Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

A letter to Paula Deen

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

A letter to Paula Deen

by Jenise » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:21 pm

With thanks to Robin, who brought it to my attention. Fantastic stuff.

http://afroculinaria.com/2013/06/25/an-open-letter-to-paula-deen/
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: A letter to Paula Deen

by Robin Garr » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:26 pm

Well, I sure as heck thought I had posted it at the end of the other Deen thread. I don't see it now, though, so ... :oops:
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:03 pm

That sounds like a good place to be on September 7 for anyone interested in the real and total history of "Southern Cuisine".

Which, I suspect, will still mean largely Tidewater cookin', but we'll leave that one alone. Sounds like it'll be a great day for food and people.
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:24 pm

I read it, it's really good. Of course half way through I was thinking of Brazil nuts...
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:10 am

Frank Deis wrote:I read it, it's really good. Of course half way through I was thinking of Brazil nuts...

We had an interesting conversation with (conservative) friends the other night, one of whom said "If there's anyone in this room who has never used that word..." in a tone of voice which implied "of course, there won't be any", to which three or four of us instantly raised our hands. Then the old nursery rhyme came up, and I then had to admit to recalling saying it when I was maybe four or five but without having any idea what the 'N word' meant and which lasted only until my mother heard me and put an immediate end to it. Makes me wonder where in the heck I learned the rhyme?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:35 am

Frank Deis wrote:I read it, it's really good. Of course half way through I was thinking of Brazil nuts...

And narcissi? :wink:
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:06 pm

I started to snooze. He only said about 3 things. All the rest was chest thumping, IMO.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon