The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Bastille Day etc- Juge and Clisson rock, others vary

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Bastille Day etc- Juge and Clisson rock, others vary

by Dale Williams » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:28 pm

Wednesday was outdoor concert, I made mejillones escabechados (marinated mussels) and cold pheasant salad. Wines included

2012 Rimbert “Petit Cochon Bronze” rose
Darker than I remember previous vintages, a simple strawberry meets maraschino cherry pink. B-

2004 Blain-Gagnard “ La Boudriotte” Chassagne-Montrachet 1er
Warm picnic probably not best place to show a big whte Burg to best advantage. Pear, a bit of lemon, some background oak, seems slightly fatter/flatter than recent bottles, maybe just the heat. No oxidation. B

2009 Domaine des Coutures Saumur Champigny
New producer to me (though I have bought couple bottles in same sale as Fred). Medium body, lovely black cherry and raspberry fruit, light tannin, nice bottle to drink with a little chill. B+/B

2011 Frank Nappa “Anomaly” (North Fork, Long Island)
White from Pinot Noir, surprised that I find I like it, white cherries and apple, moderate acids. B

2010 Domaine du Petit Clos Bourgueil
Green, acidic, short. C

Thursday Betsy and I went to the Tarry Tavern, I had marrow bone and branzino, she had chicken mousse and scallops. We had a couple of quartinos (vintage not specifiec)

Bousquet Rose (Mendoza)
Simple, sweet, sucky. C

Stoneleigh Sauvignon Blanc (Marlborough)
Grapefruit and grass, thin, but at least typical (of overcropped SB). B-

Friday I was alone with some pork roast and the 2009 Joguet “Cuvee de la Cure” Chinon. No apparent oak, black raspberry and green tobacco leaf, damp earth. Showing quite well. B+

Saturday night I went to a pre-Bastille Day party by a couple of French friends. Canapes of chicken liver and duck proscuitto, then a shot of cold canteloupe soup with Muscat. Firsr sitdown course was tuna carpaccio, then we had cold leg of lamb and a summer vegetable assortment, followed by 7 French cheeses and dessert. All French wines of course:

Delacroix Blanc de Blancs
Very light, appley, good thirst quencher on a warm night. B-/C+

2012 Chidaine Touraine Rose
Crisp, dry with sweet strawberry fruit, some minerally notes. B+/B

2010 Chateau d'Oupia Minervois
Very good QPR. Juicy, fruity, with soil and ferric notes. Modest tannins, good length. B+/B

2002 Chateau Gillet Bordeaux

Big for Bdx AC, a bit clunky, still a bit of tannin. B-

2000 Juge ‘Cuvee C” Cornas
This was another bottle “oh I still have this” unearthed when I had to move boxes for flood cleanup. I think C is Juge’s drink young bottling, but this has done very well. Dark rich berry fruit, earth, herbs. Totally vibrant, tannins resolved, drinking very well. A-

1978 Ch. Beychevelle (St Julien)
This didn’t actually make it to dinner, as I went to double-decant cork slipped into bottle, while color was good I thought the wine seemed thin and advanced. Decided to go backup bottle (Meyney). Retasted when I got home it was (just drinkable), but I think this saw warm storage, into vinegar crock. This compromised bottle, C/C+

1988 Ch. Meyney
About what one would expect- old school Bdx with still some slightly tough tannin. Modest black fruits, pencil lead, leather. B/B+

2005 Baumard "Carte d’Or” Coteaux du Layon
Apples, apricots, spice, a bit short and needs more zip. B-/C+

Sunday was pasta with clams and garlic chives, and the 2010 Pepiere/Ollivier “Clisson” Muscadet. Full, ripe, vibrant, long. This can age I’d guess, but awfully tasty now. A-

Monday with grilled tofu and squash, plus caprese salad, the 2012 Sobreira Albarino (Rías Baixas). Light to medium bodied, floral, medium acids, easygoing. B/B-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

Clint Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:39 am

Seattle, WA

Re: WTN: Bastille Day etc- Juge and Clisson rock, others vary

by Clint Hall » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:31 am

Dale, you betcha the Pepiere Clisson "can age." I've never had a young one, but the oldies are beautiful.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:20 am

Clint Hall wrote:Dale, you betcha the Pepiere Clisson "can age." I've never had a young one, but the oldies are beautiful.

How old? I thought they only started making it in the 2000s?
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:40 am

Rahsaan wrote:How old? I thought they only started making it in the 2000s?

I thought that I had tasted each Clisson release. The oldest Clisson in my notes is 2005. Perhaps Clint is thinking of Briords.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:02 am

Sam Platt wrote:
Rahsaan wrote:How old? I thought they only started making it in the 2000s?

I thought that I had tasted each Clisson release. The oldest Clisson in my notes is 2005. Perhaps Clint is thinking of Briords.

You're right, Sam. (Granite de) Clisson debuted with the '05 vintage. I've had the '05, '07 and '10 now, but they're just too tasty for me to age very long.

Mark Lipton
Last edited by Mark Lipton on Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Clint Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:39 am

Seattle, WA

by Clint Hall » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:01 pm

I stand corrected, I think. Checking my cellar, I see my only Pepiere Clisson is a case of the 2005, which is loaded with promise but I believe nowhere ready to drink. I buy Pepiere Briords every year, and most years they have the potential to grow into lovely old wines, but my problem with them is they are also delicious young and middle aged, so few make it that far. Other Muscadets in the cellar that are drinking well now but promise more pleasure for the future include 2002 Pierre Luneau-Papin Excelsior and, especially, 2002 Le Clos du Chateau L'Oiselinere.
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:44 pm

Clint Hall wrote:I see my only Pepiere Clisson is a case of the 2005, which is loaded with promise but I believe nowhere ready to drink.

Mark and I share the same problem - lack of patience with tasty Muscadet. My small stash of '05 Granite de Clisson did not live to see the sun come up on New Years Day of 2009 IIRC. I didn't consider it infanticide at the time, but maybe in retrospect...
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins