The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Vintages?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Marlyne K

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:47 pm

Vintages?

by Marlyne K » Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:09 pm

I have Beringer Knights Valley Cabernet (not Reserve) '07, '09, and 10. Also Chateau Ste. Michele Cabernet Columbia Valley '08.
I check the vintage charts in WS and WE, but can't figure what to drink and what to hold, and until when.
Any help (and tn's) would be appreciated.
no avatar
User

Tom V

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:33 pm

nyc

Re: Vintages?

by Tom V » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:32 pm

No need to complicate it Marlyne. None of those wines require extended cellaring and are basically ready to go upon release. The Beringers will hold for years but won't necessarily improve. I say drink 'em whenever you like starting with the oldest and enjoy!
no avatar
User

Marlyne K

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:47 pm

by Marlyne K » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:41 pm

Thanks so much for the info. I guess there are those cabs that will age (Montelena or Monte Bello) and those that are really for imbibing. I was told to let the Ridge Zins gather some dust before opening, so didn't know what to do about these. Got a bunch of drinking ahead of me!!! Only good times.
no avatar
User

Tom V

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:33 pm

nyc

by Tom V » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:17 pm

Ridge Zinfandels can be very long lived. I recently had a 1991 Lytton Springs Ridge Zin that was very enjoyable. It had been stored perfectly, which is of course vital. So if you have a few of these sample them a few years apart and you'll know if you prefer them young or with more age on them. Enjoy your good times!
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:53 am

Isn't it something like only 2% of wines are really made with the intention that they should be aged?
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:13 pm

My experience with Beringers KV is almost entirely with 2000 and earlier vintages. Always a good steak wine young. But I grabbed a case of 97 a couple years ago at auction at a very low price, all have been nice examples of mature CS. And a single bottle of '78 3 years ago still had life.