The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 10th Annual Terrine Event with Wines

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

WTN: 10th Annual Terrine Event with Wines

by Bill Spohn » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:03 pm

Notes from the annual Terrine and wine event.

First up (an enviable position to be in as you can then relax for the rest of the afternoon) was a Bombe Martiniquaise – a terrine of ground chicken, pork, onion, garlic and coriander, with bands of solid chicken.

1996 Pol Roger Brut Blanc de Blancs, Extra Cuvee Reserve – fair bit if colour, a vanilla biscuit nose and in the mouth, crisp with tons of acid.

2002 Albert Mann Riesling Schlossberg – good as the bubble way, this one sang to me. Some colour, and a mature mellow nose of lime and ripe apple. Good length. Ready – don’t hold on this one. I thought I had some of this but it turned out to be 2000 Furstentum – better put that on the ‘to drink’ list!

Next terrine was a classically styled jambon persillé.

2006 Le Rocher des Violettes Montlouis-sur-Loire Cuvée la Negrette – another lovely wine that showed some apricot, ripe peach and vanilla in the nose, smooth silky middle and medium finish.

The next course was mine, so I’ll describe it a little more fully. It was a Ballotine of pork tenderloin, wrapped with bacon (a more traditional ballotine would be a boned animal including skin, stuffed and cooked – if roasted usually called a ballotine, if poached, a galantine). I roasted it over a fire and then slow cooked it until cooked through. It was stuffed with spinach, feta cheese, pepper flakes, and shallots. Served cold, in slices, with a salad that intentionally echoed the stuffing – spinach, feta, shallot and topped with thin slices of not too ripe pear, dressed only with reduced balsamic vinegar – the acetic acid boiled off and the sweetness and complexity of the balsamic remained. Decorated with cherry tomatoes marinated in a shallot vinaigrette.

2011 Anarchist Chardonnay (Osoyoos BC) – I wanted to put a local chard against a similarly priced French chard. This one had a vanilla and lemon nose (significantly but not excessively oaked) with the vanilla and lemon following on palate with a medium long full finish.

2011Dom. de la Sarazinère Mâcon Bussières 'Cuvée Claude Seigneuret' Vieilles Vignes – same vintage and grape, different continent. Good chardonnay nose, without the oak, clean and tasty. Preferences were divided as to which one pleased the most.

The next course was sublime – Sopa y Salad - a ‘soup and salad’ that consisted of a chilled peach gaspacho with a terrine of manchego cheese green pea and asparagus. The food was as perfect as I could have asked – I normally would have some comments (usually kept tactfully to myself) about how one aspect or another might have been done differently, but with this one I wouldn’t have changed a thing.

2007 Remelluri Rioja Granja Nuestra Senora de Remelluri – this white Rioja was excellent, with some colour, a toasty nose with floral hints and orange rind highlights. In the mouth, complex and dry with good persistence – good wine.

2012 La Conreria d'Scala Dei Priorat Black Slate La Morera – peach nose that echoed the gaspacho, as well as lime peel and wet stone. Mellow and smooth. Refreshing.

Next up was a hog jowl and pork terrine en croute.

2003 St. Prefert CNduP ‘Auguste Favier’ - a ripe figgy nose, and rich ripe flavours on palate with low acidity. Not my stle and like some 2003s now, showing a bit of browning at the edges.

2004 St. Prefert CNduP ‘Auguste Favier’ – this was more my style. Classic leather and dark fruit nose with hints of pepper and anise. Excellent acidity almost made the 2003 seem flabby in comparison. Balanced and long. Nice wine.

Final terrine with food was a trio of cheese terrines. Gorgonzola, mascarpone and nut, caramalized pear with St. Augur (my fave) and Brebis with slices of courgette.

1997 Ch. Bastor Lamontagne – this wine was quite dark, and showing oxidized hints that heralds and early end, at least compared to better vintages (like the 89 I ‘found’ in my cellar recently, and opened with trepidation given the age and the fact that is a modest wine. It was lovely!) apricot nose, a bit too sweet for the amount of acidity present.

2001 Ch. Filhot – this was another story. Lighter with lemon drop nose with honey and orange peel, also fairly sweet but much better balance. This one was batting way above it’s price range!

We finished up with a dessert terrine of chocolate with a clear coffee gelée on top, made to look like a faux liver mousse terrine.

Weather was overcast and not too hot, which suited all present. There will be a T-11 event next year!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: 10th Annual Terrine Event with Wines

by David M. Bueker » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:50 pm

Sounds fantastic.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:43 am

Another great event Bill. Which offering came from Jenise?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:12 am

Bob, I did the Spanish vegetarian plate. Full name: manchego, pea and asparagus terrine (con salsa romesceau), marcona almonds and spicy peach gazpacho.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:20 am

Are you going to post the RCP for the peach gazpacho in the food forum? Hint...hint.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:00 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Are you going to post the RCP for the peach gazpacho in the food forum? Hint...hint.

Excellent idea! It was a star.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:47 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:
David M. Bueker wrote:Are you going to post the RCP for the peach gazpacho in the food forum? Hint...hint.

Excellent idea! It was a star.

It was the inspiration for the whole plate. Had it in my mind for months--got the idea from Daniel Humm of 11 Madison Park. Didn't have a recipe, but watched him throw one together in a short video and came up with my own recipe based on what I saw. Fell madly in love. My original thought was to put the flavors in solid form somehow, but decided instead to make it a companion to a vegetable terrine. New problem: how to turn manchego cheese into a mousse. :)

But here you go:

4 good sized yellow peaches WITH skin
1 English cucumber, peeled
1 red bell pepper, seeded
1 red Fresno chile, seeded
2 cups original V-8
1/2 c water
1-2 tsp dry or fresh thyme
Juice and zest of one small lemon
four slices white bread, trimmed of crust, lightly brushed with olive oil and pan toasted
1/4 c olive oil
1/2 c skinless almonds
2-3 tblsp red wine vinegar
habanero based hot sauce and salt to taste

Dice produce, add to blender with V-8 and water. Whiz until pureed. Add remaining ingredients thru vinegar. Whiz until completely smooth and emulsified--this will take several minutes. Season with salt and a habanero based hot sauce (I used Melinda's XXX) until it has the kick that suits your taste. Finally, adjust viscosity. You could need to add up to another 1/4 c water.

This recipe makes about 2 quarts. If that's too much, this soup freezes beautifully.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:37 pm

I'll third that!

Looks like another stellar group of terrines.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Ted Richards

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:00 pm

Toronto, Canada

by Ted Richards » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:51 am

Jenise wrote:got the idea from Daniel Humm of 11 Madison Park. Didn't have a recipe, but watched him throw one together in a short video and came up with my own recipe based on what I saw.

FWIW, I just stumbled across Daniel Humm's actual recipe on Chowhound: http://www.chow.com/recipes/28867-daniel-humms-peach-gazpacho-with-toasted-almonds

Compare and contrast :D
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:01 pm

Ted Richards wrote:
Jenise wrote:got the idea from Daniel Humm of 11 Madison Park. Didn't have a recipe, but watched him throw one together in a short video and came up with my own recipe based on what I saw.

FWIW, I just stumbled across Daniel Humm's actual recipe on Chowhound: http://www.chow.com/recipes/28867-daniel-humms-peach-gazpacho-with-toasted-almonds

Compare and contrast :D

Good catch, Ted! Proves I got very close on the quantities. The fresh red chile and lemon were my own embellishments, btw; and though not attributable to Mr. Humm they WERE in what Bill tasted and so I included them.
no avatar
User

JuliaB

Rank

Woman of Mystery

Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:44 pm

Ohio

by JuliaB » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:00 pm

I'd like the terrine recipe that went with it! Please and thank you!

JuliaB
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:47 pm

Julia, I would happily comply but there's actually no recipe. I dreamed it all up in my head--I wanted alternating layers of something white and manchego cheese-y with something green and salad-y, and could find no recipes on the internet that got anywhere close. Nobody before me has ever wanted to make a stiff, stackable mousse out of manchego cheese or cauliflower, apparently. And I had no idea if manchego would melt, and wasn't in fact positive I'd need it to. Both ways had to be tested once I proved that the cauliflower base would give me the smooth creamy texture I wanted without a gross quantity of high fat dairy product, and for the other part I had to test singly and in combination just about every green vegetable grown in Spain. I made the final four purees the day before and was tweaking them into the two mousses they needed to become right up till final assembly--the consistency had to be identically dense so that the terrine would slice like a pound cake.

All the notes are in my head. I plan to make it again soon so I can preserve this for posterity--I'm my own harshest critic and rarely completely happy with anything I make, but this was that rare thing I thought perfect and I want a record of it--and when I do I'll post it on FLDG for you.