The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Recent notes

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

WTN: Recent notes

by Florida Jim » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:00 pm

1999 Hirtzberger, Riesling Singerriedel:
Either this wine is starting to fall apart or this is not a representative bottle; I will assume the latter. Not bad or unpleasant but disjointed and without focus or sustain. Poor showing.

2012 Grassi, Ribolla Gialla:
Impressive! Not fermented on the skins but not thin or shrill either, this is perfectly balanced, pure and absolutely representative of the grape. My new benchmark for this grape’s aromatic and flavor profile. Sourced from the Vare Vineyard in Napa Valley, weighs in at about 12.5% abv and drinks like cool spring water. Just lovely.

2011 Clos de la Roilette, Fleurie:
Smells like smoke taint or wood char; it’s thin, seems like there was too much whole-cluster in the ferment, and, its short. Not terrible but nothing I want another glass of.
Better on day two but still char on the nose and a gritty texture.

2010 Chateau de Maligny, Chablis VV:
Has a twang on both the nose and palate but is otherwise quintessential Chablis; mineral, lemon drop goodness that is deft and focused; a wine of finesse. Not profound but Chardonnay, done right.

2005 Baudry, Chinon La Croix Boissée:
Green on the nose and overly tannic in the mouth; has promise but it is angry and unbalanced now.
Better on day two but still fiercely tannic and decidedly herbal.

2009 Calluna, Merlot Aux Raynauds:
It gains elegance and integration each time I have this wine; a beautiful, restrained and balanced version of how good this variety can be; and very seldom, is. As good as any right bank Bordeaux; better than most.

Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: WTN: Recent notes

by Dale Williams » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:04 pm

Thanks for the notes. Sounds very different than my impression of the '11 Coudert.
I liked the 05 Grezeaux more than the Croix Boisee, but that sounds more shut down than anything now.
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

Re: WTN: Recent notes

by Lou Kessler » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:45 pm

Florida Jim wrote:1999 Hirtzberger, Riesling Singerriedel:
Either this wine is starting to fall apart or this is not a representative bottle; I will assume the latter. Not bad or unpleasant but disjointed and without focus or sustain. Poor showing.

2012 Grassi, Ribolla Gialla:
Impressive! Not fermented on the skins but not thin or shrill either, this is perfectly balanced, pure and absolutely representative of the grape. My new benchmark for this grape’s aromatic and flavor profile. Sourced from the Vare Vineyard in Napa Valley, weighs in at about 12.5% abv and drinks like cool spring water. Just lovely.

2011 Clos de la Roilette, Fleurie:
Smells like smoke taint or wood char; it’s thin, seems like there was too much whole-cluster in the ferment, and, its short. Not terrible but nothing I want another glass of.
Better on day two but still char on the nose and a gritty texture.

2010 Chateau de Maligny, Chablis VV:
Has a twang on both the nose and palate but is otherwise quintessential Chablis; mineral, lemon drop goodness that is deft and focused; a wine of finesse. Not profound but Chardonnay, done right.

2005 Baudry, Chinon La Croix Boissée:
Green on the nose and overly tannic in the mouth; has promise but it is angry and unbalanced now.
Better on day two but still fiercely tannic and decidedly herbal.

2009 Calluna, Merlot Aux Raynauds:
It gains elegance and integration each time I have this wine; a beautiful, restrained and balanced version of how good this variety can be; and very seldom, is. As good as any right bank Bordeaux; better than most.

Best, Jim

Coincidence had the 99 Hirtzberger a few weeks ago, I wish I was falling apart at the rate of that wine. Bad storage or bad bottle?