Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Things not going so well for Todd English

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Things not going so well for Todd English

by Jenise » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:53 pm

Per Eater.com:

Todd English's signature restaurant, Olives in Charlestown, Massachusetts, has been shuttered by its landlord because English supposedly owes about $780,000 in back rent and interest. All of the restaurant's assets — liquor license included — have been seized. According to Eater Boston, the restaurant shuttered late last week with a sign saying that the premises were "closed until further notice," and English's PR team sent an official statement later that day announcing that the restaurant had indeed closed but would "reopen at a new and shiny location" in the "greater Boston area." But English didn't really have a choice in the matter.

What the statement failed to mention, reports Universal Hub, is that "his landlord closed it for him, after convincing a judge last Fall to let him seize the restaurant and all its belongings." Last September, the owners of the building sued English for more than $780,000 in back rent and interest.

The Boston Globe has previously pointed out that English has "at least" six lawsuits filed against him, all related to "claims of unpaid bills and the closing of several restaurants." Which, Eater Boston notes, also includes the troubles currently affecting the chef's embattled Kingfish Hall restaurant in the Boston's Faneuil Hall Marketplace.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

Re: Things not going so well for Todd English

by Jon Peterson » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:56 am

My only experience with Todd English was in Las Vegas. I only remember negative things (like the terrible tuna tartar), nothing positive that would make me want to go back and try again.
If I recall correctly, landlord and tenant laws in MA are very favorable towards the tenant, forcing landlords to jump through many hoops, which is to say that since a judge was involved, I expect the landlord had an ironclad case against English.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: Things not going so well for Todd English

by Mike Filigenzi » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:28 am

My only experience with Todd English's empire was also in Vegas, but at his P.U.B. restaurant. I ate there by myself two nights in a row and enjoyed both meals. Does sound like he's made a mess of things, though.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child