Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Special Sunday dinner

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

Special Sunday dinner

by Jon Peterson » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:30 am

My daughter is a pastry chef during the summer and a college student the rest of the year. Last night, she and one of the line cooks she works with at a restaurant in Frederick made dinner for Liz and me. They started mid-afternoon and we ate around 8:00 PM. We had, among other things, a very savory sautéed chicken, wild rice risotto, sautéed corn off the cob and for dessert: fresh fruit pie with just-made ice cream.
The best part of the afternoon was listening to the two of them interacting with "Yes, Chef" being phrase most often heard; there was a good dose of laughter, too! There were just the two of them but, listening from another room you would have thought there was an entire brigade in there!
Liz and my part of the deal was to do the cleaning up; it was well worth it since the food was outstanding. I cannot believe the flavors that were created.
I think I could get used to having two cooks in the house full time!
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

Re: Special Sunday dinner

by Carrie L. » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:50 pm

I just KNEW I was missing out on something by not having kids. ;)
That sounds like a wonderful day, and you have good reason to be proud. The dinner sounded delicious. Especially the fruit pie and homemade ice cream! Perfect summer fare. Thanks for sharing.
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:13 am

Oh, I love a proud daddy. You're a lucky man.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:02 pm

Looks like she had serious "good work" training Jon. Good for you and Liz. The first time our daughter moved out of our home and into an apartment with a girlfriend, she invited Gene and I over for dinner. They had a nice table set with flowers. Those two girls cooked us a very tasty dinner. We were very proud of them and felt so honored to be the first guests in their apartment.
K