The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN:89 Jaboulet Gigondas, 94 Michelton, 95 Moulin St. George

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

WTN:89 Jaboulet Gigondas, 94 Michelton, 95 Moulin St. George

by Bill Spohn » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:44 pm

Some miscellaneous notes from the past couple of days.

A friend came over to sit in the garden with us and he brought a bottle, blind, so I opened one as well. The first one I opened was a 1975 Ch. Nenin - sadly, this Pomerol was well over the hill and went straight into the marinating supply.

My friend's bottle:

1989 Jaboulet Gigondas Pierre Aiguille - a single bottle tossed into a case lot of other things my friend had bought, and worth a taste. Quite a decent nose, mostly floral and some fruit, and hints of smoke and spice, and on palate it was middle weight and elegant, and fell apart after 15 minutes. That's OK- many wines don't even get 15 interesting minutes. Fun to try.

My wine:

1995 Moulin St. Georges St. Emilion - good colour, and excellent raspberry nose with vanilla. Ripe and smooth, and with still a fair bit of soft tannin. I don't think the balance of the wine merits any longer hold - the tannins will abate but so will the fruit. Now and for the next few years.

Tonight:

1994 Michelton Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve (Victoria) - I can't remember ow, but I must have either read something good about this wine or had the chance to taste it on release and figured that at the price of all of $14 (reduced from $20) at the time, it had a future. I waited another decade, sampling as I went, before things looked up and the wine mellowed out. It is now at a very nice stage, with an un-Oz-like decent cabernet nnose, still good colour, (finally!) softened tannins and very decent presentation on palate. Worth waiting for at that price.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN:89 Jaboulet Gigondas, 94 Michelton, 95 Moulin St. George

by David M. Bueker » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:10 am

I have enjoyed several vintages of Moulin St. Georges, but no longer see it around. It used to be relatively classic in style. I wonder if that is still the case.
Decisions are made by those who show up