Very marinated chicken

Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

Very marinated chicken

Postby Mike Filigenzi » Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:15 pm

Last Saturday, I made oven fried chicken that involved a marinade of buttermilk, spices, and a good dose of hot sauce. After using up all of the breading, I still had three or four boneless thighs left. I ended up putting them back in the refrigerator, still in the marinade. On Thursday, I realized they were still there, so I pulled the Zip-lock out and gave them a smell. Everything seemed in order, so I pulled them out, let the excess marinade drip off, and put them on a rack over a pan in a hot over. They came out really nicely, with good depth of flavor and some heat from the sauce.

I'm thinking I may start doing this sort of thing on a more regular basis.

"An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made, in a very narrow field" - Niels Bohr
Mike Filigenzi
Known for his fashionable hair

Re: Very marinated chicken

Postby Jenise » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:32 pm

Today, we too means joyed some chicken that spent a couple days longer in suspense than planned. And it, too was great. Chicken's so scary though, I would never actually plan it this way.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher

Postby Tom NJ » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:06 pm

Jenise wrote:Today, we too means joyed some chicken....

Lol. I dunno, Jenise. It seems like some rather interesting psychotropic compounds may have formed in there.
"He ordered as one to the Menu born...."
Tom NJ
Ultra geek

Postby Mike Filigenzi » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:56 pm

Chicken is a bit on the scary side, and I don't know that I'd go five days again. Maybe three, though.

"An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made, in a very narrow field" - Niels Bohr
Mike Filigenzi
Known for his fashionable hair

Postby Karen/NoCA » Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:04 pm

There's a slight acidic component to buttermilk, which helps keep down bacteria. I think I'd worry more about the buttermilk breaking down the chicken and turning it to a less than desirable texture, but obviously that did not happen.
Karen/NoCA
Hunter/Gatherer

Return to The Forum Kitchen