Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Birch syrup vs. maple syrup

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Birch syrup vs. maple syrup

by Jenise » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:31 pm

Yesterday on my home from Van, I picked up a few groceries, including a good maple syrup which I'm out of and would be one thing there wouldn't be a ridiculous import tax on in Canada. Saw birch syrup there as well, which is new to me. The birch syrup was about twice the cost of the maple. Is it worth the extra expense?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Birch syrup vs. maple syrup

by Robin Garr » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:07 pm

Jenise wrote:Yesterday on my home from Van, I picked up a few groceries, including a good maple syrup which I'm out of and would be one thing there wouldn't be a ridiculous import tax on in Canada. Saw birch syrup there as well, which is new to me. The birch syrup was about twice the cost of the maple. Is it worth the extra expense?

I remember tasting birch beer (a soft drink like root beer, but clear) when I was a kid working at a camp in upstate NY. I hated it. It tasted like Chiclets.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:14 pm

Robin Garr wrote:I remember tasting birch beer (a soft drink like root beer, but clear) when I was a kid working at a camp in upstate NY. I hated it. It tasted like Chiclets.

But do you like root beer?

I loved both as a kid and would get a kick out of comparing the flavors again as an adult.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:29 pm

Hmm... Birch Beer vs Root Beer? I have an empty bottle of each in the recycle bin now. I like them both, but find birch beer more refreshing. I've never heard of birch syrup.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:55 pm

Rahsaan wrote:
Robin Garr wrote:I remember tasting birch beer (a soft drink like root beer, but clear) when I was a kid working at a camp in upstate NY. I hated it. It tasted like Chiclets.

But do you like root beer?

I loved both as a kid and would get a kick out of comparing the flavors again as an adult.

I'm not crazy about root beer, but I like it okay, particularly an "artisanal" brand like Sprecher's from Milwaukee or some non-alcoholic root beers made by local microbreweries. I still remember being repulsed by birch beer, though.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:20 pm

Never heard of birch syrup either. True Love thinks that's what birch beer is made from, but I think it is made from either the bark or the roots.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:44 pm

Hmmm...was sure all you New Englanders would know! So just now I did a quick google and discovered a website for a birch syrup producer in Alaska. It certainly explains the expense.

Birch Syrup is a truly unique flavor from Alaska's forests - and quite rare. Total 2004 commercial production in Alaska and - as far as we know - in the world was less than 1500 gallons! At this time there is little commercial production of birch syrup anywhere else in the world.

Alaska's vast mid latitudes are carpeted with mixed birch/spruce - or "boreal" forests, ideal for sustainable syrup production; at present a little "tapped" resource.

Birch syrup in Alaska is produced by collecting the sap from the paper birch and evaporating it to syrup. It takes an average of 100 gallons of sap to make 1 gallon of birch syrup. Maple syrup, by comparison, averages 40:1. The sap, containing only 1-1.5% sugar, looks and tastes much like water right out of the tree. Concentrating the sugar to 67% by evaporation gives the syrup its color and distinctive flavor.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:08 pm

I've never heard of birch syrup before. Birch beer is very common in New England. As are root beer and Moxie. All three are made from an extract from tree roots. Moxie also has gentian root extract in it, which makes it taste like root beer with a dash of Angostura bitters added in.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:21 pm

I bought some birch syrup on a visit to Alaska a few years ago. That was the first time I hd ever seen it. I found it more rough and rustic than maple syrup, and my interest in it did not last through the 1 pint jug.
Decisions are made by those who show up