Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.
no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:31 pm

Not on Bread Alone / Weeksend wine

by Harry J » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:26 am

bsd
Two people eating dinner. One is well schooled in table manners and the other very much not.
Another scenario;two people who are hungry.Both are polite to the host before the dinner but only one is gracious afterwards.
The infractions are not crimes per se; yet the adherence lifts the act of eating to more than just a physical and rather to a state of elevation.
Have a good one; h
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:46 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

Re: Not on Bread Alone / Weeksend wine

by Gabriel Geller » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:09 pm

Harry Shavua Tov!

Lovely wines this shabbos!

Friday night:

Gvaot, Gofna, Pinot Noir 2009: I ABSOLUTELY LOVED this wine! Who said that quality Pinot Noir cannot be grown in Israel's mediterranean hot climate? This wine might be one of very rare exceptions but it is exceptionally good! Varietally true, delicate, refined, elegant, a great wine and with a very low 12.5 Abv by Israeli standards ! This was the first release made of grapes from Gvaot's Givat Harel tiny Pinot Noir vineyard at 720 meters above sea level produced in a very limited edition of 550 bottles (2 barrels) and aged for 12 months in oak barrels. Dark cherry garnet with on the nose strawberries, cherries, roses, eye-opening fragrances. Medium-bodied with on the palate sour cherries, red currants, strawberries, raspberries stoney minerals, wet wood with light herbal notes harmoniously marrying the red fruit notes with a touch of toasted oak, nice, balanced acidity and silky tannins on the long and elegant finish. Well-structured, this wine probably has 3-4 years ahead of it.

Shabbat lunch:

Carmel, Appellation, Johannisberg Riesling 2009: I bought this bottle out of curiosity a few days ago with very low expectations, but at only 40 shekels ($11) I wasn't taking that big of a risk. While Carmel's Kayoumi releases of Riesling for the 2010 and 2011 have been quite fine, 2009 being a very problematic year for Israel (and for Carmel in particular) and Riesling being such a delicate variety, chances that this wine would be dead by now weren't low to say the least. Well, not only was it alive it was kicking! As with its later versions now labeled as Single Vineyard Kayoumi and practically double the price, this wine is said to be off-dry but would be certainly labelled as dry in both Germany and Alsace. Light green-ish gold in color with on the nose perfumes of orange blossom, honeydew, apples and pears. Medium-bodied with on the palate fresh ripe pears, honeysuckle, tangerines, a hint of minerals, with some gooseberries and a touch lemon zest and more minerals on the moderately long finish. Once again here the relatively low 12% Abv. surprised and impressed me. A delicious wine that was very appreciated by all, some of the guests at the table were shocked such a good Riesling could be made in Israel.

Have all a great week!

GG
no avatar
User

Isaac Chavel

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:54 am

by Isaac Chavel » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:55 pm

Hi, Harry, shavu'a tov,

Friday night: 2010 Tzuba Pinot Noir. Last bottle was just fine, but this one had too much "heat." I hope it is an off-bottle, or my taste buds were off.
Shabbat lunch: Brought 2011 Dalton Sauvignon Blanc to friends for lunch. Appreciated all the way around. Lacked the acidity of, say, Ella Valley amd Teperberg SBs, but very nice nonetheless.

A good week to all,

Isaac
no avatar
User

Harry J

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:31 pm

by Harry J » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:11 am

hi; 2012 Indigo the new mt hermon by golan heights a blend of cab and syrah that on the first try seems to be a well done blend.much different than the other mt hermon,more defined. h
no avatar
User

Gedalya P

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:01 am

by Gedalya P » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:03 pm

The Har Bracha Petite Syrah 2011 is the most reasonably priced offering from the winery so far. It is from the winery's famed Har Bracha vineyards, nurtured on the vine and delicately harvested when ready. It is aged in oak for eight months and is an enjoyable version of what is quickly becoming a very popular variety in Israel.
The Dalton Shiraz 2011 has continued as a delightful wine in Dalton's list. The Shiraz, Zinfandel, and Petite Syrah have been competing for a while now as some of the best values in the country. This one is from Galil grapes, aged ten months in oak, and full of red fruits and subtle spiciness.
From Cellar 18 in Ramat Beit Shemesh
User

David Raccah

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:18 am

Bay Area, CA

by David Raccah » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:55 pm

The PS was not oak aged - but rather steel aged with oak sticks
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
no avatar
User

Sam M

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:28 am

by Sam M » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:49 pm

2007 Ella valley cab Sauvignon. Wonderful full body,
Well balanced.
2012 tepperberg Chardonnay. Very good value , refreshing, not oaky.
no avatar
User

Elie Poltorak

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:05 pm

by Elie Poltorak » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:38 pm

Gabriel Geller wrote:Harry Shavua Tov!

Lovely wines this shabbos!

Friday night:

Gvaot, Gofna, Pinot Noir 2009: I ABSOLUTELY LOVED this wine! Who said that quality Pinot Noir cannot be grown in Israel's mediterranean hot climate? This wine might be one of very rare exceptions but it is exceptionally good! Varietally true, delicate, refined, elegant, a great wine and with a very low 12.5 Abv by Israeli standards ! This was the first release made of grapes from Gvaot's Givat Harel tiny Pinot Noir vineyard at 720 meters above sea level produced in a very limited edition of 550 bottles (2 barrels) and aged for 12 months in oak barrels. Dark cherry garnet with on the nose strawberries, cherries, roses, eye-opening fragrances. Medium-bodied with on the palate sour cherries, red currants, strawberries, raspberries stoney minerals, wet wood with light herbal notes harmoniously marrying the red fruit notes with a touch of toasted oak, nice, balanced acidity and silky tannins on the long and elegant finish. Well-structured, this wine probably has 3-4 years ahead of it.

Shabbat lunch:

Carmel, Appellation, Johannisberg Riesling 2009: I bought this bottle out of curiosity a few days ago with very low expectations, but at only 40 shekels ($11) I wasn't taking that big of a risk. While Carmel's Kayoumi releases of Riesling for the 2010 and 2011 have been quite fine, 2009 being a very problematic year for Israel (and for Carmel in particular) and Riesling being such a delicate variety, chances that this wine would be dead by now weren't low to say the least. Well, not only was it alive it was kicking! As with its later versions now labeled as Single Vineyard Kayoumi and practically double the price, this wine is said to be off-dry but would be certainly labelled as dry in both Germany and Alsace. Light green-ish gold in color with on the nose perfumes of orange blossom, honeydew, apples and pears. Medium-bodied with on the palate fresh ripe pears, honeysuckle, tangerines, a hint of minerals, with some gooseberries and a touch lemon zest and more minerals on the moderately long finish. Once again here the relatively low 12% Abv. surprised and impressed me. A delicious wine that was very appreciated by all, some of the guests at the table were shocked such a good Riesling could be made in Israel.

Have all a great week!

GG

GG: Thanks to you, I also enjoyed a bottle of this wine not very long ago and it is spectacular. Thank you!
Not as big a wine as the '10 vintage I loved so much, it is much more varietally true. I think the '12 vintage we tasted from the barrel together at the winery may well have both advantages--a big pinot with serious backbone, but very elegant and varietally true at the same time. It's the best pinot I've ever tasted, including Benyo's famous pinots--I can't wait until it's released!!
I would only take issue with your optimistic drinking window. It's drinking at peak now, so why wait? I don't see it getting better and it may well be a pale shadow of itself 2 years from now, never mind 3 or 4.
no avatar
User

Elie Poltorak

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:05 pm

by Elie Poltorak » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:03 pm

2011 Netofa Tinto: A-/*** Very interesting--unlike anything else out there on the market. A bit of pleasant brett on the nose, with garrigue, wet grass, cedar smoke, and roasting marshmallow. Bracing acidity and lots of mediterranean herb, this wine was made to pair with mediterranean cuisine. Surprising notes typical of new American oak--dill and sweet vanilla on both the nose and mouth--I expected Pierre to use French oak, so I wonder if this is really American oak or something else is going on. Caressing tannins and great structure. Nice black olive on the finish. Very interesting combination of old world and new world characteristics. Awesome wine with INCREDIBLE QPR. Drink now, as this wine will fade quickly.

2011 Elvi InVita B+/** I was disappointed to see that this wine's price has increased by over 50% since last year. It's still a reasonably good value, but no longer the steal it was at $11 or so last year. This is the perfect, uncomplicated, refreshing quaffer. A wine you reach for when the occasion and temperature calls for ice-cold beer or lemonade. Delightful lemon-y goodness without any pretension. Unlike most white wines, this should be served straight out of the fridge. It's starting to grow tired so drink up. Where is the '12? The '11 was already out this time last year...

2010 Tulip Just Cabernet Sauvignon: D/* What can I say? Date juice, with searing alcohol. Right on the edge of drinkability, I managed to finish my havdala cup, but couldn't bring myself to drink any more during melave malka, having to switch to beer.

2010 Narrow Bridge Cabernet Franc: B to B+/N/A (the wine is not commercially available) A privately-made wine by winemaker Levi Chitrick, from Sonoma grapes, vinified at Brooklyn Winery, aged 19 months in old oak with oak staves. A big, bold wine that screams for a steak. I would never believe this is a CF as it has none of the green notes you expect from this variety--tastes just like a big Cali Cab, with lots of black fruit, tobbacco, graphite and a pleasing salinity. BRACING acidity needs fatty meat to cut through. Unfortunately, the wine was marred by a slightly splintery mouthfeel and slightly bitter tannins reminiscent of overbrewed tea, both of which I believe are the result of overuse of oak staves. Nevertheless, a good wine for a steak on the grill. I think Pinchas might love this wine, as the acidity is off the charts, but all controlled--not at all unbalanced.
User

Gabriel Geller

Rank

'So-called' wine expert

Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:46 pm

Jerusalem, Israel

by Gabriel Geller » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:30 am

Elie Poltorak wrote:GG: Thanks to you, I also enjoyed a bottle of this wine not very long ago and it is spectacular. Thank you!
Not as big a wine as the '10 vintage I loved so much, it is much more varietally true. I think the '12 vintage we tasted from the barrel together at the winery may well have both advantages--a big pinot with serious backbone, but very elegant and varietally true at the same time. It's the best pinot I've ever tasted, including Benyo's famous pinots--I can't wait until it's released!!
I would only take issue with your optimistic drinking window. It's drinking at peak now, so why wait? I don't see it getting better and it may well be a pale shadow of itself 2 years from now, never mind 3 or 4.

Elie first of all it was a pleasure! Having no component from different varieties in the wine, it is understandable that the wine is varietally true (by the way so is the '10 although the 10% Merlot give it a noticeable twist, and same goes with the 5% Petit Verdot in the '11). In fact the 09 Gvaot Pinot Noir is the one and only of its kind to be fully varietally true and in a french, old world style that I've had from Israel since some earlier releases of GMW even though those were by far not as good and complex. Regarding my drinking window, I've found the wine to have more of a decent structure with fine balance between the fruit, acidity and tannin and given how the wine evolved nicely and significantly over the course of the meal I believe this wine might not be yet at the top of its peak and even if it is, I think that most certainly it will remain there for the next 3 or so years. Now will I wait until then to consume my last bottle? I highly doubt I can hold myself back that long but will definitely keep this forum posted on the matter. :wink: Regarding the '12, I've tasted it again from the barrel 10 days ago and it keeps being very promising, let's hope the final result we'll find in the bottle will live up to that!

Best,

GG
no avatar
User

Shlomo R

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:49 am

by Shlomo R » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:21 am

Took a 2009 Galil Mountain Yiron to my parents' house this Shabbos. Shabbos lunch my wife comments "dear, we're drinking this wine a little young." My answer: "This is from the case in the basement of the house. I've got another case in the large wine fridge in the office. We'll drink that at a more appropriate age." 8)
http://www.chailifeline.org/events/Bike ... rosenzweig - cycling 175 miles to raise money for summer camp for kids with cancer - doing it again in 2014!
no avatar
User

Moshe F

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:17 pm

Queens, NY

by Moshe F » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:01 pm

evening shinanigans:
2007 Chateau Peyrat-Fourthon: never heard of it and never seen it before. Was a descent wine. was brought over as a gift. needs time to open up and we didn't necessarily give it the time it needed...
2010 Bazelet Hagolan Cabernet Sauvignon. I liked this one. forest fruits showed at first and then later was showing some chocolatey notes.
Had to cap the crazy night off with some ron zaya. a very very sweet rum.

daytime adventure:
2010 Brobdingnagian Grenache. A really good wine. very well balanced from my perspective. big fruit kept in check with spicey oak and alcohol. Bravo.
2010 Tzora Vineyards Judean Hills. Also a good wine. Tasting this next to the brob i was getting a lot more earthy and dirt styles from it.
2010 Flam Classico. I like this one as well. black cherries, some oak, some spice. good medium+ body and tannins.
Bartenura Prosecco NV. a fun inexpensive wine that does exactly what it is supposed to do.
capped the 7 hour meal off with blantons...

Wishing you all a good week!
User

Yehoshua Werth

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 19, 2011 3:29 pm

Monsey, New York USA

by Yehoshua Werth » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:04 pm

Pre Shabbos adventure with C & R rep and 50 people..
Wine & cheese:

2007 Hagafen Late Disgorged Brut
Hagafen Chardonnay
Weinstock chardonnay
Carmel Moscato
Carmel Kayoumi Riesling
Carmel Appelation White Ridge
Carmel Sha'Al Late Harvest Gewurztraminer
1999 Chateau Guiraud 1er CRU Sauternes
Yatir Viongnier

Shabbos Night: Hosted Sheva Brachos for 50, Torah Thoughts on Wine and paired food with these wines:

Le Soreq Semi Sauvignon Blanc
Mony Gewurztraminer
Hagafen Lat disgorged Brut
Tabor 1/11,000
Le Ramparts De Bel Air Bordeau
Alexander Cabernet Franc
Gvaot Chardonnay Cabernet Sauvignon Blend
Carmel Sha'al Late Harvest Gewurztraminer
Herzog Alexander Valley Cabernet Sauvignon

Koval Rose Hips -Organic Liquerer
Koval Jasmine -Organic Liquerer

Bruichladdich - Organic Single Malt Scotch

Shabbos Day

Tabor - Cabernet Sauvignon
Tabor - Shiraz

Notes and Vintages coming :)
Yehoshua Werth, Manager
The GrapeVine Wines & Spirits
Monsey, NY USA
http://www.youtube.com/TheGrapevineWines
User

David Raccah

Rank

Wine guru

Bay Area, CA

by David Raccah » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:06 pm

Yosh - none of these are new, but mazel tov and congrats! Now, who is bringing in Tabor????
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
no avatar
User

Pinchas L

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:04 pm

Brooklyn, NY

by Pinchas L » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:41 am

Hi Harry,

Flam Blanc 2012 - This is a blend composed of 55% Sauvignon Blanc and 45% Chardonnay. Overall this is a fun wine, well-suited for summer, possessing bright overtones that are not merely a function of its acidity, but also a product of the fruit and the citrus flavors they impart. The aspect grabbing my attention this time, is that the wine's relatively low acidity, labeled at 12.5%, comes with a price: that of under-ripe fruit. As a result, I sense plenty of green notes in conjunction with some bitterness, a bitterness that clashes somewhat with the brightness of the fruit. The upside is that the wine is very fresh and vibrant. It paired better with salads than with chicken or even fish. B/**/Y

Hagafen Prix Pinot Noir, Colifornia Soleil Vineyard North Block 2006 - This vintage and bottling seems to be the best of the pack of Hagafen's single block pinot noir bottlings, as they stand today, though by no means is it a great pinot. It's austere, with fruit that is mostly in the background. This wine quite clearly showcases the "wet forest floor" characteristics that some pinots are known for. There is, in addition, some interesting interplay between the fruit and the wood. 13.5% AbV. B-/*/N

Best,
-> Pinchas

Grading for quality: A - marvelous, B - good/intriguing, C - mediocre/uninspiring, D - subjectively flawed, F - objectively flawed
Grading for value: *** - it's a steal, ** - it's a reasonable deal, * - you've been robbed
Indication of further interest: Y - would purchase again, N - no desire to purchase more
User

Yehoshua Werth

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 19, 2011 3:29 pm

Monsey, New York USA

by Yehoshua Werth » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:22 pm

David Raccah wrote:Yosh - none of these are new, but mazel tov and congrats! Now, who is bringing in Tabor????

Tabor is coming thru C & R section of Royal.. Bottles just coming in!
Yehoshua Werth, Manager
The GrapeVine Wines & Spirits
Monsey, NY USA
http://www.youtube.com/TheGrapevineWines
no avatar
User

gaston k

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:32 pm

by gaston k » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:44 pm

Fri Night - Borgo Reale Chianti - pretty bland
Sat Lunch - Chimay Cinq Cents
no avatar
User

Z Spigelman

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:26 am

Neve Tzuf, Israel

by Z Spigelman » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:36 pm

A complete Bravdo Shabbat - Merlot 2009, Chardonnay 2012, Rose 2012.

Last week on vacation in Shavei Zion (between Acco and Nahariya). Great time and ate one night at Arnolds. Great restaurant with a very reasonably priced wine list. Had the Tzora Judean Hills 2008 - very good but drink now.

Zvi
User

David Raccah

Rank

Wine guru

Bay Area, CA

by David Raccah » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:40 pm

Zvi - have you recently tasted the 2009 Bravdo Cab? The merlot and Coupage are holding up well, but the Cab was not showing well this past shabbos :(

http://kosherwinemusings.com/2013/07/30 ... sauvignon/

The 2008 BR Cohn rocked!
no avatar
User

Isaac Chavel

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:54 am

by Isaac Chavel » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:51 pm

have you recently tasted the 2009 Bravdo Cab

Uh-oh! I have two of them in "deep" storage. Better finish them over this year's high holidays?
User

David Raccah

Rank

Wine guru

Bay Area, CA

by David Raccah » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:07 pm

Well Isaac - there is also the US versus Israel wine issue - I would be less worried if they were bought and storied well in Israel. Versus bought in US and stored well here.

Such is life :(
no avatar
User

Alexander F

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun May 02, 2010 7:44 am

Israel

by Alexander F » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:21 pm

Gabriel Geller wrote:In fact the 09 Gvaot Pinot Noir is the one and only of its kind to be fully varietally true and in a french, old world style that I've had from Israel since some earlier releases of GMW even though those were by far not as good and complex.

I attended a Pinot Noir tasting b/o the year at Grapeman, where we tasted some Israeli Pinot along with new and old world wines of this variety.
There was 2010 Gvaot Pinot Noir, which was more close to New Zealand style, than to French style. The wine had sweet strawberries and quite powerful tannins that are too far to be french. Unfortunately, I hadn't ever tasted 2009.
From Israeli Pinot, it was second after Yarden 2007, which was just slightly better due to its age and softer tannins. I gave it 88+ and 88pts to Gvaot. Both are good wines, but in any comparison against any decent Burgundy, they fall in shadow.
Four of five village Burgundies were clearly better than any Israeli and with one exception, any other Pinot in the tasting. The exception was Villa Maria NZ Pinot Noir from Cellar Selection series. IMO, it can be a reference for our local producers. I don't expect them to try to make Burgundy in such a hot climate.
These were the four french:
Louis Jadot, Cote de Beaune Village 2009
Bouchard Pere et Fils, Beaune du Chateau 1er Cru 2009
Domaine Faiveley, Gevrey-Chambertin 2007 - best in the tasting, despite being only village level wine, but from one of the best terroirs in Cote de Nuits.
Bouchard, Nuits Saint Georges 2008
User

Craig Winchell

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:09 pm

by Craig Winchell » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:55 am

Four of five village Burgundies were clearly better than any Israeli and with one exception, any other Pinot in the tasting. The exception was Villa Maria NZ Pinot Noir from Cellar Selection series. IMO, it can be a reference for our local producers.

I cannot understand how NZ Pinot could be a reference for Israeli producers. NZ is one of the coldest climates in the world, and you state that Israel is just too hot. NZ is easily colder, on a typical basis, than Burgundy. That's why the wines tend to be thin and high acid, and the very successful ones have long hand times providing an abundance of flavor that typically is lacking except in the very best years. I would think CA would be the model, and not a very good one.
no avatar
User

Pinchas L

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:04 pm

Brooklyn, NY

by Pinchas L » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:32 pm

Hi Harry,

Midbar Chardonnay 2010 Unoaked - Sipping this wine became more of a case study in Chardonnay, than the simple pleasure I expected it do be. Labeling it "unoaked" turned out to be a foil, getting me to expect a fruitier and simpler wine. There were no bright fruity notes, and I'm struggling to find ample descriptors of its flavor. But perhaps, that is the point, as Chardonnay is typically not an exuberantly fruity varietal. Oryah showcases the structure of the variety, without showing how well it can absorb oak. At first, I didn't detect the absence of the oak, because the wine has substantial weight, texture, acid and perhaps a touch of tannin, but without the fruitiness, eventually an unsatisfied craving for some oak derived flavors developed. 14% AbV. B-/**/Y

Tishbi Malbec Single Vineyard 2009 - Whereas in the past, this wine presented an abundance of pleasure, with sun-drenched scrumptious fruit, it now seems to have developed character that goes beyond the unadulterated pure joy. I'm having a hard time expressing the qualities the wine assumed, and what are those that it shed. It seems that it now has a character that I would like to associate with Malbec, but given my minimal exposure to the variety, I'm reluctant to do so. The fruit is high-pitched, especially on the finish, ending on a very high note, that might be grating to some, though I wouldn't call it astringent. The fruit profile that was dominated by raspberry, has given way to pomegranate flavors, especially on the finish. There is something about the wine telling you that it is decidedly not a Cabernet Sauvignon, nor a Syrah, but I don't have the means to express it. Perhaps, with some more experience I'll find the proper words to express it. The tannins are silky, and the oak influences aren't overt. 13% AbV. B+/**/Y

Best,
-> Pinchas

Grading for quality: A - marvelous, B - good/intriguing, C - mediocre/uninspiring, D - subjectively flawed, F - objectively flawed
Grading for value: *** - it's a steal, ** - it's a reasonable deal, * - you've been robbed
Indication of further interest: Y - would purchase again, N - no desire to purchase more
Next