Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.
User

Yehoshua Werth

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 19, 2011 3:29 pm

Monsey, New York USA

Sunday July 21th 2013 River Wine Event

by Yehoshua Werth » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:54 pm

Last edited by Yehoshua Werth on Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yehoshua Werth, Manager
The GrapeVine Wines & Spirits
Monsey, NY USA
http://www.youtube.com/TheGrapevineWines
User

David Raccah

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:18 am

Bay Area, CA

Re: Sunday July 25th 2013 River Wine Event

by David Raccah » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:57 pm

Dude it is the 21st! please change title!
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
no avatar
User

Moshe F

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:17 pm

Queens, NY

by Moshe F » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:31 pm

Anyone have a lineup for the wines for the regulars and VIPs for this event?
no avatar
User

Yossie Horwitz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:27 pm

NYC

by Yossie Horwitz » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:39 pm

There are links to both lists on my website: http://www.yossiescorkboard.com/?page_id=875
Sign up for my weekly newsletter on wines, wineries & other oenophilic goodies at http://www.yossiescorkboard.com
no avatar
User

Moshe F

Rank

Ultra geek

Queens, NY

by Moshe F » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:48 pm

Wonderful. Thanks, looking forward.
User

Yehoshua Werth

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 19, 2011 3:29 pm

Monsey, New York USA

Re: Sunday July 21th 2013 River Wine Event

by Yehoshua Werth » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:35 pm

BS"D

DONE :)
Yehoshua Werth, Manager
The GrapeVine Wines & Spirits
Monsey, NY USA
http://www.youtube.com/TheGrapevineWines
no avatar
User

lewis.pasco

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon May 01, 2006 12:41 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

by lewis.pasco » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:28 am

Well who went and how was it? I heard it was a great success - sold out.
Life is too short to drink bad wine.
no avatar
User

Moshe F

Rank

Ultra geek

Queens, NY

by Moshe F » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:09 pm

Overall it was a big party of an event.
The VIP poured some nice wines but i wish they would have decanted them all hours beforehand, oh well. The Shirah wines I couldn't get anything from, except the rose, which was a fun one. The Beit-El wines were showing quite nicely; they poured the 2012 Cabernet sauvignon and 2012 Carignan. Looking forward to these when they hit the shelves in the US. The 2007 Jonathan Tishbi Sde Boker Cabernet Sauvignon tasted and smelled like prune juice :( Maybe my palate was finished by then because of the Tishbi 16 Year Brandy just before hand. How can I turn down multiple samples of a $400 brandy that won some sort of prize in England?

The regular event was more of a party/kiddush/social hour(s). I didn't really take notes per-say as I was more hanging out with friends and shmoozing while we drank and snacked on the chicken, lamb balls, corned beef, roast beef, etc. I am curious to see what people thought of the Kadesh Barnea Rose because I didn't like it at all. The most shockingly drinkable wine was probably the Banero Prosecco which I have never seen before but apparently its a Trader Joe's bottle for like 7 or 8 USD! The one I would like to get my hands on again was the 2010 Aristas Del Sur Tannat.

I would love to hear what others thought about the event and their TN's for any wine they tasted.
no avatar
User

Elie Poltorak

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:05 pm

by Elie Poltorak » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:27 pm

Moshe F wrote:Overall it was a big party of an event.
The VIP poured some nice wines but i wish they would have decanted them all hours beforehand, oh well. The Shirah wines I couldn't get anything from, except the rose, which was a fun one. The Beit-El wines were showing quite nicely; they poured the 2012 Cabernet sauvignon and 2012 Carignan. Looking forward to these when they hit the shelves in the US. The 2007 Jonathan Tishbi Sde Boker Cabernet Sauvignon tasted and smelled like prune juice :( Maybe my palate was finished by then because of the Tishbi 16 Year Brandy just before hand. How can I turn down multiple samples of a $400 brandy that won some sort of prize in England?

The regular event was more of a party/kiddush/social hour(s). I didn't really take notes per-say as I was more hanging out with friends and shmoozing while we drank and snacked on the chicken, lamb balls, corned beef, roast beef, etc. I am curious to see what people thought of the Kadesh Barnea Rose because I didn't like it at all. The most shockingly drinkable wine was probably the Banero Prosecco which I have never seen before but apparently its a Trader Joe's bottle for like 7 or 8 USD! The one I would like to get my hands on again was the 2010 Aristas Del Sur Tannat.

I would love to hear what others thought about the event and their TN's for any wine they tasted.

The Sde Boker smelled and tasted like spoiled prune juice with some date jam and raisins thrown in. NASTY! And as for that $400 brandy, the guy at the event had it right when he asked who had been hitting the crack pipe. It wasn't nearly as good as a Carmel 100 at more than 10 times the price. But a sucker is born every day.
no avatar
User

lewis.pasco

Rank

Ultra geek

Jerusalem, Israel

by lewis.pasco » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:06 pm

The Sde Boker smelled and tasted like spoiled prune juice with some date jam and raisins thrown in. NASTY!

Elie - one should always be careful to distinguish "SDE BOKER" from "Jonathan Tishbi Sde Boker" because although the grapes for both come from the same vineyard source, "Sde Boqer" is an entirely distinct label and production process from anything Tishbi makes!

I don't think Zvi Remak or the good people of Kibbutz Sde Boqer would be happy with that type of nomenclature carelessness!

Very glad to hear the 2012 Beit El wines showed well :wink: .
no avatar
User

lewis.pasco

Rank

Ultra geek

Jerusalem, Israel

by lewis.pasco » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:49 pm

Moshe,

Thank you kindly for the response.
User

Craig Winchell

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:09 pm

by Craig Winchell » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:04 pm

I just hope it was kosher. the traditional way to get lamb balls is to cut them off when the male is young, to promote subsequent development of tender meat. But if it was kosher, then chances are what you were eating were ram's balls.
no avatar
User

Yossie Horwitz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:27 pm

NYC

by Yossie Horwitz » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:06 pm

They were meatballs of lamb meat...
Sign up for my weekly newsletter on wines, wineries & other oenophilic goodies at http://www.yossiescorkboard.com
no avatar
User

lewis.pasco

Rank

Ultra geek

Jerusalem, Israel

by lewis.pasco » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:24 pm

LOL all around.

Generally a good idea to distinguish between balls and testes.
no avatar
User

Elie Poltorak

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:05 pm

by Elie Poltorak » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:55 pm

lewis.pasco wrote:
The Sde Boker smelled and tasted like spoiled prune juice with some date jam and raisins thrown in. NASTY!

Elie - one should always be careful to distinguish "SDE BOKER" from "Jonathan Tishbi Sde Boker" because although the grapes for both come from the same vineyard source, "Sde Boqer" is an entirely distinct label and production process from anything Tishbi makes!

I don't think Zvi Remak or the good people of Kibbutz Sde Boqer would be happy with that type of nomenclature carelessness!

Very glad to hear the 2012 Beit El wines showed well :wink: .

Never heard of the other Sde Boker. Is it kosher?
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:46 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:58 pm

Craig Winchell wrote:I just hope it was kosher. the traditional way to get lamb balls is to cut them off when the male is young, to promote subsequent development of tender meat. But if it was kosher, then chances are what you were eating were ram's balls.

Yossie Horwitz wrote:They were meatballs of lamb meat...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: this is epic!
no avatar
User

lewis.pasco

Rank

Ultra geek

Jerusalem, Israel

by lewis.pasco » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:56 pm

Elie yes indeed they are Kosher, right now for sure and for a couple of years. I believe their current releases are Kosher best to give them a call or drop them an email:

photos -

https://www.google.com/maps/preview/uv? ... IsBEKIqMAs

webpage -

http://sde-boker.org.il/winery/EnKsb.html

Their winemaker Zvi Remak is a good friend. His wines are soft and very approachable on release, and neither very alcoholic nor expensive.
User

YoelA

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:43 pm

San Francisco area

by YoelA » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:45 pm

I was at the Sde Boker winery a couple of months ago. Their wines were pretty good and reasonably priced (and kosher for the last couple of years). I just didn't have enough room to bring any back to the US.