The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Look who's going to MoCool!!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

JuliaB

Rank

Woman of Mystery

Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:44 pm

Ohio

Look who's going to MoCool!!

by JuliaB » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:59 pm

GIRLS_GONE_WILD (3).png

MoCool 13 is a mere 16 days away! Some of you may not be aware that MoCool, which is billed as "the world's longest running off-line gathering of wine lovers", owes some of its successful longevity to our own Robin Garr. From 1995 through 2008, Robin chronicled and took pictures at MoCool and helped promote it to the online wine drinking community here. Over the years, it has given many WLDGers a chance to meet in person, and carry on the camaraderie we enjoy in the forum.

So let's see who we will meet this year...please sign in!

For those who would like to join us..go to http://www.mocool.org and plan to go to the greatest wine event of the year. G.I.R.L.S. gone WILD!!!

I'm going!
JuliaB
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: Look who's going to MoCool!!

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:09 pm

Many of us are unable to attend so good luck. It would be nice if there were some pics of the event and more TNs so that we can all indulge in the experience.
no avatar
User

JuliaB

Rank

Woman of Mystery

Ohio

by JuliaB » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:59 pm

Wish you could make it, Bob. We actually have a nice Canadian faction that attends. I know last year there were abundant pictures and videos of the event on FaceBook. Someone said it was easier to post pictures there...I don't know about that. We'll do our best to keep the WLDG crowd informed....and enticed! :wink:

JB
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:04 pm

Mary Jo and I will be there. Among other things, to enjoy Alan's culinary skills!
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:21 pm

Jeannette and I will be there for the annual MoCool family reunion!
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:00 pm

LuAnne and I will be there. We plan to drink good wine and eat good food!
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:55 am

JuliaB wrote:Wish you could make it, Bob. We actually have a nice Canadian faction that attends. I know last year there were abundant pictures and videos of the event on FaceBook. Someone said it was easier to post pictures there...I don't know about that. We'll do our best to keep the WLDG crowd informed....and enticed! :wink:

JB

Thanks but we are not all on Facebook!
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:29 am

I have blown caution to the winds, and will be there arriving on Thursday mid afternoon hopefully. My featured on theme wines will be three of some pretty special Spanish red wines. Along with a story on how they were selected. Will likely bring a couple CndP probably Pegau. Will likely have something decent for opening on Thursday and Friday evenings too.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Jim Grow

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:31 am

Rockbridge Ohio

by Jim Grow » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:56 am

My sister-in-law Luci and I will be attending and arriving on Fri. afternoon. I got a note from Ol' Willie (William Holmes)that he will be celebrating his and Beth's 50th anniversary at that time and not able to attend, which is too bad as he said the theme wines were his favorites.
no avatar
User

Tom N.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:17 pm

Soo, Ont.

by Tom N. » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:10 am

I am coming and bringing lots of rieslings for my hoizonatal/vertical tasting. It is going to be a great time! Looking forward to seeing all the MoCool regulars again this year.
Tom Noland
Good sense is not common.
no avatar
User

Bob Noland

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:32 pm

Chardon, Ohio

by Bob Noland » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:15 am

I will be coming in Thursday... looking for the girls gone wild! :wink:
To do is to be. - Socrates
To be is to do. - Jean-Paul Sartre, Plato
Do-be-do-be-do. Frank Sinatra
no avatar
User

JuliaB

Rank

Woman of Mystery

Ohio

by JuliaB » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:31 pm

Looking forward to seeing my brothers and all the cool MoCoolians! I noticed some of our WLDG members haven't signed in here yet...there are more!
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:47 pm

by Diane (Long Island) » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:50 am

Bob Parsons Alberta wrote:
JuliaB wrote:Wish you could make it, Bob. We actually have a nice Canadian faction that attends. I know last year there were abundant pictures and videos of the event on FaceBook. Someone said it was easier to post pictures there...I don't know about that. We'll do our best to keep the WLDG crowd informed....and enticed! :wink:

JB

Thanks but we are not all on Facebook!

My sentiments exactly! Please post them here.
Diane
no avatar
User

Mike Conner

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:35 am

Knoxville, TN

MoCool or BUST!!

by Mike Conner » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:33 pm

I'm in (along with Marwan).

I'm still mulling over bottles, although Pegau, Beaucastel and Prüm on the definite "Saturday" list. Probably find at least one Muscadet and a cab franc to cover the Loire (maybe desert as well?). Adding a special German for Trombley to go with the traveling Sundial bottles, and I'll dig up a few from Spain (maybe a Rioja, and some older Clos Erasmus.... and probably others). That leaves Italy, which I'm going to have to defer to Marwan as the only bottle I have worthy of bringing is too young (I'm very poor when it comes to Italian bottles in the cellar).

Really haven't pondered Thursday/Friday bottles.... I'm sure I'll find something. ;-)

Another (minimum) 2 x 12-pack shipping box MoCool trip!

And, thanks to Kroger's sale flyer this week, looks like we'll have beef for Thursday!

Anyone want me to bring up some Benton's Bacon for them? I'd need to know to do some shopping....

In search of the perfect QPR wine.... does it exist?
no avatar
User

Bob Noland

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:32 pm

Chardon, Ohio

Re: MoCool or BUST!!

by Bob Noland » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:17 pm

Mike Conner wrote:I'm in (along with Marwan).
And, thanks to Kroger's sale flyer this week, looks like we'll have beef for Thursday!

Speaking of Thursday I am thinking of Shrimp in a Provencal butter wine sauce over Polenta dish for an appetizer to start the evening. Something a little lighter which should go well with a Chardonnay before the beef and big reds come out!
To do is to be. - Socrates
To be is to do. - Jean-Paul Sartre, Plato
Do-be-do-be-do. Frank Sinatra
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:32 pm

For Thursday we are thinking about Salmon with Oregon Pinot (Argyle Nuthouse and/or Archery Summit) and a Zinfandel. For Friday we are leaning toward Bordeaux and we are still narrowing down the theme wines for Saturday. Riesling and CdP will definitely be in the mix.

I am still trying to make a deal for a 76er Auslese to bring, but no luck so far. The provenance is somewhat iffy with significant label decay and the owner wants too much in cash or trade. My "best and final" offer was met with complete silence.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:14 pm

Sam Platt wrote:For Thursday we are thinking about Salmon with Oregon Pinot (Argyle Nuthouse and/or Archery Summit) and a Zinfandel. For Friday we are leaning toward Bordeaux and we are still narrowing down the theme wines for Saturday. Riesling and CdP will definitely be in the mix.

I am still trying to make a deal for a 76er Auslese to bring, but no luck so far. The provenance is somewhat iffy with significant label decay and the owner wants too much in cash or trade. My "best and final" offer was met with complete silence.

This interests me. With all the different wines consumed over the 2/3 day period, how does one coordinate the food/s?
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:41 pm

Bob,

Alan takes care of coordinating the menu with the wine theme on Saturday. Friday is typically a mish-mash of good wines making menu coordination impossible. For Thursday we are bringing a wine to match the food that we plan to supply for impromptu carry-in dinner.
Sam

no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:07 pm

Cincinnati

by MikeH » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:11 pm

Cindy and I look forward to reuniting with the MoCooligan gang in less than two weeks! Haven't finalized the wines but a Donnhoff Spatlese is on the short list. Have a bunch of barolos (baroli??), brunello, and amarone from which to choose. A Pegau or Beau CdP. Probably a nice little Champalou Vouvray as my Loire inventory is pretty small....and Spain as well.
Cheers!
Mike
no avatar
User

Tom N.

Rank

Wine guru

Soo, Ont.

by Tom N. » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:17 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta wrote:This interests me. With all the different wines consumed over the 2/3 day period, how does one coordinate the food/s?

Bob,

As Sam pointed out, Alan does the menu for Saturday and he selects dishes to go with each type of wine. Specific types may only have an appetizer to match, but there will be something. Typically we will have about a dozen different types of appetizers, plus cheeses. The main dishes are usually chosen to go with big reds, which most people bring for their dinner wines.

Thursday night is a party just for people staying in the cabins on site, and we usually chose a theme that is different than the MoCool theme. This year we have not done that, however everyone brings a dish and wine to match. Friday night is a out-of-town MoCooler party at one of the local organizers home. That is a catch all and everyone brings some mighty fine wines and there is no real coordination of wine and food. There will be good matches, but that just happens coincidentally.
Tom Noland
no avatar
User

Mike Conner

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:35 am

Knoxville, TN

Re: THURSDAY MoCool!!

by Mike Conner » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:03 am

Bob Noland wrote:Speaking of Thursday I am thinking of Shrimp in a Provencal butter wine sauce over Polenta dish for an appetizer to start the evening. Something a little lighter which should go well with a Chardonnay before the beef and big reds come out!

Sam Platt wrote:For Thursday we are thinking about Salmon with Oregon Pinot (Argyle Nuthouse and/or Archery Summit) and a Zinfandel.

Besides beef, I might consider duck if my one source has a good supply of breasts. The only small issue would be cooking it -- not really the best on the grill as the rendering fat usually causes flames. And, not looking to smoke up (or heat up) the cabin [I like to cook first on fat side, flip over and place in oven for a bit to bring up temp more evenly]..... I'll ponder it between now and decision time.

I'll definitely try to bring along some local tomatoes again as I did last year. Heard the crop in MI was a little late this year....

In search of the perfect QPR wine.... does it exist?
no avatar
User

Tom N.

Rank

Wine guru

Soo, Ont.

by Tom N. » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:48 pm

Mike Conner wrote:
Bob Noland wrote:Speaking of Thursday I am thinking of Shrimp in a Provencal butter wine sauce over Polenta dish for an appetizer to start the evening. Something a little lighter which should go well with a Chardonnay before the beef and big reds come out!

Sam Platt wrote:For Thursday we are thinking about Salmon with Oregon Pinot (Argyle Nuthouse and/or Archery Summit) and a Zinfandel.

Besides beef, I might consider duck if my one source has a good supply of breasts. The only small issue would be cooking it -- not really the best on the grill as the rendering fat usually causes flames. And, not looking to smoke up (or heat up) the cabin [I like to cook first on fat side, flip over and place in oven for a bit to bring up temp more evenly]..... I'll ponder it between now and decision time.

I'll definitely try to bring along some local tomatoes again as I did last year. Heard the crop in MI was a little late this year....

I am thinking of bringing pork tenderloin, marinating it and cooking medallions on the grill. My pairing would be an Oregon Pinot, Carleton Cellars. However, it looks like the menu is getting quite protein heavy so, I may change my mind. But as far as I am concerned the more pinots the better, especially from the Willamette valley.
Tom Noland
no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Cincinnati

by MikeH » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:51 pm

Tom N. wrote:I am thinking of bringing pork tenderloin, marinating it and cooking medallions on the grill. My pairing would be an Oregon Pinot, Carleton Cellars. However, it looks like the menu is getting quite protein heavy so, I may change my mind. But as far as I am concerned the more pinots the better, especially from the Willamette valley.

At this point it appears we will have some marinated flank steak for the grill so the protein parade continues. And I may be able to dig up a WV pinot.
Cheers!
Mike
no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Cincinnati

by MikeH » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:52 pm

Sam Platt wrote:For Thursday we are thinking about Salmon with Oregon Pinot (Argyle Nuthouse and/or Archery Summit) and a Zinfandel. For Friday we are leaning toward Bordeaux and we are still narrowing down the theme wines for Saturday. Riesling and CdP will definitely be in the mix.

Sam, which Archery Summit are you considering?
Cheers!
Mike
Next