Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Parsley

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

Parsley

by Christina Georgina » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:30 pm

I often forget about it as a main ingredient but I wanted to seriously thin my three plants because they were shading some other herbs so I made a batch of tabbouleh, a batch of prezzemolo and chimichurri. It's a wonderful green. How do you use it as a main ingredient ?
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Re: Parsley

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:13 pm

I have six parsley plants but they struggle in the summer...too hot for them and I have them planted where they get mostly shade. I use my Italian Flat Leaf Parsley in salads, soups, pasta, sandwich mixes like tuna salad. I also use parsley in pesto such as cilantro, parsley, lemon and macadamia nut pesto. You can mix parsley, cilantro, jalapeño, lime to mix into Mexican rice. I love it in scrambled eggs with swiss cheese, on veggies, in dips.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:23 pm

Christina Georgina wrote:I often forget about it as a main ingredient but I wanted to seriously thin my three plants because they were shading some other herbs so I made a batch of tabbouleh, a batch of prezzemolo and chimichurri. It's a wonderful green. How do you use it as a main ingredient ?

What is prezzemolo (yes, I googled but only got translation to parsley)?
Tabbouli is my first thought, but yours too! :(
If you eat meat, a persillade coating is probably my favorite lamb prep.
Gremolata uses a lot of parsley. Betsy has also done a bollito misto with a gremolata style stir-in (but more parsley, less garlic than gremolata)
I think the green ice cubes in our freezer was Betsy's answer to too much parsley.
We mostly do Italian(flat), but this year I bought one curly (because it was all nursery had). Any (non-1970s garnish) suggestions on what is better using curly?
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:25 pm

It's pretty versatile so when I had lots of parsley I would just puree it with whatever I felt like (nuts, citruses, vegetables, etc) to make various sauces. It can go all kinds of ways depending on mood, what you have on hand, relevant dishes, etc. (Although perhaps your reason for asking is to take our mood on the question!)
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

by Christina Georgina » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:39 pm

Rahsaan, yes, it is interesting how parsley in America has moved from being limited to a curly little blob for decor to the flavorful, large, Italian flat leaf variety that is available in most groceries even in the heart of the Midwest. Thirty years ago I had to plant it in my own garden in the summer. Now, it is available all year in the stores.
I have been negligent in making full use of it and am curious about what other uses, other than as a seasoning ingredient it is being used.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

by Christina Georgina » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:45 pm

Prezzemolo pesto is made with parsley, garlic, anchovies, capers and olive oil. A spectacular condiment with many uses. I've used it on pasta, gnocchi, deviled eggs, grilled vegetables-especially eggplant, roasted red peppers. A spoonful by itself isn't too bad either :)
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:51 pm

I rarely use parsley as a main ingredient, but it's a staple of sauce and soup preparation. I use the Italian flat-leaf variety exclusively, but use quite a bit of it in cooking.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:18 pm

You can make a lot ot pestos with other than basil.

I do one with marjoram and walnuts instead of basil and pine nuts and it is excellent (if I do say so myself).
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:29 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:You can make a lot ot pestos with other than basil.

I do one with marjoram and walnuts instead of basil and pine nuts and it is excellent (if I do say so myself).

And cilantro pesto is great, with parsley, lime and macadamia nuts. You do not have to use evoo either, try walnut oil, or almond, hazelnut, with a little evoo. Buy good quality nut oils, they must have a strong nut smell. I prefer La Tourangelle made right here is CA. It is excellent.