Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Rainy Wednesday Lunch @ Tsukiji.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Noel Ermitano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:28 am

Rainy Wednesday Lunch @ Tsukiji.

by Noel Ermitano » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:31 am

Wednesday morning, the 21st August 2013, Catha & I attended the funeral mass of our friends' mom. Since Catha is related to them, we lingered a while after greeting and chatting with some relatives and family friends. It being noon by the time we left, we decided to have lunch in Makati, and, thus, proceeded to Tsukiji for what we intended to be a light and healthy meal.

It was business as usual despite the ridiculous rain in Metro Manila's oldest, consistent, upscale bastion of fine Japanese cuisine.

Hontoro Sashimi from Japan.

Hamachi Sashimi.

Tako, Cucumber, & Seaweed Sunomono.

Tokujo Nigiri (which served as my main course).

For her main course, Catha had the Gindara Teriyaki. We, coincidentally, bumped into Eric & Cinthy Recto who were there for lunch with their sons. Everything we had was of admirable standard - from ingredients' quality, the chef's knife skills, and service. Though definitely a healthy meal, it turned out to be by no means light.

The only thing that annoyed me was this fellow in the next table who kept talking loudly into his mobile (despite my repeatedly staring straight at him meaningfully), conducting his office affairs during lunch - but that was his own utter lack of breeding, and not at all the restaurant's fault. Thankfully, he arrived after us, finished up quickly, then left before we finished our meal. Money certainly doesn't guarantee good manners, or even common decency.
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

Re: Rainy Wednesday Lunch @ Tsukiji.

by Jon Peterson » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:28 am

Amazing post, as is the norm for you, Mr. Ermitano. I especially would enjoy the Hontoro Sashimi any time of the day or night, it looks wonderful.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:33 am

Money certainly doesn't guarantee good manners, or even common decency.
Great comment and I intend to add this to my list of retorts. It seems these days with all the rude and bad mannered folks, one needs a snappy retort now and then.
Great post by the way.....you know how to eat well.
no avatar
User

Noel Ermitano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:28 am

by Noel Ermitano » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:29 am

Jon Peterson wrote:Amazing post, as is the norm for you, Mr. Ermitano. I especially would enjoy the Hontoro Sashimi any time of the day or night, it looks wonderful.

Thank you, Jon, and, please, call me "Noel". It was really good, as it always is in this restaurant.

Karen/NoCA wrote:Great comment and I intend to add this to my list of retorts. It seems these days with all the rude and bad mannered folks, one needs a snappy retort now and then.
Great post by the way.....you know how to eat well.

Thank you, Karen. Yes, too many people in restaurants are oblivious as to how their loud conversations bother other diners.

Best to you both,

N