The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Forlorn Hope, Pinot, and Corison (Acappella)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

WTN: Forlorn Hope, Pinot, and Corison (Acappella)

by Brian K Miller » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:51 am

Some brief notes.

2006 Forlorn Hope Petit Verdot. Suisun Valley. This was in a very nice place. Purple color, Great acidity and tannins. Earth, licorice/anise, black fruit. A savory/funky note that I really enjoyed. Soft black fruit with a deliciously smooth mouth feel. This may be my last bottle :( but I do have a 2007.

2009 Vellum Napa Valley Black (Petit Verdot and Merlot). A very nice wine project from a pair of enthusiastic newcomers. Dark, tannic, delicious. I like what these guys are trying to do, but this is the first Vellum wine where I think they seriously nail it!

2000 ACAPPELLA (Corison) Kronos Vineyard Petit Sirah. Huge wine...not in alcohol, but just big blueberry flavors, with that delicious herbal and meaty edge I love in good Petit Sirah. Earth, still some tannins. Tastes amazingly fresh and lively...not like a 13 year old wine. Took a little time to open up.

Kronos Vineyard was actually originally planted to Petit Sirah before Cathy budded it over. A few vines did not "take" and she made delicious Petit Sirah for a few (a couple???) of years. Theyawere already sold out of the 2001, so I nabbed this one. Yum!

Gracianna Winery Bacigalupi Vineyard Pinot Noir 2009. Nice fruit-forward Russian River Valley Pinot. Bold black cherry cola fruit.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach