Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.
User avatar
User

Craig Winchell

Rank

Wine guru

Posts

1003

Joined

Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:09 pm

Re: Judge for Yourself / WeeksEnd wine

by Craig Winchell » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:00 pm

As it turns out, I had the 2012 Terrenal Tempranillo last Shabbos, and can vouch for its quality. Surprising. Light and extremely fruity, neither complex nor a powerhouse, this was certainly drinkable and cheap (gift), and even quaffable. I enjoyed it for kiddushes and havdalah, and then drank my wines as the main event.
User avatar
User

David Raccah

Rank

Wine guru

Posts

2431

Joined

Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:18 am

Location

Bay Area, CA

Re: Judge for Yourself / WeeksEnd wine

by David Raccah » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:51 pm

Craig Winchell wrote:As it turns out, I had the 2012 Terrenal Tempranillo last Shabbos, and can vouch for its quality. Surprising. Light and extremely fruity, neither complex nor a powerhouse, this was certainly drinkable and cheap (gift), and even quaffable. I enjoyed it for kiddushes and havdalah, and then drank my wines as the main event.


LOL!!! I found the tannins on that wine to be the star - mouth coating tannin that take it a bit above quaffer to nice wine.
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
no avatar
User

Sam M

Rank

Ultra geek

Posts

174

Joined

Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:28 am

Re: Judge for Yourself / WeeksEnd wine

by Sam M » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:07 pm

David Raccah wrote:
Craig Winchell wrote:As it turns out, I had the 2012 Terrenal Tempranillo last Shabbos, and can vouch for its quality. Surprising. Light and extremely fruity, neither complex nor a powerhouse, this was certainly drinkable and cheap (gift), and even quaffable. I enjoyed it for kiddushes and havdalah, and then drank my wines as the main event.


LOL!!! I found the tannins on that wine to be the star - mouth coating tannin that take it a bit above quaffer to nice wine.


I still stay Yuch. But I have another bottle. I promise to be objective.
User avatar
User

ChaimShraga

Rank

Wine guru

Posts

817

Joined

Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:53 am

Location

Tel-Aviv, Israel

Re: Judge for Yourself / WeeksEnd wine

by ChaimShraga » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:14 pm

Two Rieslings, German Rieslings:

Peter Jakob Kuhn, Rheingau, Riesling Sekt Brut, 2010

This is still very young and unformed, all about green apples and chalk, without the brioche-led complexity that comes with bottle age. Nice and tasty, but Id go for the 2007 if it's still available.

A nightcap back at home:

Dr. Loosen, Mosel-Saar-Ruwer, Ürziger Würzgarten, Riesling Auslese, 2009

Complex and nuanced aromas and flavors of apples, nectarines, wet stones, ginger - stop me if you've heard this one before, this shouldn't be about descriptors anyway, but rather in the aloof way it invites you to seduce it. The way it offers that elegant, airy yet intensive, mix of sweet and saline, who could resist?
Positive Discrimination For White Wines!
http://2GrandCru.blogspot.com
User avatar
User

Craig Winchell

Rank

Wine guru

Posts

1003

Joined

Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:09 pm

Re: Judge for Yourself / WeeksEnd wine

by Craig Winchell » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:41 pm

Sam M, it is evident that David likes it more than me. To me, it's drinkable, quaffable and cheap. To David, it seems to be good drinking, a "nice wine" beter than a quaffer. But in any case, I think it's far more than yuck. Not only I, but also my oldest son, several daughters and my wife were all surprised, because this was a gift, and it was drinkable. That hardly ever happens in our house, since people typically give us Jeunesse, which is what they like best, but which I can't quite drink.
no avatar
User

Alexander F

Rank

Ultra geek

Posts

462

Joined

Sun May 02, 2010 7:44 am

Location

Israel

Re: Judge for Yourself / WeeksEnd wine

by Alexander F » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:44 pm

ChaimShraga wrote:Two Rieslings, German Rieslings:
Dr. Loosen, Mosel-Saar-Ruwer, Ürziger Würzgarten, Riesling Auslese, 2009

Complex and nuanced aromas and flavors of apples, nectarines, wet stones, ginger - stop me if you've heard this one before, this shouldn't be about descriptors anyway, but rather in the aloof way it invites you to seduce it. The way it offers that elegant, airy yet intensive, mix of sweet and saline, who could resist?

No one could! Except if he only drinks kosher :lol: :P
I tasted this wine at Loosen last visit. It is Delicious. Gave it 92pts, same as Parker score. Loosen is a king.
Interestingly, I haven't seen any Trocken Rieslings as if the importers are deliberately leaving the dry Riesling to Alsace kingdom. Not that I have smth against Alsace, on the contrary.
no avatar
User

Alexander F

Rank

Ultra geek

Posts

462

Joined

Sun May 02, 2010 7:44 am

Location

Israel

Re: Judge for Yourself / WeeksEnd wine

by Alexander F » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:53 pm

Sam M wrote:Sunday went to a friends birthday party which included a wine tasting. Most were not serious wine drinkers.
2007- Segal unfiltered cab - my favorite. a lot of character - many found it too course
2009- the cave - the crowd favorite. Well balanced
2010 covenant. - also a crowd favorite. Full body, muscular, brilliant
2009 Castel grand vin- many did not appreciate the pronounced Tannins

Sam,
A spectacular list for not serious wine drinkers. As to Castel, perhaps it needs more time? Did they have bad vintage? I had 2008 several months ago, an impressive wine, like a very good Bordeaux.
no avatar
User

Alexander F

Rank

Ultra geek

Posts

462

Joined

Sun May 02, 2010 7:44 am

Location

Israel

Re: Judge for Yourself / WeeksEnd wine

by Alexander F » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:13 pm

Craig Winchell wrote:people typically give us Jeunesse, which is what they like best, but which I can't quite drink.

Jeunesse??? Janasse!
User avatar
User

ChaimShraga

Rank

Wine guru

Posts

817

Joined

Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:53 am

Location

Tel-Aviv, Israel

Re: Judge for Yourself / WeeksEnd wine

by ChaimShraga » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:22 am

Alexander F wrote:
ChaimShraga wrote:Two Rieslings, German Rieslings:
Dr. Loosen, Mosel-Saar-Ruwer, Ürziger Würzgarten, Riesling Auslese, 2009

Complex and nuanced aromas and flavors of apples, nectarines, wet stones, ginger - stop me if you've heard this one before, this shouldn't be about descriptors anyway, but rather in the aloof way it invites you to seduce it. The way it offers that elegant, airy yet intensive, mix of sweet and saline, who could resist?

No one could! Except if he only drinks kosher :lol: :P
I tasted this wine at Loosen last visit. It is Delicious. Gave it 92pts, same as Parker score. Loosen is a king.
Interestingly, I haven't seen any Trocken Rieslings as if the importers are deliberately leaving the dry Riesling to Alsace kingdom. Not that I have smth against Alsace, on the contrary.


Giaconda seem to favor trocken Rieslings over 'classic' Germans.
Positive Discrimination For White Wines!
http://2GrandCru.blogspot.com
User avatar
User

David Raccah

Rank

Wine guru

Posts

2431

Joined

Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:18 am

Location

Bay Area, CA

Re: Judge for Yourself / WeeksEnd wine

by David Raccah » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:15 am

The 2009 Herzog Chard Special Reserve, the 2012 Hagafen White Riesling, Devoto, and 2009 Tura Portura:

http://kosherwinemusings.com/2013/08/25 ... -red-wine/
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
no avatar
User

Isaac C

Rank

Ultra geek

Posts

475

Joined

Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:53 pm

Location

NYC

Re: Judge for Yourself / WeeksEnd wine

by Isaac C » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:33 am

Sorry, late to the game on a few weeks. Dalton Cabernet Reserve 2009 - very nice and enjoyable. Weinstock Alicante Bouschet 2011 - did not like it.
User avatar
User

David Raccah

Rank

Wine guru

Posts

2431

Joined

Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:18 am

Location

Bay Area, CA

Re: Judge for Yourself / WeeksEnd wine

by David Raccah » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:39 pm

Indeed the 2011 AB - is a mess, much like the rest of the 2010 and 2011 wines from Herzog - a shame. Though the PS from Weinstock was nice in both 2010 and 2011.
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
Previous

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 2 guests

Powered by phpBB ® | phpBB3 Style by KomiDesign