The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

NEB4 Event

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

NEB4 Event

by TomHill » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:03 pm

The NEB4 (Nebbiolo Enthusiasts & Believers) event, the #4 one thus far, is being scheduled for Sat/Aug 10 in PasoRobles. The details as they come together next week will be posted to our FaceBook page:
NEB FaceBookPage

It's a rather casual get-together of mostly Nebbiolo growers & winemakers talking about growing/winemaking of Nebbiolo and trying to promote the variety in the USofA where, one day, the world's greatest Nebbiolos will be grown.
Here is your chance to follow US Nebbiolo "from the very start".
If you're in the area & interested, you can contact me directly at: TomHillEpeeGuy@GMail.com
Tom

NEB4: Aug 10/Paso Robles
Organizational planning is in progress for the convening of NEB4. Brian and Stephy Terrizzi of Giornata Winery in Paso Robles have agreed to host this year's event. The date is Saturday, Aug 10.
Brian envisions a morning technical session of Nebbiolo growers/producers with a blind tasting of their wines followed by a casual/light lunch at his new winery. The afternoon session will be a trade/NEB member tasting of all submitted Nebbiolos, followed by an event open to the public, probably at the 15C wine bar in Templeton.
Additional details with times and costs will be forthcoming as the NEB4 event firms up.

We now have a FaceBook page that we'll keep the event details updated on:
www.facebook.com/NebNebbioloEnthusiastsBelievers
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

Re: NEB4 Event

by Lou Kessler » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:08 pm

My experience with CA Nebbiolo has been a disappointment. I don't know if it's the clones or the area where they have been planted but I've yet to taste one that reminded me of Piedmont. To be totally candid I haven't tasted one I would buy either for myself or our store. Somebody is going to find out why?
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: NEB4 Event

by Dale Williams » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:34 pm

Lou Kessler wrote:My experience with CA Nebbiolo has been a disappointment

Mine too. So who should we try Tom?
Last edited by Dale Williams on Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Calif Nebb

by TomHill » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:37 am

Lou Kessler wrote:My experience with CA Nebbiolo has been a disappointment. I don't know if it's the clones or the area where they have been planted but I've yet to taste one that reminded me of Piedmont. To be totally candid I haven't tasted one I would buy either for myself or our store. Somebody is going to find out why?

And therein lies the problem, Lou. If you insist that Nebbiolo taste like Langhe Nebbiolo, than you should not drink anything else but Piedmont.
If you insist PinotNoir taste like RedBurg, then you should only drink Burgundy and avoid RRV Pinots. If you insist that Syrah
tastes like Cote-Rotie, then you should only drink Rhone and avoid Steve's stuff. Makes life a whole lot simpler.
At our NEB3 event last year, DarrellCorti forcefully made the point that Calif should not try to replicate Langhe Nebb (or Alto Piedmont or
Valtelline Nebb), but should make the best Calif Nebbiolo that they possibly could, and let it speak in its own voice.
We tasted two of BrianHarrington's Nebbs last night. Definitely not Piedmont. But some of the best elegant/Pinotish-like PasoRobles
reds I can recall that sorta whispered Nebbiolo in a voice that most people never hear. But it was definitely Nebbiolo if you listened closely.
Tom
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

UpDate...

by TomHill » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:32 pm

NEB4: Aug 10/Paso Robles
As part of the NEB4 event for growers/producers of Nebbiolo, there will be a tasting of submitted Nebbiolos, some presented by their winemakers, at the 15c wine bar at 624 South Main St in Templeton from 4-7 pm. There is a $15 fee to taste these Nebbiolo's. Cheese and salumi
provided. We will be on the patio in the shade. Some wines will be for sale.

We now have a FaceBook page that we'll keep the event details updated on:
www.facebook.com/NebNebbioloEnthusiastsBelievers