Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What's Cooking (Take Two!)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: What's Cooking (Take Two!)

by Jenise » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:03 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:Ah, enjoy your rainy day...I can only wish!

Jo Ann is to be even more jealous of, they've had thunder and lightning down there!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:18 pm

Eggplant rollatini, homemade pasta and crusty bread.
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:36 pm

Jenise wrote:
Karen/NoCA wrote:Ah, enjoy your rainy day...I can only wish!

Jo Ann is to be even more jealous of, they've had thunder and lightning down there!

We have had dry lightening in the mountains causing fires. Nothing like So. CA is having, however.
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:58 pm

It is cool and rainy day. My son is just back from work in Switzerland and we are making home made pasta for Bolognese meat sauce.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:17 pm

Tonight is a spatchcocked organic chicken done Tuscan style with lots of lemon juice, zest, garlic, rosemary, evoo, surrounded by baby potatoes dug up Saturday morning. All will go on the grill to roast. Corn on the cob and a greens salad with veggies as sides.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:57 pm

The thunder, lightening and cooling off caused by the rain has been wonderful. The last few days, as a result, have been perfect for me with periodic sunshine. Last night I celebrated the return of sane weather with comfort food of smothered chicken, spaghetti squash, black-eyed pea and kale salad and hushpuppies. For dessert I made Nanaimo bars. Yum! :D
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:21 pm

My Bellingham wine tasting group is coming over for dinner tonight. Three of the guys are bringing their kids. Since the theme is Italian wine, I'm making a big batch of Spaghetti and Meatballs. Will also make some crostini for an appetizer, and guests will bring the rest.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:22 pm

I'm cooking Stracotto (Italian Style Pot Roast) tonight. It has been on my mind for a long time now, but hey, it is summer and hot and I could not find the recipe I loved. I picked up a copy of Cooks Illustrated last week and there it was, and now I have to make it. Serving it with roasted garlic and chive mashed potatoes. Young carrots roasted with a little evoo, finished with a drizzle of almond oil, roasted pistachio nuts and fresh tarragon. I ordered a 3 1/2 lb. chuck eye roast from the butcher, boned and tied and I am on my way out to pick it up. Roast cooks for 4 hours at 300° Yum! :) House should smell wonderful later today.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:56 am

Karen/NoCA wrote:I ordered a 3 1/2 lb. chuck eye roast from the butcher, boned and tied...

See? Who needs those bones, anyway? :twisted:
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:00 pm

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:
Karen/NoCA wrote:I ordered a 3 1/2 lb. chuck eye roast from the butcher, boned and tied...

See? Who needs those bones, anyway? :twisted:

I do, and I asked the meat cutter to give my the bone...after all the meat is weighed with the bone in. It is in my freezer! :twisted:
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:17 pm

Chinese Chicken Salad tonight with a yummy Asian dressing, and a crusty bread slathered with butter infused with Thai basil and galangal.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:51 pm

Caprese with garden tomatoes and basil, EVOO and fresh mozzarella made by Lotsa Pasta, a local shop.

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:36 am

Beautiful picture Robin.....are they from your garden?

Tonight at our casa is beef enchiladas made from local beef, with my roasted hatch chiles, black olives, sharp cheddar, and a home made red sauce. A big green salad with our tomatoes on the side.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:53 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:Beautiful picture Robin.....are they from your garden?

Karen, Mary has been having horrible luck with the garden this year, and incredibly, except for some cherry tomatoes, our tomatoes have not ripened yet, more than a month past schedule.

These are the next-best thing, though ... they came from the big garden at St. Matthew's Episcopal Church, where they sell the produce as a fund-raiser after church on Sundays (and, one weekend a month, give them to hungry families at the food pantry). So they came from a place we're connected with, organically grown heirlooms grown with our hands involved in the work. :lol:
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:15 pm

Last night's dinner was pad prik gai bai krapao (Thai stir-fried chicken with bird chiles and holy basil).

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:20 pm

Fresh Dungeness Crab. Caught my limit today thanks to a local pal who knew our boat was in the shop offering us a mercy ride.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:05 pm

Spicy Cajun-style gumbo with garden okra and tomatoes.

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:23 pm

I just threw a chuck roast on the stove to braise with just salt and fresh bay leaves. No idea what I'm going to turn it into, but beef-potato-green chile tacos (for textural complexity as well as lowering the % of animal-related calories) are on the short list.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:46 pm

Organic lamb chops with evoo, salt, pepper, and fresh rosemary on the grill. Trying our first green beans on the grill too in a mix of evoo, cumin, smoked paprika, and charred. Orzo with a mix of oven roasted eggplant, red and gold bell peppers, red onion, garlic slivers, and dressed with a lemon vinaigrette at the finish.
no avatar
User

Shaji M

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:24 pm

by Shaji M » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:19 pm

Yesterday was paella night! Paired admirably with a 2012 Robert Sinskey Vin Gris, it almost made us forget the smoke blowing into town from the fire up in the Tahoe National forest!
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:16 pm

Had to finish up the home made stringozzi so took some chicken gizzard ragu out of the freezer and made a serving for two. Still with lots of fresh multicolored cherry tomatoes and Japanese cucumbers so some type of salad incorporating these elements is daily on the table.
Tomorrow zucchini lasagna - grilled thin slices of zucchini layered with cheeses - taleggio, parm , herbs and simple marinara. Much easier than pasta lasagnas.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:27 pm

We smoked St Louis ribs again and they came out much better this time; tho we didn't change anything! For sides we had Farro Salad, and Wax Beans straight from the garden in butter and fine herbs. Washed it down with Harpoon Oktoberfest Brew. Yum!
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:46 pm

Tonight we had a simple salad of fresh figs and grilled halloumi cheese on arugula with a ginger-honey vinaigrette and some pistachios sprinkled on top. Very tasty.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:33 pm

Tonight it is chicken leg, thighs and wings with a spicy rub, cooked on the grill. Sangre de Toro beans, with onion, garlic, red jalapeño, chipotle powder, smoked paprika, Mexican Oregano, my pickled banana peppers, and fire roasted tomatoes. Also, Romano Beans quickly cooked with evoo, lots of smashed garlic and fresh rosemary. I have lots of beans in the house right now! :D
PreviousNext