Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Wine of choice?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

Wine of choice?

by Larry Greenly » Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:25 am

In general, and if the quality of the following wines are identical, which one would you choose for dishes that use red wine, such as boeuf borguignonne or a pot roast, etc.? Why?

Merlot
Pinot Noir
Cabernet Sauvignon
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

Re: Wine of choice?

by Randy Buckner » Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:46 am

Carole makes Boeuf Bourguignonne frequently. She uses whatever red happens to be open. I can't see where the quality of the dish is improved with one wine over the other. I guess purists would use Pinot Noir.
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:08 am

There's not enough info in your question for me to make an informed decision.

It would depend upon the flavor profiles of the wines - personally, whichever had the least amount of oak would probably get a leg up.

Now if you come back and tell me that the wines all have the exact same oak treatment, I'd probably just pick the cheapest one.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:14 am

Larry Greenly wrote:In general, and if the quality of the following wines are identical, which one would you choose for dishes that use red wine, such as boeuf borguignonne or a pot roast, etc.? Why?

Merlot
Pinot Noir
Cabernet Sauvignon

I'm pretty much on board with everyone else, Larry. I wouldn't cook with a wine too unpalatable to drink, but I wouldn't waste an expensive wine as a cooking medium. I don't think the variety matters much, although I'd shy away from an overtly oaky wine for fear it might communicate those flavors to the sauce.

Speaking intuitively, I'm also thinking that the more acidic wine might make the best cooking medium just as it's likely to make the best food companion.

And while it's a little silly, maybe, I do enjoy using the wine of the country to make an ethnic dish, so mark me down with a slight preference for Pinot Noir - maybe a cheap but drinkable generic Bourgogne? - for <i>boeuf bourguignonne</i>.
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:12 pm

Robin Garr wrote:And while it's a little silly, maybe, I do enjoy using the wine of the country to make an ethnic dish, so mark me down with a slight preference for Pinot Noir - maybe a cheap but drinkable generic Bourgogne? - for <i>boeuf bourguignonne</i>.

OK, French wine with a French dish ... but what about the beef? French, too?

And now what?
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:05 pm

... but what about the beef? French, too?

That looks just like Robin's old girlfriend.... same damned glasses -- udderly ridiculous.
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:12 pm

Randy Buckner wrote:
... but what about the beef? French, too?

That looks just like Robin's old girlfriend.... same damned glasses -- udderly ridiculous.

I believe this particular species is referred to as a French Moodle.
And now what?
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:41 pm

In general I tend to look for inexpensive, not flabby or oaky, dry, good fruit wines. Which means I tend to use Cotes du Rhone, Spanish wines like basic Borsao, or Zins like Pepperwood Grove or Cline.

I'm pretty much set on Burgundy/Pinot Noir for Beef Bourguignon, and use sometime like a Langhe or Colli Nov. Nebbiolo for beef al Barolo. I tend to find a synergy (hey, there's a fad word that has faded quickly) between the wine I serve and the dish if I use a cheap Bourgogne for the dish and maybe a 1er cru as accompaniment that might be all in my head, but if it makes me happy.......
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:48 pm

I tend to reach for a Cotes du Rhones when cooking. It makes an undetectable stand-in for pinot noir, and it can be generally counted on to be medium bodied, less tannic, and never goopy with fruit and sweetness, nor overextracted and oaky. I also like it for it's softer color--put a real purple cabernet or extracted shiraz in a dish, and you'll end up with unappealing, black food.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:50 pm

I was told once by a wine maker...don't cook with a wine you wouldn't serve at the dinner table.

I have tried to live by that advice as much as I can.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:55 pm

Cote du Rhone, usually. Otherwise Pinot Noir.

Wines that we would like to drink with the dish. We tend to add the wine during the last 15 minutes of cooking.

Exception: a wine reduction -- served on the side. Then Cabs, Zins and Pinot Noir seem to work best.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:25 pm

TimMc wrote:I was told once by a wine maker...don't cook with a wine you wouldn't serve at the dinner table.

That's good advice, Tim. Of course, it doesn't mean pour Chateau Margaux into the stew, but certainly corked, oxidized, or just bad tasting wines aren't going to make your food taste good.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:15 pm

Agree with Bucko and Dale. Use whatever is open or go cheep. The same type of wine you are going to drink with it is also a good idea as expressed by others here. Type not brand. We have been making a couple of Boeuf Bourguignonnes to bring to pot lucks lately, and have used both Pepperwood Grove and Rex Goliath Pinots. Both worked just fine thank you.