The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Wehlener Sonnenuhr vertical MoCool 2013

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Tom N.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:17 pm

Soo, Ont.

Wehlener Sonnenuhr vertical MoCool 2013

by Tom N. » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:41 pm

Here are my tasting notes. Please excuse their brevity. I was a bit under the weather when this tasting was happening. I also found it difficult to get a good nose on the small pours we had, but we wanted to share these gorgeous rieslings with as many MoCoolers as possible. Unfortunately, we ran out of time before the next vertical was scheduled (Pegau) and were unable to do the horizontal tasting. We also missed the last two wines of the vertical. All wines were very good to excellent. Ratings are mine except for consensus #1 and #2.

MoCool 2013 Sundial (Wehlener Sonnenuhr) Vineyard Veritcal Tasting
Tasting notes by Tom Noland

Wine and contributor, Color + Nose, Taste, Finish, Rank
1989 JJ Prum Kabinett Mike Conner Light straw with a shy nose of light lemon Beautiful layers of peach and pineapple Long luscious finish 3rd?

1989 JJ Prum Spatlese Mike Conner Golden yellow. Rich ripe orange nose. Rich tropical fruit with layers of flavor. Mangos and lemons. Great combination! Long, rich fruit finish with sparkling acidity My #1, overall #2

2001 Kerpen Auslese Joshua Kates Clear straw yellow. Lemon nose Lemon curd with apricots and juicy acidity. Medium long gorgeous finish of lemon curd and peach

2002 Kerpen * Spatlese Howie Hart Pale yellow. Light petrol and peach nose Good fruit with a seamless midpalate Medium long with lingering acidity.

2005 JJ Prum Goldkap Auslese John Trombley Deep rich yellow. Sweet tropical fruit on the nose. Gorgeous tropical fruit and light petrol with layers of flavor, esp. pineapple that just won’t quit. Long luxurious finish of tropical fruit especially sensuous mangos Consensus #1. My #2, but real close to 1989 spatlese

2005 Studert Prum Kabinett Jeff Lake Light straw. Shy nose of light lime Good fruit with lemon squirt acidity. Nice medium long finish

2005 F. Weins-Prüm Spatlese Jeff Lake Corked!

2006 JJ Prum Spatlese Joshua Kates Clear straw. Expressive nose of petrol and citrus.Midpalate of lemon curd and nice acidity. Medium long acidic fruit finish. 4th?

2007 Studert Prum Spatlese Tom N Light straw Petrol and limes on the nose Sweet, ripe citrus and cleansing acidity Medium long citrus finish.

2008 Studert Prum Kabinett Tom N Clear straw Petrol and citrus nose Great acidity with lemon drops and ripe oranges Nice finish of acidic fruit esp lemons

2008 Fr. Friedrich-Kern Kabinett Sue and Neil C. Clear straw Ripe orange nose Great midpalate of refreshing acidity and citrus Medium long finish of citrus

2008 Studert Prum Kabinett Tom N Light straw Petrol and peach nose Light midpalate of lemonade Medium long lemony finish

2009 Dr. Pauly Bergweiler Spatelese Jane C Light straw Petrol and light fruit nose Lemons and peaches with a hint of apricot. Medium long citrus finish

Additional wines added after list was made:

1989 Kerpen Auslese Chris Weber Clear straw Shy nose Great fruit Long finish

1998 JJ Prum (kabinett, I think) Bobby Franks Straw yellow. Light pear nose with some orange Beautiful acid with nice orange and lemon Medium long with good fruit and acidity.

2003 JJ Prum Auslese Steve Lasater Light straw. Light petrol and apricot. Quite sweet with ripe pineapple and mangos. Long finish of tropical fruit esp. pineapple
Last edited by Tom N. on Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom Noland
Good sense is not common.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: Wehlener Sonnenuhr vertical MoCool 2013

by Howie Hart » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:33 am

Thanks for posting and organizing this, Tom. This was the highlight of the event for me - well, that and Alan's superb dinner. All the wines were excellent - not a bad one in the bunch, but I have to go with the consensus - the 2005 JJ Prum Goldkap Auslese stood out. The similarities were evident. It was interesting to note the gradual change in hue from light straw in the younger wines to gold in the older ones.
WRT to your asterisk, my contribution to the vertical was 2002 Kerpen Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese, not Kabinett. I also brought two wines for the horizontal. I opened the 2007 S.A. Prüm Kabinett later in the evening - medium straw, citrus and proper balance of acid and sweetness - very nice! However, it sat in the cooler, pretty much untouched, as everyone was drinking reds by then, so I never opened the 2007 Kerpen Kabinett and brought it back home with me. I will report on it when I open it.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:53 pm

Seems like a real treat, would have had a great time sampling this lot!!
no avatar
User

Tom N.

Rank

Wine guru

Soo, Ont.

by Tom N. » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:25 pm

Howie Hart wrote:Thanks for posting and organizing this, Tom. This was the highlight of the event for me - well, that and Alan's superb dinner. All the wines were excellent - not a bad one in the bunch, but I have to go with the consensus - the 2005 JJ Prum Goldkap Auslese stood out. The similarities were evident. It was interesting to note the gradual change in hue from light straw in the younger wines to gold in the older ones.
WRT to your asterisk, my contribution to the vertical was 2002 Kerpen Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese, not Kabinett. I also brought two wines for the horizontal. I opened the 2007 S.A. Prüm Kabinett later in the evening - medium straw, citrus and proper balance of acid and sweetness - very nice! However, it sat in the cooler, pretty much untouched, as everyone was drinking reds by then, so I never opened the 2007 Kerpen Kabinett and brought it back home with me. I will report on it when I open it.

Hi Howie,

Glad you liked it. I changed your wine to a spatlese in the posting. I really enjoyed this tasting also. Sorry we did not get to the horizontal. I brought home some of my horizontal wines also. I also have to say that when I rated the wines, just about everyone comment to me, that to really get the best wine, you need to taste them side by each. I agree. That's why my number 1 and 2 are really close. May have changed my mind if I had compared them directly with each other.
Tom Noland
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:32 pm

Dear Tom, thanks so much for organising this tasting and I'm so glad I was able to contribute in a very small way – as an outsider it made me feel a little more like I was part of MoCool. My notes are in the order of vintage. I have a couple of variations in names – the 1998 I have recorded as Studert not JJ, I have a 2006 Kerpen auction wine from JT (my #1) and no notes for a 2003.

Note, there was a distraction of smoke from the meat cooking and where I have written 'smoky' I am not sure if it was the wine or the occasional wafts of wood smoke. MInd you I have got smokiness in Rieslings before where there was no distraction from a fire.

1989 JJ Prum Kabinett (Mike Conner)
Rich, unctuous with honeysuckle florals. Still retaining great acidity and length with a lovely citrus zing to the finish. Very fresh.

1989 JJ Prum Spatlese (Mike Conner)
Rich, unctuous, a little spicy – but to me lacked the fresh acid spine of the Kabinett.

1989 Kerpen Auslese 2 star (Chris Weber)
Yellow gold. Smoky nose. Honey palate. Rich, clean with a tickle of spritz, great acid spine with a smoky backbone. Fresh and long.

1998 Studert Prum Auslese (?)
Honey, spice, lemon curd and exciting freshness to the finish.

2001 Kerpen Auslese (Joshua Kates)
Smoky nose, a little fishy. Honey notes, lemon butter. Wondered from the nose if it was slightly corked and due to a bitterness to the finish decided some taint was there.

2002 Kerpen * Spatlese (Howie Hart)
Fresh, lively lemon acidity. Apple butter quality. Lovely mouthfeel and freshness to finish.

2005 JJ Prum Goldkap Auslese (John Trombley)
Wow – this is outstanding. Great spine of sweet orange acidity and mouthcoating viscosity. Underlying apple. Smoke. My #2

2005 Studert Prum Kabinett (Jeff Lake)
Dry Riesling nose. Rich citrus taste with a touch of honey. Nicely rounded edges (I like this quality in German Riesling) and a juicy finish.

2005 F. Weins-Prüm Spatlese (Jeff Lake)
Corked!

2006 JJ Prum Spatlese (Joshua Kates)
Lovely clean spritz of zingy lemons and lemon honey. Great mouthfeel with citrus peel zing on the finish.

2006 Kerpen Spatlese (an 'auction' wine from John Trombley)
Unctuous, viscous, lovely blast of citrus intensity. Perfect – my #1 wine of the tasting.

2007 Studert Prum Spatlese (Tom N)
Clean, fresh with that lovely smooth apple butter nuance and a spiciness to the finish.

2008 Studert Prum Kabinett (Tom N)
A lighter wine with a suggestion of spritz to the texture and some honey notes to the finish.

2008 Fr. Friedrich-Kern Kabinett (Sue and Neil C).
A little more richness (than the Studert) with honey and lemon combining in harmony.

2009 Studert Prum Kabinett (Tom N)
This wine has a screwcap and showed a little reduction at first on nose. But it looks promising with those lovely lemon/apple butter notes, a suggestion of comb honey and a lively zing to the finish.

2009 Dr. Paully Bergweiler Spatlese (Jane C)
Honey, an intriguing smokiness and a textural silkiness.

Conclusion. I am reasonably familiar with Kerpen wines as they are available in New Zealand and I have always loved them. This tasting made me realise they are indeed one of the great producers of Wehlen.

Thanks to everyone who shared these spectacular wines.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:35 pm

This all sounds very interesting. Most of my WS has been from JJ Prum - of course - and then Willi Schaefer, maybe a few bottles of Weins-Prum. Would have been very interesting to taste all of these together. Although funny that this was just one 'sub-event' to the larger event!
no avatar
User

Tom N.

Rank

Wine guru

Soo, Ont.

by Tom N. » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:42 pm

Sue Courtney wrote:Dear Tom, thanks so much for organising this tasting and I'm so glad I was able to contribute in a very small way – as an outsider it made me feel a little more like I was part of MoCool. My notes are in the order of vintage. I have a couple of variations in names – the 1998 I have recorded as Studert not JJ, I have a 2006 Kerpen auction wine from JT (my #1) and no notes for a 2003.

Note, there was a distraction of smoke from the meat cooking and where I have written 'smoky' I am not sure if it was the wine or the occasional wafts of wood smoke. MInd you I have got smokiness in Rieslings before where there was no distraction from a fire.

2006 Kerpen Spatlese (an 'auction' wine from John Trombley)
Unctuous, viscous, lovely blast of citrus intensity. Perfect – my #1 wine of the tasting.

Conclusion. I am reasonably familiar with Kerpen wines as they are available in New Zealand and I have always loved them. This tasting made me realise they are indeed one of the great producers of Wehlen.

Thanks to everyone who shared these spectacular wines.

Hi Sue,

Thank you for your tasting notes. I did not taste the 2006 Auction wine that John T. brought. Somehow I missed it. I am sorry you missed the 2003, it was a nice wine although it was a last minute addition to the tasting (probably why you missed it). I am glad you could participate in this tasting and thank you for your wine. This was was the most extensive riesling tasting I have ever done, thanks in large part to the generosity of people like you and Neil. Even "Mr. Riesling" John Trombley told me that this was a great idea for a tasting theme. Hope to see you again some day. If I ever get back to New Zealand, I will look you and Neil up.
Tom Noland