Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

I Have Garlic!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

I Have Garlic!

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:35 pm

Very late summer, last year, I planted a big pot full of Christopher Ranch garlic cloves. A couple of months ago, I dug one up and it had formed a round ball but no cloves. I stopped watering. A month ago, I pulled two, still just a round ball...I threw the two I pulled in the garden bed and just let them stay there. I checked this morning, and those two had cloves, so I pulled the rest from the pot, all had cloves. So, here are my babies, smaller than Christopher Ranch's (next year I will remember to give them fertilizer) but garlic, still. So tonight I am roasting some cloves, skin intact, with rosemary potatoes....can't wait to squeeze them out and taste.
So. here they are, dirt and all.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

Re: I Have Garlic!

by Lou Kessler » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:50 pm

The coven of vampires have left Redding. :wink:
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:44 pm

I just dug up half a dozen myself, this afternoon; they're drying on the picnic table outside. My first try at growing garlic.
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:57 pm

John Treder wrote:I just dug up half a dozen myself, this afternoon; they're drying on the picnic table outside. My first try at growing garlic.

Have you a picture? What was your experience to get them to form cloves?
no avatar
User

GeoCWeyer

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:24 pm

WoodburyMN

by GeoCWeyer » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:36 am

Maybe I am wrong but I always have felt that the flavor from using fresh garlic while intense is more mellow that using the older garlic heads found in stores.
I love the life I live and live the life I love*, and as Mark Twain said, " Always do well it will gratify the few and astonish the rest".

*old blues refrain
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:26 am

Karen do you leave them in the ground until the greens die back?
I have recently started growing garlic and I understand that is when to harvest them, then let the whole plant dry a little and
then I plaited them and hung them in the kitchen.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:07 am

Yes, I was told to stop watering when most of the greens die back. At that point, they had not formed cloves. They got really dry, and the stems dried up and most fell off. Did you hang yours before they formed?
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:19 pm

Maybe I'll take a shot later.
I didn't do anything - I stuck the cloves in the ground last fall. They sprouted over the winter, and this spring I put a drip line through them when I set up my drip system. I dug them up because all the stems had fallen over after the very hot weather last week, and I figured there was no percentage in leaving them in the ground. They do have cloves, though. They're much bigger heads than I expected.
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:01 pm

Here's my garlic this morning. I kept searching all around the house for round tuits and finally found one. 8)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Mark Willstatter

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:20 pm

Puget Sound

by Mark Willstatter » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:27 pm

Looks good, John. It looks like you hit harvest time about right, the standard advice for most varieties being to harvest when 1/2 - 2/3 of the leaves are brown. FWIW, conventional wisdom has it that the drying/curing should take place in the shade. I'm not sure exactly what the effects of sun tastes like but understand direct sun can burn/cook the bulbs. If it's just a little morning sun you might get away with it but if you have a place in the shade it would be better.
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:49 pm

Thanks, Mark! I can find a shady place.
John in the wine county