Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Wine flavored popcorn?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

JuliaB

Rank

Woman of Mystery

Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:44 pm

Ohio

Wine flavored popcorn?

by JuliaB » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:39 pm

no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: Wine flavored popcorn?

by Mike Filigenzi » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:31 am

Pinot and chocolate?!
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:49 pm

How odd. The description says "wine soaked", but the Kim Crawford rep merely describes something 'flavored'. I'm wondering if it's just seasoning, like BBQ or Sour Cream and Onion.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

JuliaB

Rank

Woman of Mystery

Ohio

by JuliaB » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:23 pm

I wondered about that, too, Jenise! I hate soggy popcorn, so is it really "wine soaked"?
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:59 am

I'd bet that you're correct, Jenise. It must be some sort of powder that has a vaguely wine-related flavor to it. Heck, if they can make "Cajun Squirrel" flavoring for potato chips, they can make anything.

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:06 pm

Northerm NJ, USA

by Tom NJ » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:10 am

Maybe they soaked the unpopped kernels...?
"He ordered as one to the Menu born...."
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:50 am

The website says it is a "candied popcorn" so the flavor is in the coating:
http://www.populencenyc.com/flavors/sauvignon-blanc-kettle.html
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:59 pm

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:The website says it is a "candied popcorn" so the flavor is in the coating:

Ah! The Cracker Jack technique.

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:48 pm

Gack!

Don't like cheese popcorn (not least because it is usually accomplished with powdered orange 'cheese food'). Don't like anything sweet with popcorn. Only adulterant I can tolerate in popcorn is garlic, and I wouldn't have believed it until I crushed a clove into the melted butter we poured over the popcorn - delightful!
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:57 pm

Mike Filigenzi wrote:I'd bet that you're correct, Jenise. It must be some sort of powder that has a vaguely wine-related flavor to it. Heck, if they can make "Cajun Squirrel" flavoring for potato chips, they can make anything.

Hey Mike, what the hell does a Cajun squirrel look like? Of course more important what do they taste like? Chicken :wink: :wink:
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:48 pm

Lou Kessler wrote:
Mike Filigenzi wrote:I'd bet that you're correct, Jenise. It must be some sort of powder that has a vaguely wine-related flavor to it. Heck, if they can make "Cajun Squirrel" flavoring for potato chips, they can make anything.

Hey Mike, what the hell does a Cajun squirrel look like? Of course more important what do they taste like? Chicken :wink: :wink:

Well, in a potato chip, they taste a little like barbecue flavor chips. They're made (or at least were made) by Walker's, in England. I'm not sure where they came up with the flavor profile, but I'm glad I wasn't involved in that research!

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

JuliaB

Rank

Woman of Mystery

Ohio

by JuliaB » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:49 pm

Mike Filigenzi wrote:
Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:The website says it is a "candied popcorn" so the flavor is in the coating:

Ah! The Cracker Jack technique.

That's it!
Thanks, but, no thanks.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:04 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:Gack!

Don't like cheese popcorn (not least because it is usually accomplished with powdered orange 'cheese food'). Don't like anything sweet with popcorn. Only adulterant I can tolerate in popcorn is garlic, and I wouldn't have believed it until I crushed a clove into the melted butter we poured over the popcorn - delightful!

I'm a purist tool. Love plain butter, why would I need anything else? (Adding garlic wouldn't offend me, but it wouldn't improve my experience.) But in the past couple years I've become a fan of truffle oil and herbs d'Provence.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:05 pm

JuliaB wrote:Thanks, but, no thanks.

Me too!
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:21 pm

Jenise wrote:
Bill Spohn wrote:Gack!

I'm a purist tool. Love plain butter, why would I need anything else? (Adding garlic wouldn't offend me, but it wouldn't improve my experience.) But in the past couple years I've become a fan of truffle oil and herbs d'Provence.

Yes to the herbs, forgot about them and we do use them. Truffle oil - meh. If you knew what it was you might not be so keen on it. It has zero truffle content. It is (quoting Wiki), thioether (2,4-dithiapentane), in an oil base.

"Thioether is a carbon-sulphur-carbon-sulphur-carbon chain that you get when combining a cabbage-smelling thiol compound with formaldehyde. The thiol compound most commonly used in this chemical reaction can also be found in bad breath and flatulence."

Hmmm......pass!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:41 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:Yes to the herbs, forgot about them and we do use them. Truffle oil - meh. If you knew what it was you might not be so keen on it. It has zero truffle content. It is (quoting Wiki), thioether (2,4-dithiapentane), in an oil base.

Sure, the marketplace is full of fake truffle oil. But there is such a thing as REAL truffle oil, Bill, and I've got the real thing. It's GOOD.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:59 pm

Jenise wrote:
Bill Spohn wrote:Yes to the herbs, forgot about them and we do use them. Truffle oil - meh. If you knew what it was you might not be so keen on it. It has zero truffle content. It is (quoting Wiki), thioether (2,4-dithiapentane), in an oil base.

Sure, the marketplace is full of fake truffle oil. But there is such a thing as REAL truffle oil, Bill, and I've got the real thing. It's GOOD.

Are you sure?

Read a site like this carefully and they don't come out and state that they use synthetic flavouring nor do they say it is real.

http://degredient.com/products

There is only one producer in the US - using Oregon truffles - and the price is about $6 per ounce. http://www.oregontruffleoil.com/
Is that what you use?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:01 pm

No, mine came from Italy and has pieces of actual truffle floating in the bottle, that's why I'm sure it's the real thing.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:19 pm

Jenise wrote:No, mine came from Italy and has pieces of actual truffle floating in the bottle, that's why I'm sure it's the real thing.

Is that like the rubber worm in the Mezcal bottle.....? :mrgreen:

I'd have assumed you had some of the real stuff. What was the cost - it seems to be around $30 an ounce and sold in small bottles - 2 - 4 oz. for the Italian sort.

This makes an interesting read: http://tablematters.com/2013/02/21/my-t ... uffle-oil/
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:51 pm

Good NY Times article on truffle oil

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/16/dinin ... d=all&_r=0

To be fair, many people seem to like the artificial oils, and there is nothing wrong with that. My distaste for them stems from the over use of them more than from any basic antipathy to the flavour. As the article above says:

"And Americans, as many were quick to note, like big flavors. “People expect the slap in the face of truffle oil,” said Jonathan Gold, the restaurant critic for LA Weekly. “They have lost their taste for subtlety; they want bigger than life flavors that are amped up with aromatics. That’s American cooking at the moment.” Many chefs are turning to truffle oil as a way to get truffle aromas that, as many chefs put it, “jump off the plate”

Reminds one of popular tastes in American (and Australian) wines, too.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:42 pm

Jenise wrote:No, mine came from Italy and has pieces of actual truffle floating in the bottle, that's why I'm sure it's the real thing.

How long does that last Jenise?
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:01 pm

I'm with you, Bill: I'm so sensitive to truffle oil that I find it quite offputting, though in fairness I'd give Jenise's oil a try before condemning it (disclaimer: I'd probably try anything prepared by Jenise). I also find myself now quite sensitive to herbs, so I also shy away from anything with rosemary, dill or more than a smidgen of oregano in it. Thyme, sage, basil and tarragon are still OK for me.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:18 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:(disclaimer: I'd probably try anything prepared by Jenise).
Mark Lipton

Me too. I'm skeptical about any truffle oil because the vast majority are fakes and many that aren't are no good anyway (very hard to preserve the truffle taste/smell in oil - it fades quickly apparently). The fact that hers has a piece of alleged truffle floating in it means absolutely zip - many are faked that way, with real bits or fake bits (of something else). I find it is a product to stay away from. If you want truffle, buy a truffle.

Treat claims about truffle oils like you would claims from Ebay sellers from China and you won't go far wrong!
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:16 pm

Just bought some truffle salt. I see truffle crumbs in the jar so there's hope.
Next