The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Wine Focus for July: Pinot Blanc, Gris, Grigio

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

Re: Wine Focus for July: Pinot Blanc, Gris, Grigio

by Mark Lipton » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:25 pm

We just returned from 12 days in Germany, including 2 in Freiburg. While there, we had a significant number of beautiful Weissburgunder (Pinot Blanc) from the Baden region, which I cannot recommend highly enough. These were dry, very aromatic and quite full-bodied with lively acidity. In all, they gave Riesling a run for its money in the scorchingly hot summer days we faced while there. The best examples (Franz Keller in Baden) were almost as acidic as Riesling and more perfumed than most Riesling Trocken wines.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:27 am

How's this for a useless contribution? Last night we went to a friend's home for dinner. These friends love wine and probably have more money than I do, but they don't spend it on good wine--to the extent they can tell a difference between one wine and another, the difference isn't worth the extra cost. So I was offered a choice of red or white, and I could see the red was a cheap jug wine called 'Twisted Zinfandel', so I went with the white which was unseen. And I was served a glass of almost-clear pinot grigio that had a clean, lightly floral, oak-free nose and a refreshing crispness on the palate which was otherwise nondescript, perhaps even slightly dilute, but also pleasant in that it didn't have any of the artificial, cheap lemon-lime soda pop flavor of most cheap pinot grigios I've ever had (Yellow Tail sets the standard there). As long as it was ice cold, one could drink it all day. If I were down on my luck, this might make the short list. What was it? Rex Goliath 47 Pound Rooster.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:09 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:The best examples (Franz Keller in Baden) were almost as acidic as Riesling and more perfumed than most Riesling Trocken wines.

Franz Keller weissburgunder, grauburgunder, and chardonnay are all very popular with my in-laws. I enjoy them quite a bit and can understand your description, but I don't love them and seek them out as much as other Baden wines (esp. Laible or Neuweier or even the Holger Koch I just started to explore). Maybe I need to taste more. Actually, I definitely need to taste more.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:55 pm

Rahsaan wrote:
Mark Lipton wrote:The best examples (Franz Keller in Baden) were almost as acidic as Riesling and more perfumed than most Riesling Trocken wines.

Franz Keller weissburgunder, grauburgunder, and chardonnay are all very popular with my in-laws. I enjoy them quite a bit and can understand your description, but I don't love them and seek them out as much as other Baden wines (esp. Laible or Neuweier or even the Holger Koch I just started to explore). Maybe I need to taste more. Actually, I definitely need to taste more.

We were ordering off of restaurant wine lists that weren't always the best, Rahsaan. Jean's bringing back some Laible for us to have here. The Keller was decent enough, though.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:52 am

2010 Ex Nihilo Pinot Gris Okanagan VQA.

Cellared 18 months, $27 Cdn , 14% alc, good natural cork.

Medium straw in color, no pink tinges. Not much for aromatics initially but then white stonefruit, mineral and citrus. I was not too excited by the first couple of glasses, "quite biting for me" thought fellow taster. Fair length but nutty bitterness on the finish. Wine did progress somewhat on day 2, better finish but lacks the preciseness of a Gray Monk or a Cedar Creek. Should have drunk a lot better than this.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:39 pm

I thought this was a terrific Focus for July. Am trying to track down some of the wines mentioned here but did go back for more of my Weissburgunder :D .
Sure liked the sound of Rahsaan`s 2011 Holger Koch Grauburgunder.
Previous