The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TN: Back in NY-Riesling, Gamay, PN, Chenin, etc

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

TN: Back in NY-Riesling, Gamay, PN, Chenin, etc

by Dale Williams » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:21 pm

No wine with fried chicken Monday in Georgia, then we flew back Tues. We had takeout Greek food (souvlaki, moussaka, dips, salads) with a couple of friends while dogs played.

NV Castellroig Brut
Crisp, light, refreshing, very solid value. B

2011 “M “Vinos Sin Ley Monastrell
Modern, sweet, not overwhelming, well done just not my style. C+

2008 A. Verdet Nuits St George

A bit tight at first , opens nicely, surprisingly red fruited for NSG, good length B+

Betsy made chicken schnitzel on a mint/watercress/arugula salad Wednesday, I opened the 2008 Herman Weimer Dry Riesling. Lime, apple, good acids, just not especially compelling. B-

Thursday chicken meatballs with raita and saffron rice and a Madhur Jaffrey green bean dish, and the 2009 JJ Prum Wehlener Sonnenhuhr Kabinett. Just sulphur and sugar at first, then slate, petrol, and green apple. Great acids for a warm vintage. This certainly needs time, but I enjoyed B+

Friday I grilled littleneck clams with lemon, garlic, and oil to make a pasta sauce, with dinner opened the 2011 Huet “Clos du Bourg” Vouvray Sec. Medium=bodied, medium acids, beeswax, honey, flowers. Good but not my fave vintage of this. B+/B

Saturday was spiced duck breast on green beans with honied almonds and the 2011 Foillard “Cote du Py” Morgon. Crunchy red fruits, excellent length, a little espresso, very very nice. B+/A-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: TN: Back in NY-Riesling, Gamay, PN, Chenin, etc

by Rahsaan » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:49 am

Dale Williams wrote:Friday I grilled littleneck clams with lemon, garlic, and oil to make a pasta sauce, with dinner opened the 2011 Huet “Clos du Bourg” Vouvray Sec. Medium=bodied, medium acids, beeswax, honey, flowers. Good but not my fave vintage of this. B+/B

Some people have been slamming the 11 Huets and I remember trying a few last year and finding them very awkward. But, I recently bought some more out of optimistic confidence that they will at least show something more. Anxious to open and see.