Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Indigo Rose Tomato

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

Indigo Rose Tomato

by Christina Georgina » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:29 am

I planted one last year. The most beautiful orbs in the garden. Large grape like clusters. Eggplant purple ripening to a reddish brown on the underside with almost black shoulders. In my garden it was prettier to look at than to eat. I found the skin tough and the pulp bland. I did not grow it this year and am open to the possibility that the taste was less than stellar because of my conditions. It was stunning sliced horizontally on a platter of mixed color tomatoes but added nothing in taste.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: Indigo Rose Tomato

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:15 am

Christina, I have not grown them but a lot of the chatter on various gardening sites is that Indigo Rose takes a long time to ripen. The breeders (OSU) claim the earliest harvest date is 91 days after transplanting. One enthusiast said she picked a fruit in August which was bland so she left the rest on the vine till mid-October and they were much better. Apparently, patience is required for this one.

Breeder page:
http://extension.oregonstate.edu/gardening/purple-tomato-debuts-%E2%80%98indigo-rose%E2%80%99
Gardening chat, e.g.:
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/tomato/msg0322301318384.html
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:41 am

FWIW, Jo Ann posted a pic of her Indigo Rose a few days ago in the "What's Cooking" thread.
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:47 pm

The one and only time I had that tomato, I found them on Salt Spring Island (B.C.) last summer. I liked them quite a bit, but I liked the flavor best when they were oranger--when they sat around the house for a few days and the "butt" as I called it got redder, they lost flavor fast. Here's the pic I took of what I had:

http://www.wineloverspage.com/forum/village/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44722&p=366055&hilit=Indigo+Rose#p365775
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:07 pm

Indigo Rose now ripe and ready for the table. Will report back on flavor.

P1010316 (800x601).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:24 pm

Those look good. How long has the growing season been? (Are they ahead or behind other tomatoes in your garden?)
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:03 pm

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:Those look good. How long has the growing season been? (Are they ahead or behind other tomatoes in your garden?)

They are behind other tomatoes for ripening. They were the first to set fruit, but the last to ripen, and only half of those on the vine are ripe enough to eat. I planted them in May from already establish, gallon sized plants. They take a good 85-90 days for fruiting and ripening. They look a great deal like plums. Can't wait to taste one. I'll report back.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon