anyhow, it's an enjyable move. Go see it.
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

Re: Somm: The Movie

by Jon Peterson » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:58 am

Having had some Somm training and an introductory certificate from the Guild of Master Sommeliers (the lowest level of certification BTW) and spending several evenings in two restaurants under the supervision of a Master Sommelier, I am very much looking forward to seeing this film. I'm glad to read your post.
no avatar
User

Joy Lindholm

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:41 am

Denver, CO

Re: Somm: The Movie

by Joy Lindholm » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:13 am

Clint Hall wrote:A great deal of of the applicants's time is spent in rote memorzation -- e.g., What are the seventeen signicant varietals of Hiccupistan -- which it seems to me would be more appropriate for the first two stages of the program than for the last.

I have also passed the first level of the Court of Master Sommeliers, and each level requires greater knowledge of theory regarding anything to do about wine. Whereas the first level questions are more to the level of "name the allowed grape varieties in Bordeaux", rather than the more obscure and difficult questions that progress with each level. I am also looking forward to seeing the film. Luckily it is on iTunes, as it is not playing in my city.