The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Too bad, I liked the wines

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Too bad, I liked the wines

by Dale Williams » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:36 am

I don't try to "vet" producers re social views, but once I read this I believe all of Bressan's wines would leave a very sour taste in my mouth:

http://dobianchi.com/2013/08/23/
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Wow....

by TomHill » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:41 am

Dale Williams wrote:I don't try to "vet" producers re social views, but once I read this I believe all of Bressan's wines would leave a very sour taste in my mouth:

Wow......absolutely appalled by his comments. I, too, liked his wines. No more.
Nice to see that BobbyStuckey removed his wines from the Frasca wine list. Kudos to Bobby.
Tom
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: Too bad, I liked the wines

by David M. Bueker » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:47 am

Wow. Just wow. That's disgusting and sad at the same time.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:47 pm

In Italy, people seem to have less complexes about making extreme racist comments than in most European countries. Politicians have made similar remarks about the lady in question. Even someone from the Front National in France would never be caught making a statement as crude as that; it doesn't mean though that they don't think it.

In the UK, an UKIP (UK Independence party) MEP was censured even in his own party for saying that a lot of foreign aid was going to Bongo Bongo land, but that is mild stuff by comparison. Again they probably all thought like that but wouldn't say it in public.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:29 pm

Yes Tim, I think the Italians seem to tolerate this more (witness the monkey calls at soccer players).
There are probably other winemakers (and cheesemakers, and tradesmen, etc) who I "support" whose views would make me reconsider if I knew, but at least they didn't share them on Facebook.
I'll note that in comments on dobianchi that Jamie Wolff (Chambers) says they are pulling from inventory, bravo.
no avatar
User

Craig Winchell

Rank

Just got here

Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:09 pm

by Craig Winchell » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:00 pm

I just wonder about the legitimacy of this whole thing. Is it not possible to either fabricate a web page for the purpose of screen capture or to hack the facebook page for the purposes of posting an embarassing comment or 2? Note I am not taking sides, just playing devil's advocate. If someone actually saw the comments on the facebook page, then the first objection is obviously immaterial. If so, I am sure he'll receive enough flak to require a response.
Last edited by Craig Winchell on Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:08 pm

Wow! That's stunning.

We have had several of his wines in the past and I think that we have couple Verduzzo Friuliano
in our cellar. I'm afraid they have suddenly spoiled. Down the drain with them.

What an ass-hat.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:35 pm

Craig Winchell wrote:I just wonder about the legitimacy of this whole thing. Is it not possible to either fabricate a web page for the purpose of screen capture or to hack the facebook page for the purposes of posting an embarassing comment or 2? Note I am not taking sides, just playing devil's advocate. If someone actually saw the comments on the facebook page, then the first objection is obviously immaterial. If so, I am sure he'll receive enough flak to require a response.

In my opinion Craig, you make a reasonable Devil's Advocate point. If we've learned anything about viral stories online, it's that they aren't always true.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:39 pm

Craig Winchell wrote:I just wonder about the legitimacy of this whole thing. Is it not possible to either fabricate a web page for the purpose of screen capture or to hack the facebook page for the purposes of posting an embarassing comment or 2? Note I am not taking sides, just playing devil's advocate. If someone actually saw the comments on the facebook page, then the first objection is obviously immaterial. If so, I am sure he'll receive enough flak to require a response.

actually quite a few people apparently saw the comments, with at least 2 separate screen captures by people who followed him on Facebook. Later the racist comments were removed, though the politcal parts remained. Which seems to indicate he has control over his FB page. I of course will keep an open mind, and would love it if this were shown to be a hack. But if it is a hack, it's a very sophisticated one, because he (or someone with control of his accounts) just posted a very long comment on dobianchi defending his comments (and claiming not to be a racist,because he has people working for him of all races). Just read comments/
no avatar
User

Fredrik L

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:54 pm

by Fredrik L » Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:26 am

No hack, to be sure. Why hack someone´s webpage to write what so many Italians believe, nothing embarrassing about that! In the curious Italian social landscape it is politically correct to be politically incorrect. If you would try to insult a winemaker you should hack his FB and write that illegal immigrants should be given free medical aid and that grape workers form Maghreb should be treated better; now THAT would be incriminating! :evil:

BTW, I have met this racist and his winery is on my list of never-buys no matter what the wines taste like, just because the people behind it are so obnoxious. (On this list you may also find Royal Tokaji Wine Company, Coulée de Serrant and Deiss.)

Greetings from Sweden / Fredrik L
no avatar
User

Oliver McCrum

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:08 am

Oakland, CA; Cigliè, Piedmont

by Oliver McCrum » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:00 pm

Dale Williams wrote:I don't try to "vet" producers re social views, but once I read this I believe all of Bressan's wines would leave a very sour taste in my mouth:

I liked them too. Oh well.
Oliver
Oliver McCrum Wines
no avatar
User

Andrew Bair

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:16 pm

Massachusetts

by Andrew Bair » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:39 pm

Another one here who used to like the wines, but will definitely no longer buy them in the future. There is no need for Bressan's racism or arrogance on this planet.