The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Wines in my backyard (1929-2011)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Wines in my backyard (1929-2011)

by Dale Williams » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:57 am

Yesterday we invited some folks over for a backyard bash. Idea was to make this more wine-centric than our bigger parties, so invited friends from various wine groups, then supplemented with some neighbors when there were a few cancellation. Weather was warm and cloudy, we were outside for a couple hours till showers drove us in. I tried to spend less time in front of grill than usual by preparing cold proteins in advance. I ended up only grilling some corn for poat dot (Cambodian glazed corn)- most disappointing dish, local corn just sucked. We had lobster salad, pheasant salad, cold lamb, potato salad, mango salsa, gazpacho; other brough melon, cole slaw, cheeses, etc. Jay brought a strawberry layer cake that got raves.

Lots of wine:
White Mags
1997 Trimbach “Cuvee Frederic Emile” Riesling

mature but not tired, striking balance, best bottle of this I’ve had. A-

1996 Thevenet/Bongran “Tradition” Macon-Clesse
Divided opinions, a few loved, I thought pushing overripe. Very honied, interesting and not tired but not my fave. B-

750 white
2006 Vatan “Clos de Neore” Sancerre
Some reports of tiring bottles, but this is quite young. Racy, full, minty, I really enjoy. A-/B+

2002 Cazin “Renaissance “ Cour-Cheverny
In a nice place, demi-sec, floral, exotic, lovely. B+/A-

2002 Chidaine “Les Tuffeaux” Montlouis
Divided opinions. Some loved, some thought near death, I thought interesting with some light notes of oxidation. B/B-

2011 Egon Muller “Scharzhofberger” Kabinett
beautiful, lithe, wins title for “ first bottle emptied.” A-

2008 Maximin Grunhauser (Von Schubert) Abstberg Spatlese -
Too young, a bit closedt, lots of potential. B+

2007 Bornard “Gaudrettes” Chardonnay (Cotes du Jura)
Good, solid white pit fruits, earthy. B+

2002 Remi Jobard Meursault-Charmes 1er
Another good showing of this. A bit of sulphur at first, but it blows off to leave a pretty classic full-bodied Meursault. B+

1997 Drouhin "Clos des Mouches" Beaune 1er-
Missing neck label, we didn’t know vintage till cork pulled. First pour shows fresh and light colored, then within 15 seconds it begins to darken and shows oxidation, I didn’t find this undrinkable at all, just tired, with a nice wine underneath. But not sure I would call it PremOx as 1997 was a vintage to drink young IMHO. C+/B-

2003 Gravner “Breg” Anfora
In the interest of geekiness I wanted to love this. But more intellectually stimulating than tasty. C+

750 reds
2007 Foillard “3.14” Morgon

Lovely, ripe, fresh fruit, great acids. A-/B+

1943 Ch. de Pez (reconditioned 1976)
Old school claret nose, forest floor and a hint of barnyard, a bit sharp and thin on palate compared to the ‘29 Poujeaux. Bonus points for a wine made in middle of WWII (bottle is bluish- glass shortages). B

1929 Ch. Poujeaux
Excellent showing, better than previous bottle, midweight, plenty of fruit, complex nose. A-

1997 Breton “les Perrieres” Bourgueil
Lovely, nice balance of ripeness and acids, just a hint of herbs. A-/B+

Fun afternoon/evening with a nice group (the people make the party, not the wines!). :)
edited to correct producer's name on the Jura wine

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
Last edited by Dale Williams on Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: WTN: Wines in my backyard (1929-2011)

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:01 pm

Dale,

I agree with just about everything you said. I was one of the folks who liked the Thevenet, liked the Chidaine, but didn't like the Vatan. So it goes.

Thanks again for a great party!

And catch those moves...
sm2 Dale triptych.jpg

Jeff
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:07 pm

Wish I lived in your neighborhood. And glad to see the note on the 3.14, that might encourage me to finally open my one bottle. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:07 pm

That shirt is Coad-worthy.

Very interesting notes as well.

Would love to get my hands on a '43 like the de Pez.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:26 pm

Jeff, one of the things that I most enjoyed yesterday was the healthy disagreement on so many wines. That makes for a funner afternoon than all agreement.
Jenise, you know NY is a tourist destination, Betsy would LOVE to cook for you
David, I had bought the de Pez (2 bottle lot) to serve to a friend born in '43. Thought the bottle I served him showed a bit better than this one
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:40 pm

Sounds like a great day, wish you would have held it in October when we'll be in NY. Jeff and I have already disagreed about the Vatan on another board. Sometimes great minds don't think alike.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:43 pm

well, we could do something in Oct as well!
no avatar
User

Mark Golodetz

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:55 am

by Mark Golodetz » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:15 am

A wonderful afternoon of food and friends and the wines ranged from interesting to superb. Even the ones I didn't like were of good quality, but just didn't float my boat. My two favorites were the spectacular Egon Muller and the Poujeaux, which Dale has served before, and this was a little better than that one. It was an ageless beauty around 85 years old, with no grand cru pedigree, showing decades younger than it was. The 1982s I have been drinking have been spectacular as well, and I am having to ration them.

The Gravner was similar to others I have had. You love the story,as Dale said, you want to like it and yet, it fails to do what it should do, taste good. I love the Chidaine, but this one was lightly oxidized. The Mersault needed a little back end acidity to match the lovely nose. The Maxim Grunhauser was another winner; why don't I drink more German wines? Best wine food pairings of all.

Dale and Betsy, thank you for a wonderful afternoon.
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

by Jason Hagen » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:39 am

Sounds like a great day. Inspiring. That was an impressive and fun line up that is making me thirsty ... and it's only 6:30 in the morning!

Cheers,

Jason
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:07 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Jeff, one of the things that I most enjoyed yesterday was the healthy disagreement on so many wines. That makes for a funner afternoon than all agreement.
Jenise, you know NY is a tourist destination, Betsy would LOVE to cook for you
David, I had bought the de Pez (2 bottle lot) to serve to a friend born in '43. Thought the bottle I served him showed a bit better than this one

Dale, we'll probably get there soon enough. We've been a bit tied to this coast with our cat problems, but should be a little freer in the future.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jim Grow

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:31 am

Rockbridge Ohio

by Jim Grow » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:26 am

Dale, I consumed that bottle of Bongran around 2006 and thought it fabulous. I've read that sometimes his Chardonnays have a bit of botrytis and I love the very full (maybe overfull to some) flavors of his wines.
no avatar
User

Jay Miller

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:02 pm

by Jay Miller » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:39 pm

I generally agree with Dale here though I liked the von Schubert more and the Vatan less.

I'm usually a Gravner fan but this did not do anything for me.

Poujeaux was my WOTN. I was amazed at how well the Trimbach showed given that I had thought of 1997 as a vintage for drinking early. Given that my most recent Trimbach experiences were premoxed bottles of 1996 FE and 1998 CSH it was a welcome reprieve. Thank you Dale!